Pet Peeve: The Undying

Another swede? Oh dear.

What is up with your character icon? It looks like the hair is clipping through the glasses on one side of the face.

It does that in-game too.

Shave it off.

dat is not de wae

2 Likes

Can’t have a refugee crisis if there’s no refugees.

taps head memeingly

This is my biggest pet peevee: Climate change is real, but the anxiety especially young people feel about it being the literal end of the world is just bonkers and quite frankly very irresponsible that people are giving this anxiety to them.

Sure we’ll probably lose quite a few species, our ecosystems will be much poorer than before, some people will die, there’ll be a conflict here and there, but overall, things should be fine, as long as:

1. We figure out how to better recycle phosphor
  2. We transition to using a lot more nuclear energy for a short period of time while we wait for fusion to come out
  3. We eliminate absolute poverty from the world (already more than half-way there, in record time too!).

Those are all plausible goals to reach. Things will be fine.

There’s a mean part of me that thinks a bit of fear about what could happen to the planet might be good to get people to really think about it and look into these issues and solutions; such as the ones above.

1 Like

Considering nuclear energy is like one of the most volatile stuff ever, I’d argue against this. While it’s efficient in giving energy, it is also incredibly dangerous and needs decades, -many- decades for any afterspill or used up resources to not be straight up lethal to the nearby area.

I do think so too, it’s good to have that worry because otherwise the “Wh, screw it…we don’t need to worry yet” attitude is going to catch up very quickly(which it has kinda)

And frankly, I dont want my kiddoes to deal with those issues.

1 Like

Case in point: Chernobyl.

And that f**king thing in the plant is still there and very dangerous.

1 Like

Fortunately for us who live in Scandinavia, our lands are among the most stable in the world (part of the fenno-scandic shield), so we can quite literally rule out all the environmental catastrophes.

Germany in an absolutely moronic panic shut down all their nuclear power plants, naively thinking that they could replace the need for energy with solely natural gas (Dependent on russia), or renewables. BOY, were they wrong. 33% of their energy now comes from coal and it’ll probably get even higher.

Nuclear power is the only realistic, working solution in the mid-to-long term. Renewables aren’t enough (though are good substitutes) and Fusion is a good half a century away. Also, despite the catastrophes like fukushima and chernobyl, Nuclear power remains relatively safe, when compared to number of deaths, which for example failed dam projects have caused far more.

2 Likes

It’ll certainly make some agriculture unsustainable. Interependancy via trade agreements have countries growing some things but not others despite being able to, instead importing them and said agreements inevitably collapse with this change, adding economic hardship and more uncertainty.

Immigration north and south is already a new normal and will only grow in intensity with climate refugees.

Tell them no.

If you’re talking about “The Elephant’s Foot”, I believe that thing is even still oozing. o.o

Yepp, that is indeed the thing I’m talking about.

What?! What be it mon? Why you mons on here always be callin’ me name?

Your name is still wrong. :<

When the middle east is entirely uninhabitable from the heat, people will have to go north or die.

I’ll still say no.

We have our own problems, and I don’t want more of it. It’ll cause even more issues.
Is it cold to say such? Yeah, it is.

No? That is not at all what people are afraid of. Earth will be fine, it’s had much worse than us.

The problem is that we are making it harder and harder for us to live on it.

2 Likes

Not really. They got a sarcophagus around the actual site at the moment and due to half-life the radiation levels have already subsided significantly even at close vicinity to the area (That is, past 20 000 square kilometers). The elephant’s foot’s radiation levels are also reasonably easy to estimate, thanks to the 7/10 rule, meaning that the radiation levels have significantly reduced during the last 30 years.

End of the world seems like end of the world for humans- After all, there’s nobody left to perceive the world (at least with the same cognitive skills as us) into the future.

And we’re not really making it that bad for ourselves. To some people, clearly, but to some people not so much. And we can fix that- We actually are already.

Earth & humans will be fine from the environment over a long period of time. Short term is different but that doesn’t really matter for our species anyway.