Pet Peeve: Wrath of the 20K Post Cap

I know nothing about the book series so everything I see in the TV show is completely new to me. I know there was a bad Golden Compass movie and I never watched it either. There were polar bears in it…?

Either way I’m enjoying it so far. The acting’s good, the theme song is an absolute banger and the story is decent. The concept of the daemons are interesting. My biggest gripe is having to wait each week for the next episode.

I’ve heard that the opening credits allegedly explains the entire story to you and is therefore a massive spoiler but only to those already in the know (i.e. book readers) since it’s very symbolic. I don’t understand any of it, but the visuals are neat.

Great theme

3 Likes

I don’t really want to spoil anything for you, so I won’t explain what is being mixed up but it’s pretty major. I put a spoiler up above in reply to Distantpeak if you really want to see it.

Overall it’s a really good adaptation though and I’m excited to follow it through. The second season is going to based on the second book which is quite exciting. Books are often better suited to long form media like TV as opposed to being crammed into a movie.

1 Like

Thanks :smiley:! It’s next Thursday so I’m already prepping for all potential questions or trap questions (Such as "Why wouldn’t I hire you? What did you think of your interview? What do you think of my way of going about it?) and I’m having my sisters (over the phone) play as the employer.

I’m pumped!

3 Likes

You guys have to be mindful of the victim… Just please this topic is bringing them attention that they don’t want, the kid is going through enough. The officials are dealing with the matter and so is Blizzard, but please don’t bring anymore attention to the victim and let her breath for at least a few hours…

1 Like

I should read “His Dark Materials” again, and then go onto “the Book of Dust” (i know there’s a new one out now too)

4 Likes

The first season feels a bit slow because it’s more setting up the whole, well, setting. If they do it right long term, I have faith it’ll turn out to be faithful to the books since a lot of adaptations suffer from not having enough time to set things up. First season so far is taking that chance.

Mind that this isn’t a bad thing, since despite being slow with pacing it’s still managing to capture my interest and have me anticipating for the next week’s episode.

1 Like

I haven’t read the new one(s) yet, haven’t had the time. I’ll have to see if they’re worth it.

i hope to god its not like his other series that starts with “Ruby in the smoke”

Because I couldn’t get into that series, at all.

Which is weird, because I liked his version of Springheeled Jack, I liked Count Karlstein.

Just could not do Ruby in the Smoke, i either quit halfway through that one, or at the beginning of the next book.

I’ll be honest, His Dark Materials is the only thing of his I ever read. I enjoyed but I never fell in love with it like the people telling me to read it did. I think I read it when I was already too old to get Lyra as a character.

I was way more interested in the religious undertones, as a theology student and practising Christian. Also the idea of daemons was super interesting.

It’s still hilarious to me that Harry Potter got so much flack despite coming out at around the same time as His Dark Materials that is so overtly anti-religion.

Speaking of Harry Potter, surprised JK Rowling hasn’t tried to get a TV adaptation of the books going for some extra cashola and more opportunities to interject random new lore into it.

She’s still recovering from the god-awful reception to Cursed Child and the second Fantastic Beasts movie.

I joke, that might require self-reflection from her.

4 Likes

Currently too busy milking the Fantastic Beasts franchise, as that has gone from 1 movie, to a planned trilogy to now potentially more.

I read the cursed child, and I’m fairly confident she didn’t write any of it and just took a story from one of those fanfiction websites.

It reads like the infamous “My Immortal” fanfic.

1 Like

Cursed Child is a low quality fan-fic at best, and Fantastic Beasts is just all over the place. I still haven’t seen the second one and have no rush to see it still, the first one was just such pointless trash.

She really needs to learn to just walk away and let it be.

2 Likes

Disagree. My Immortal was a lot more interesting with better twists and turns.

2 Likes

Fantastic Beasts has cool visuals and the magic is ultimately what I liked about Harry Potter in the first place, so I’m at the very least watching them for inspiration when it comes to magical RP.

I also enjoyed the first Fantastic Beasts, but Crimes of Grindelwald was just…

Like what was the point?

1 Like

Yeah the visual effects were great, real treat to watch.

What wasn’t great was having no idea what Newt was saying in the cinema because he mumbles and is so soft spoken. Also Colin Firth should have remained the villain, not Johnny Depp imho.

2 Likes

Crimes of Grindelwald’s intro/setup was nearly 2/3’ds of the movie. Nearly 2 hours of it was the basic setup.

JK Rowling doesn’t know how to direct at all.

This tbqh

I always took subtitles as a given thing since I come from a non-English speaking country, but I can see how that can be a problem when watching it the cinema in an English speaking country.

At this point I struggle to watch movies without subtitles. I don’t need them, but having lived my whole life with them in the movies, I find their absence distracting. My compromise is that I put on English subs on Netflix/HBO, etc. to make up for the fact that sometimes characters don’t speak clearly.

1 Like

The setting of FB being just “1920s new york” was a bit lame. It’s not exactly Hogwarts ya know?

I did like their weird execution room thing though in the ministry.

Johnny Depp should’ve pulled off a facemask at the start of the second movie revealing he was Colin Firth all along!

Yeah, I read it in senior school.

Harry Potter is the more famous of books, so it makes sense that it got blasted more.

I’m curious with how they’ll deal with the Amber Spyglass.

I didn’t enjoy either.

1 Like