Pet Peeve: The Undying

One of the unfortunate realities of game development is that time and budget are not unlimited; there is enough content cut from expansions to make several new ones, because of the fact that the developers had to prioritise.

It’s a reality that people who slate Blizzard for not making playable Broken [I would like to see them too] or specific spec changes [I would like to see particular ones made too] or whatever specific thing they wish for in the game should take care to remember more often than they do.

Actually, it because Blizzard is prioritising profit over a good game now a Days, which you can quite clearly see. With MoP you could see the passion and love they had making it. Now compare it to BFA, I dont feel that passion at all.

Agreed. The absolute most stupid thing about the “back in those days” raids were the loopholes people would exploit to get into a decent guild and on an active roster. Sometimes just having more mats than the AH did was your ticket in.

As for difficulty/tactics…

In Vanilla was about working around dumb design or RNG slaps.
TBC you just brought warlocks everywhere with you.
Wrath you class stacked whatever broke the fight.

Seems like it’s not changing too much.

It was a thing in Diablo 2 wasn’t it?

Obviously slight differences between builds are fine and unavoidable. It’s a problem when it gets to the level where one build is significantly weaker than others. It will lead to the players of that build getting ostracized in group content (and rightfully so). Why should other players have to pick up your slack just so you can play your special build?

What you mean ‘‘rightfully’’? They pay the same dang sub as the rest, and should be allowed to play whatever way they want.

This is the reason I make my own Groups or go with Guilds, I’ll be allowed to play whatever spec/class I want without being yelled at. And in the case of my own Groups, I can kick whoever I want.

1 Like

The dark Warlock/Shaman days…

I did kind of like the logistical challenge that party-but-not-raid abilities like Windfury Totem gave, but I do also see how it was a bad thing overall.

Actually, it because Blizzard is prioritising profit over a good game now a Days, which you can quite clearly see. With MoP you could see the passion and love they had making it. Now compare it to BFA, I dont feel that passion at all.

A company’s first priority is always profit - everything else comes secondary, because if you don’t make money your company fails. I would bet small amounts of money that most of the people who worked on MoP also worked on BFA and they weren’t replaced by robots. I distinctly remember burning out on MoP and despite lots of people telling me I can’t I distinctly enjoy a lot of BFA.

I can’t look at Boralus from a distance, or just about any of the new and updated assets that have been made, and not see the passion and artistic work that went into it.

1 Like

Quite many have been replaced. Biggest loss was Metzen, who was the leadwriter during MoP still, iirc. And profits comes from making a good game, Blizzard is losing Money now compared to MoP, considering how few subs they have compared to MoP (10 mil).

And I don’t hate BfA, I still enjoy it enough to keep playing or I would’ve quite. I love the zones (especially Drustvar and Tiragarde Sound).

Unless the difference is bigger than let’s say 20% between the meme build and the meta one, I’d say let play people play whatever they want. Unless you’re a in a world 200 guild, it doesn’t really matter and your ability to play the spec you enjoy might as well carry you ahead of others.

2 Likes

Not if they actively hinder their group by doing so. The other people pay the sub too and they shouldn’t be forced to play with someone who can’t pull their own weight.

Yeah, that is fine. It’s when the build can’t carry its own weight that it becomes a problem.

1 Like

You only take rogues to m+, then?

Some specs will always be stronger or weaker.

I think the assumption that Blizzard is solely working for profit now is very cynical and likely doesn’t reflect their actual intentions. I have no doubt in my mind that the developers working on the game are passionate, and perhaps there is pressure from above to adapt game mechanics to increase play time and encourage resubs at certain times of year, but that the actual people shaping it love WoW and the work they do.

We might not love what they are doing a lot of the time, but I can’t imagine anyone crafting the zones that are in the game now not enjoying doing it. If anything if there is a reason they wouldn’t be passionate, it’s because every bit of work they do gets ravaged on the forums.

Not being a full on Blizzard defender here, I’m not fully on board with many of the decisions they’ve made over recent expansions, but I hate the assumption people make that they are just money grabbers and nothing more.

3 Likes

But you said

Now compare it to BFA, I dont feel that passion at all.

Do you think Tiragarde Sound and Drustvar were made without passion? That people did not care about the art they were creating?

1 Like

If the spec isn’t underperforming that badly, then it doesnt really matter.

Yeah, but MoP had more than 2 leveling zones that was passionate.
Just like WoD had great leveling, at max level it was terrible.

Nice excuses here, we all know you’re posting this because your uncle told you to.

When would you say that the build cannot carry its own weight? How large the DPS difference compared to the meta, min-max spec would have to be?

2 Likes

So, the two zones you personally enjoyed were made with passion and care, and everything else was cynical profiteering without care?

That’s convenient.

1 Like

They aren’t, at least not the developers, they are simply forced by Activision. Which is why it saddens me that Blizzard is just getting worse. :frowning:

What? No.

I like all zones, but those 2 are my favorite ones. And all leveling shows their passion. It’s just after that I don’t feel it as much as I did with Pandaria endgame.

And my main gripes comes to classes tbh, as they aren’t as enjoyable as Before.

1 Like

Yeah, but MoP had more than 2 leveling zones that was passionate.

You really need to work on your wording because this above clearly implies that only 2 zones were designed with love and care.

This being a backtrack from when you said that you felt that BFA had no passion at all.

Just say you don’t find BFA’s endgame engaging if that’s what you’re going to claim when challenged, my dude.