Pet Peeve: The Undying

“Hey I’m not a native speaker so you have to extra-excuse my mistakes!”
Except, I’m also not a native speaker and it makes my eyes bleed.
Does that mean, since I am not a native speaker, I have the right to correct you more than native speakers?
I’ve seen native speakers make awful mistakes.

I might have made some comma mistakes or something.

I apparently dripped some stew juice into my beard and I didn’t notice until I ran my fingers through it ew.

but at least it wasn’t on my tshirt I guess.

No, being corrected is regarded a personal assault and the person being helpful is automatically an arrogant fashy tyrant trying to police people’s RP and online activity. How dare they be so presumptuous without paying the other person’s subscription? Rude!

Peeve:

I can’t log onto the blizzard launcher and my internet turned sluggish for reasons. I guess that’s my cue to sleep.

1 Like

Nor can I, think its a blip in the matrix.

Maintenance, they apparently broke something in the login service.

1 Like

Thanks to the free weekend, I now have my very own Zandy Troll now, yaaaay! Aaand… I’ve no idea what to do with him.

I mean, I can’t invest leveling time in to him, due to the whole “Free weekend” deal, so if I want to Roleplay and play with him, it’ll have to be with him permanently being stuck to level 20 (If I wish to log in to WoW without a subscription of course). Which also means limited 'mog options, limited locales to be in, and… Huh, more or less be a street urchin I suppose.

Which will kind of be inconvenient, all things considered.

The Epic store, even if it wasn’t a suspicous tool full of data harvesting for China… it’s a crappy store launching like a beta version of the Steam store.

Yet people defend it?

That’s what I don’t get, how can you defend a store that is playing ‘catch up’ on features that have been common place for years?

It’s like someone launching a new mobile phone to compete with the big boys… but you launch something straight out of the seventies, yet people still defend you.

I reckon it’s more of a dartboard they launch a mini frostmourne replica at, with chances ranging between a two hour forum suspension to twenty-four hours. Bullseye on Gallywix’s nose gets you banned entirely.

3 Likes

Easy, it has a lot of offshore technology on the backend that needs to be integrated, doubling the work you need to dedicate to actually allow these common features connect seamlessly

:slight_smile:

I haven’t so much as seen anyone defend it, more so just seen people rightly question people who pretend having to open a list other than steam is some kind of human rights violation.

1 Like

But it’s not weekend yet?

People are desperate for Steam to have real competition. I can’t blame them in all honesty. But bribing developers and publishers to have “exclusives” (On the PC of all things, something that would be the stuff if nightmares a few years ago) isn’t the way to go about that. Oh and last-minute changing to an Epic exclusive when the game was marketed as being on Steam and even is already listed on Steam is really scummy.

Christ even GoG gas a better client, store, sales and doesn’t rip the rug out from under Steam repeatedly.

I will be surprised if Steam doesn’t make a new policy that states that to have a game listed on Steam, it had to be imminently available on Steam. The Metro and Offworld steam pages are now just adverts for the epic store, frankly they should just take them down until the game can be bought. Even if only for a pre-order.

It’s bribing in about the same sense in which one would ‘bribe’ a baker for a bread, honestly. Business is business, ain’t nothing new there.

It’s closer to full on bribing to be honest, Epic are handing out a minimum sales contract, if a game goes exclusive to the Epic store and doesn’t sell as much as it ‘should’ have, Epic (well Tencent) pay for the unsold copies.

So they offer a guarantee to make some money even if their launcher or the game itself ends up being a flop?

Those bastards!

I call it bribing because there’s something very dirty about a game being advertised as being available on Steam, having a page on Steam, having pre-orders on Steam, then suddenly overnight the game suddenly isn’t available on Steam anymore because Epic dump a pile of money on a publisher.

To clarify I can get over the exclusivity deals in of themselves, as much as I dislike the notion of PC games being interexclusive like this, we’ve dealt with this since EA made Origin. But at least there all EA games were delisted off the store. Why is Metro and Offworld still listed on Steam the store?

To use your analogy: the baker promotes a brand new loaf of bread as being available in the red shop. The red shop is very popular and well liked. Then the day before the bread is sold, the baker suddenly says it’s on the blue shop instead. The blue shop is barely tolerated and lacks many capabilities that make the red shop appealing. When pressed for an explanation by both the red shop owners and customers who wanted to buy it at the red shop, the baker confesses the blue shop offered them an incredibly lucrative deal to do so. To rub salt in the wound, there’s a poster of that bread still in the red shop.

I’m not suggesting Epic are the bad guys, or that it’s a bad idea, but it’s not particularly consumer friendly and overall feels a bit underhanded to suddenly make a game a minimum one year exclusive from the store it was promised to be on. In the case of Metro steam even left a note on its store page explaining that they were not told about the deal until the last possible second, which is pretty bonkers.

Well if it wasn’t Tencent being involved, the data harvesting and unauthorised snooping into peoples PC’s, the data protection breaches and the lack of player reviews, then paying developers to be exclusive would only be an annoyance.

Instead it’s a bribe to draw more people into installing spyware disguised as a store, a store with less features even than Origin!

Ah, see, okay, this part I was unaware of. Yeah, bait and switch is very very not-straight and also lame.

From what I hear epic offers a p decent deal to the money folk so at worst they’ll break even. They pay for like 500k copies, if they sell more then hooray everyone wins, but if they sell less then epic pays for the unsold copies.

Everyone and anyone (Walmart lol?) deciding they need to launch a streaming service. Happening with games now, too. Like, I’m fine with healthy competition but I’m not paying for 5+ streaming services for individual games/shows. I’ll just get them “another” way.

1 Like