Passives better than clickable spells?

Top Blood DK players of raider.io play

1. Heart strike not blood drinker
  2. Hemostasis not consumption
  3. Will of Necropolis not runetap
  4. Redthirst not bonestorm…

Why are clickable spells worse than passives?

1 Like

Global CD xD

4 Likes

SL interviews claimed that they want passives to be slightly worse than actives.

Note the want tho, the intent does not usually translate to the live Game

1 Like

Blood drinker is better than heartbreaker on pure single target, the problem here is that the slightest mismanagement of blood drinker will bring it below that. You are quoting raider.io - M+ is mostly an AOE situation, so with many targets, the additional runic power (hence potential self healing due to increased amount of death strikes) generated by heart strike with heartbreaker gets you a lot of value.

Hemostasis while being passive does change your rotation, since you will, additionally to your damage taken, take your hemostasis stacks into account to decide when to death strike.

Consumption is undertuned but it’s getting a 50% buff in SL, which will maybe make it better than Hemostasis

That’s an actual problem that Mandl has also written about. The cost of one rune for runetap does not justify using it vs the passive DR of WOTN - sadly. Runetap would be much more engaging and fun to play. I agree, Runetap needs a big buff. We will have Runetap baseline in Shadowlands but even then it’s not always worth using, especially with heartbreaker you will lose a lot of RP generation by using rune tap.

That’s only a highest-keys thing. In mid-ranged keys (15-17), bonestorm is 10 seconds of near-immortality depending on affixes. Also keep in mind that Twilight Devastation plays into this because a twilight dev proc during vamp hits harder than a twilight dev proc without vamp. RT increases your overall vamp uptime.

The DK discord is super helpful with these kinds of questions. I’m sure you’ll find a lot of people there who can go much more into detail than I can: https://discord.gg/acherus - nontheless I hope this helped.

5 Likes

Soon: You just need to be in combat and passives will automatically attack everything around #BlizzardDesign2020

1 Like

1: HS is better for AOE but blood drinker is better for ST.
2: While hemo is a passive it only rewards you by using an active ability. It’s not something that benefits you without actively playing.
3: True.
4: Red thirst is the best talent in the game fight me irl.

Cannot say for death knight, but I have just in general found my life easier when I do not have to worry about more and more active spell “choices” as an arcane mage. I do not even run Arcane Orb.

Sure the options are there… but it’s just a playstyle I prefer as someone with slower reflexes. It’s in my view better to remember rotations and the main attacks you must use (and boost those main attacks) instead of padding out your spell bar for more niche situations.

still not that bad.
go look on what essences and corruptions do.
for BM hunters the best way to play is to use Vision of Perfection which is passive and random. No control whatsoever. Reaping Flames passive proc dealing massive dmg too. Far more than any of my abilities.

1 Like

Sometimes active spells require precise rotation and CD management, so even if on paper they are better, it is just easier and better to play with a passive ability instead.

im not high professional player here but at somepoint too many clickable spells usually end up in the less used category with some spells so situacional that when that situation comes i forgot the spell existed. core damage rotation plus burst combination, some classes even ask you to prebuff before you commit to damage. add that to interrupts and other cant ignore utilities and this alone is already way too much. i think passives problem is they dont change how you play your class, they just add more damage or something, which makes it boring i think.

the big reason its persisiting is simply

they dont wanna work on BFA ANymore they’re just leaving the game to go to hell while they get SL Ready realistically.

Theres just no purpose wasting their time on balance waves etc etc when we’re so close to them simply changing everything again

WoW in 2022:
Spam W and the game will do everything for you.

…Oh yeah we already have a lot of those… basically all “flying lightning” quests

As a Blood DK I can say It’s true. Passives work better than click abilites. It gives You constant healing not just ocassional that’s on cooldown. And on global.
So You have HP on hight lvl at all times, not waiting till It’s get low to click healing.

Personally I don’t think more active buttons necessarily makes for a more nuanced or interesting spec, let alone a more “fun” one, depending on your definition of fun of course.

What seems to matter, at least from my perspective, is how well those buttons interact with each other. Whether you have 4 buttons, or whether you have 8 buttons, doesn’t really matter to me if their usage ultimately boils down to “Press things on cooldown, otherwise filler, maybe maintain buff”. What matters is how me pressing one button might influence which buttons I want to press next and for what reasons.

It’s worth mentioning passives can be as good, if not better, at adding spell interactions that provide nuance and complexity than actives can. Just this is often not the case with most of the talent rows blizzard have designed.

Yes I know what you mean, and I think passives should be strong so that players who dont like pressing them can still play well. However, I think clickable should always be superior even if a little.

For me:
blood drinker ranged - something to do when im not in melee range,
Consumption nice to press with vampiric blood to get increased healing,
Runetap for heavy damage situations - i can control my defensives
Bonestorm when i know im going to pull big.

But now it is not worth taking these spells and I have a lot less to press - a lot less to do, removes fun from me.

I think for this specific case I agree, but I’d also argue it’s more because these passives are dull, than the active is particularly interesting. I don’t find “press on cooldown” buttons particularly compelling, no matter how many of them my talent tree allows me to take, especially if besides “Press on cooldown” they have no impact on what other buttons I want to use, when, or why.

Blooddrinker, as you say, has a bit more to it in that it’s one of the few skills a DK can use from range. And tanks are much less “press on cd” than other specs tend to be. Either way it’s a problem across the game, not just for blood.

Yes of course, forced spells can very boring. Like iron fur on guardian, with no animation, just spam it to keep stacks…

I’d say Ironfur doesn’t fit into this category personally. The whole concept of “Applies stacks, does not refresh them” is actually interesting, because it makes you think about resource pooling and trying to optimise your defensive capabilities. The ability fails in other ways, as does guardian druid as a spec if I’m being really honest, but ironfur at least has something going for it.

…‘clickable’…?

Spell that you can interact with actively?