Pathfinder and the Shadowlands Leveling Revamp

So uh… in the Shadowlands revamp we can choose any expansion and level entirely within it from 10-50 right? Let’s say I choose WoD, Legion or BfA.

Do I have access to the flying I spent months working towards immediately or will it be locked behind some arbitrary level gate in addition to being locked behind an obtuse achievement that I wasted months obtaining?

Currently you have flying automatically by the time you reach those expansions, but in Shadowlands that might not be the case. Pathfinder is kinda pointless if I can only use it for the last one or two zones.

They’ve not made a statement on that yet other than they’re looking into it and have yet to decide the specifics of flying.

Next question.

1 Like

Was there not rumours that WoD flying was getting changed from pathfinder? Or was that just hopeful thinking?

It would make sense that they remove pathfinders for older xpacs and put the achievements into legacy for those who already have them but make flying a purchase for those who haven’t done them.

I can’t see them taking flying away from those who have done pathfinder though as the uproar would be a nightmare for them.

3 Likes

Some expansions are designed with flying in mind. Maybe slow flying will be unlocked at 20-30lvl?

I really hope they make some changes to Pathfinder. Time gated content puts me off playing the game.

4 Likes

Pretty sure a dev said in an interview that they’d rethink how you would get pathfinder in shadowlands but I have no source to provide.

You should most likely get pathfinder over the course of the leveling experience and get to keep your previous pathfinders

Why are oranges orange?

3 Likes

how will you even get the gold for flying by level 10 or so exactly?

Make it free for expansions that you have pathfinder for.

Or just send the gold from a main to an alt.

I could swear that during Blizzcon Ion said pathfinder would remain the same for the new expansion. They think that model is the best compromise. I don’t remember him saying anything about the achievements of the older expansions. I don’t mind the change to gold, as long as it doesn’t affect the players that already have the achievement. Not having to buy flying for every alt is the only advantage of pathfinder.

2 Likes

considering that the levels are going from 120-60 it might make some sense that the requirement for flying would also be halved, as 120 will be dropped to 50, then i think it might be safe to assume that you will need to be 25 to unlock flying as thats half after the change

I meant that previous pathfinder will still be a thing but that they would change how you get it, IE maybe not spending 10 days farming a max level zone but rather earn it while leveling your character.

There should be another pathfinder in shadowlands tho, and 8.3 shows that they plan to add more realistic threats rather than just forbidding you from using your mounts (8.3 zones have giant flying worms which will kill you if you fly around the map for too long, but that you can dodge if you pay attention)

i think they’ll change pathfinders when they realise very few people are levelling in dreanor/legion zones when the level squish has come in. If i remember right they said 1-10 would be ‘beginner friendly new experience’ then 20- 60 you could do in any expac. Flying will make it quicker so i can see these two sepcifically being missed out on if people havent got the relative pathfinders in them (people like me who started pre-BFA)

IMO keep pathfinder for current expac, it gates it to ~ half way through the expac. have old content (dreanor, legion, bfa) pathfinders be bought with gold or if already received the pathfinder then kept unlocked with no cost.

1 Like

Draenor is still the fastest level range in the game, being able to do it in 2-3h

The pathfinder system is staying for Shadowlands, we will have to unlock flying the same as we have in BfA.

The thing that is TBC is how old expansions will work that required pathfinders in the past. Obviously it ruins the element of choice for levelling if some expansion you can and can’t fly in. So they said they’d get back to us on that.

2 Likes

seems like you playing wrong genre if you dont like grinding for rewards. :joy:

Flying isn’t a reward.

3 Likes

What is it then? Pretty hard to sell it as “essential” outside of those very limited pockets of content (which are now redundant) which actually require flight. They’re not needed at all the current game however. I kissed goodbye to Ogri’la once Tbc was done and same for the Shatari Skyguard stuff. Never needed it again.

If flying isn’t a basic feature, what are ground mounts then?

Might as well get rid of those too, 'cause you can walk, run and use flightpaths. And portals.

5 Likes

Oranges are not always orange.

The colour of an orange depends on where it grows. In more temperate climes, its green skin turns orange when the weather cools; but in countries where it’s always hot, the chlorophyll is preserved and the fruit stays green.

Next!

4 Likes