Pet Peeve: The Undying

Kingdom Come: Deliverance by Warhorse Studios released on PC, Xbox One and PS4 on February 13, 2018

Clunkiness can feel extremely rewarding to the people that get into the details of the system, which is why people have nostalgia for that sort of gameplay. Yes, it’s unintuitive and frustrating to the people who don’t put the effort into understanding the system or working around its flaws but for the people who embrace the weirdness of it, there’s nothing more rewarding than managing to eke out an extra 10 DPS by exploiting a bizarre quirk of the system.

BFA has no bizarre quirks, no methods of gaming the system, and there’s no need to. You perfect your spec’s rotation, you learn the raid mechanics and you acquire your BiS. If you accomplish all of that, you can do any content in the game.
In vanilla, it wasn’t quite that simple. Rising to the next level involved wearing leather as a Fury Warrior because you needed that agility (which was non-existent on plate) for the crits, wielding the slowest possible mainhand and the fastest possible offhand on a Combat Rogue, having a set for every type of elemental damage even if the armour wasn’t appropriate for your class, and in one case, getting a certain pet because that pet granted a debuff that literally nullified an entire raid mechanic.

Was all of that necessarily good gameplay? No, and it was extremely hard to balance around, which is one of the reasons why weapon speed is normalised, resistances are almost entirely removed from the game, armour grants whatever stat your spec is meant to have and so on.
However, it was immensely rewarding for the people immersed in the system, whenever they managed to beat the system through whatever obscure and weird methods they devised.

3 Likes

I just miss RPG elements in my RPG.

Bring back resist gear. Make me prep for encounters. Make raids mean something. They don’t feel like the culmination of a storyline to me, anymore - I just kinda hit max level, jump into LFR and go “Huh, glad that’s done.” rather than hyping myself up for this ordeal.

I should really start playing it, I got it on Stoom :thinking:

Stoom eh? I prefer Steam myself.

Stoom’s best name for the platform, imho.

1 Like

Mordhau made Kingdom Come: Deliverance boring for me :frowning:

I think a lot of people, even those pining for the days of vanilla, wouldn’t appreciate Blizzard bringing back that busywork.

Yes, bring back more detailed choices when creating builds. Let us choose what weapons we want and make those choices meaningful. Do I want my abilities to hit as hard as possible and wield a big slow two-hander, or do I want the highest possible chance for my procs to occur and dual-wield a pair of quick weapons? That’s a good, meaningful decision-making process that should be brought back.

Resistance sets are a step too far though. If you want difficult, meaningful content that requires preparation, that’s already in the game in the form of mythic raiding. It’s just not rewarding.

2 Likes

Give me back Single-Minded Fury please, I don’t want to dual-wield 2handers.

8 Likes

Two-handed frost death knights prithee

4 Likes

That’s a pretty reasonable viewpoint, I just like the fluff of “oh we’re fighting a dragon, better bring a shield that can block fire” or something. It’s neat to me.

That too, it just felt, and looked better.

There’s even abilities in this expansion that make me wish for more weapon options.

Why can’t I dual-wield as an Unholy Death Knight and see what it’s like to stack up crazy amounts of Festering Wounds on a target in a matter of seconds using Unholy Frenzy, and to proc Sudden Doom all of the time, at the cost of having Festering Strike, Scourge Strike and other weapon-based abilities hit less hard?

It would add a whole different dimension to the game, yet Blizzard insists on an absurdly strict ‘class fantasy’ that specs cannot deviate from whatsoever.

9 Likes

Remember, somehow using one big sword as opposed to two quicker swords is better for protection

cries in single-minded fury

4 Likes

Because it’s a balancing nightmare. If the weapon options can’t be balanced to be nearly equal in performance then there is no choice to be made and the weaker option might as well not exist. I do believe that this is why Blizzard originally decided to prune these options, seeing how they struggle with balancing just 36 specs.

1 Like

Yeah, but it also killed off choice and made players p*ssed off, which is completely justified.
I’d gladly deal slightly less damage Dual-Wielding 1h as Fury, than using Titan’s Grip.

Same with DK using 1h/2h.

Let me have a choice, don’t just take it away like a butt munch.

3 Likes

Balancing is the death of multiplayer games tbh. It’s an impossible task without making everything do very similar stuff, which takes away the joy of choosing and feeling like you’re doing stuff that no one else can.

Balancing is a necessary evil though in a PvP game, so I don’t know what the solution is.

Easy, you remove PvP.

2 Likes

I mean min-maxers will always exist, and they’ll always find a cookie-cutter build that requires just so-and-so talents and equipment.
Removing options because they’re “hard to balance” and “people just end up using the best (output wise) build anyway” is one way to go about it, but in a world where I can either play an MMO with loads of customisability and few restrictions to find my own favorite playstyle even if it might not be the top-tier dps performer (ESO) or an MMO that has been pruned to the point where I can choose between three irrelevant talents every 15 levels or so and gotta grind that one boss to get that one weapon that exists for my class (WoW) I know I’d rather play the former.

1 Like