Playing hard casters is not fun anymore

Did you say it to yourself after writing some bs post earlier?

The thing is; it’s alright to have hard casters or low mobility specs suffer in heavy movement fights. That’s how it should be. The issue is that they don’t make up for it in low movement fights. If your’e at the bottom of heavy movement fights, you should be near the top on low movement but that’s not the case. Affliction will also be better than demo on low movement fights. Fire will always be better than arcane or frost. There is simply no reason to play a hard caster beyond handicapping your self and your team.

What does this mean? There are always some specs that are not good for raiding, but the problem is that this is not about some spec, it’s just a whole class flavor: hard casters. If you enjoy playing classes with long hard casts, well too bad cause the devs don’t wanna bother tune them properly; they only tune the faceroll high mobility ones.

Well, holy priests are now pulling ahead and they are the most hard casting healer this expansion, so I’m not sure.

I haven’t noticed a fight with incredibly disruptive movement so far, but chaos bolt is a special case so it might be true.

Radiance is movement heavy, and Queen’s Court and Azshara both have mechanics which force you to move.

Disruptive movement is alright, even for hard casters but not when you’re a CD based class and you need to stand still during your CD. If you interrupt your cast and move, you just lost 1-2 seconds of cast time; that’s not a big deal. But when you lost 1-2 seconds of your CD time, you just lost 20% of that CD damage which could be something like 20% of all your damage if you’re a CD based dps. Now 20% less damage is not a big deal but during heavy movement encounters, you tend to lose like 50% of the CD damage, making you something like 30% less damage overall if you’re one of the hard casting CD classes. Besides the damage loss, it’s just not fun. You’re basically given a vehicle that can’t run on rough terrain and you’re just suffering through it.

That’s why you either need to be a non CD dependent caster or simply have no need to stand still during your CD. That’s why elemental shamans work and fire mages work. Elemental shamans are no where as CD dependent as demo or destruction lock while fire mages don’t need to stand still at all during combustion. This is basic stuff you can figure out just by playing the classes and looking at the logs. Yet, I’m here and I seem to have more insight than the devs who are supposed to fix this for a living.

1 Like

CHaos bolt is only hard (more than 2 sec) cast warlock has and that is not part of demo rotation. Demo’s hard casting is setting up good tyrant. Casts per se are fast with enough instant ones. So don’t play tyrant, you will do less damage but so do all other specs suffering from movement. Adapt! Evolve!
Underperforming specs is not “hard casting” problem.

You can play non cd based demo whit soul conduit and sacrificied souls, thus casting tyrant whenever it is off cd for extra damage and soul shards.

We do that, too, and it’s by far the best strategy. If you don’t move, you get completely and totally overwhelmed by tornadoes and they’ll toss around both melee and ranged to the point where nothing can be done.

If you move too fast though, you get the phenomenon you described where ranged can’t keep up.

We decided that 3 waves of tornadoes was the optimum.

Welcome to our world for the last 3 raid tiers. No seriously do you belive melle have higher dmg than ranged? No. And judging from what you wrote here it should be the case.
Every single mechanic a melle gets that forces him outside of the boss hitbox BAM bottom dps. The wonderfull Jaina that kept putting avalanche on me exactly as i was using wings was prob the worst offender in BOD but not the only one. Yes now we have the first raid in i dare say expansions that melle SEEMS advantaged (it really is just 3 bosses) but i’ll take those 3 bosses where you want mellee not ranged. This has sucked so much for mellee and we finally get some bosses ala guldan style where in mythic range is not desired.

Normally this should be the case that half the bosses want melle heavy or actually 70% to be melee heavy ( do you know how many melee raiders are:?) and 30% to be caster heavy.
That or just give mellee dps a 25% increased dmg. We reach bottom with the first mechanic that puts us away from the boss. No ranged abilities (i for example cannot cast if im full hp it’s just a waste i have to be ultra lucky to have abbilities off gcd not be in africa and not hp capped) and also we lose white damage and procs that come from attacks.

If you want to complain about hard casters being gutted this tier please let melee do 20-25% more dmg for the downtime we get always on cancer mechanics like soaking and moving away of the boss,not to mention you don’t see sh*t because the bosses are so huge and any aoe is suddenly 10 x more deadly for a melle cause we can’t see beneath our feet since there are 10 other hairy dudes with their feet covering the ground.

Man you’re the reason this game sucks. You can’t handle a couple of mechanics and you cry like a baby if you need to leave boss for few seconds. Typical melee baby. How about you learn the fight? Like know when it is safe to use a CD? The fact that you complained about being targeted by an ability when using a CD shows how blind you are to what’s the game is supposed to be.

You’re supposed to be aware of these abilities, anticipate them and plan your CDs accordingly. But melee can never do that; it’s just asking for way too much. The typical melee player is just a reactive bot, they can only “react” to visuals like big aoe circle or “green” stuff on the floor… plan a CD and anticipate boss abilities?? Ha … that’s way beyond most melee players mental ability. No offense meant to the good melee players though but I’m sure they are aware of the melee scene.

As a caster, I have to memorize everything cast by the boss. Everything. I don’t just pop my CD only to be screwed by an ability … that’s 101 raiding. You need to know your windows and wait for an ability to hit just to be sure you’re not the target. Those “cancer” abilities are the fight you know, otherwise go just dps a dummy …

What I’m complaining about is NOT that we need to learn the fight. I enjoy that part, that’s why I like playing hard casters. I enjoy learning the fight and the timings to know when I can use my CDs and how many casts I can get off before next thing hits and when to hold my CD and when to use it even if not to its full. What I’m complaining about is that some fights have no windows at all, NONE, to execute a hard cast burn. None! There is no ~12 sec window with low movement, it doesn’t exist on some fights. That’s just careless design and completely inconsiderate to some classes or specs.

2 Likes

Dps parses are in, mages and locks at the bottom with only fire and affli being midtier

1 Like

Man, you’re the reason this game sucks. You can’t handle a couple of mechanics and cry like a baby if you have to plan your sequences ahead of time.

1 Like

I have specifically said that I enjoy planning my burn ahead of time; the sole reason I play hard casters. Here in case you missed it :slight_smile:

I enjoy that part, that’s why I like playing hard casters. I enjoy learning the fight and the timings to know when I can use my CDs and how many casts I can get off before next thing hits and when to hold my CD and when to use it even if not to its full.

Meh, typical forum troll. I don’t know why I bother with no lifers like you.

SO he is smart uses brain and actually knows how to play instead of you who whines and says it is too hard for you when others do it then you insult them for being good and smart with no lifers?

Quality baddie ey.

Ah, I don’t really know if you’re dumb or playing dumb but I don’t care. My post is intended for people who can understand it without special help. If that’s what you took from it then fine, you’re 100% right.

Yes you are literally saying you are bad and can not improve where others can and are better than you just get good!
Can not do XYZ go lower difficulty if you can not compete.

We apologize that not everyone is so super-pro skilled like you are, a guy with 0 progress on all raids and 3 m+ dungeons done in season 2 with boost.
F off noob.

3 Likes

Its a case of learning the fight really. I learnt recently on Jaina HC that I can more or less stand there and blow it all the way to the conserve faze, move a bit & evoc back up for phase 2 which was more movment based and so on.

Maybe invest some time and learn that if you want to perform some of these for melees are rng. Yes i can plan in advance for avalanche ,guess what happens if i hold my cooldowns just because i might* get hit i lose 10-15 sec cause i can’t be away from the boss in my cd and that off-sets it and instad of using Wings twice before p2 i have to use it 1 cause i didn’t risk it druing avalanche.

Omegalul logic, this is the problem that blizzard made with rng targeting mellee to move away from the boss. To perform well you just have to be lucky not to be targeted by the move away mechanic,that’s the issue. Just make abilities that pick melee make them move but not away from the boss it’s simple.
I literally lose 50% of my dmg in p1 in bod if i was holding my wings just because the avalanche my hit me just cause that’s how that fight was going you had to use wings on cd it lined with 30 sec of uptime IF you didn’t get hit by avalanche,if you wait more than 5 sec then you won’t get full uptime on second wings and won’t get uptime on your second wings because circle will fck you up.

PLease learn the fight before speaking like a moron.

Also this was my timng for my guild if you had better dmg like we had with essences you had 1 wings anyway but before essences my second wings stoped as the intermission was about to start.

Youre literally accusing him of what youre whining about. Its irony. Sure, call me a no lifer but it beats being a crying baby.

Pray tell me what boss you cant plan a whole 12 second burn in? Ive not seen one in this raid. So quit the hyperbole.

What a load of crap. I lived waiting for every ability to hit before using my rune of power as an arcane mage and I ENJOYED IT. You complain about it, I enjoy it because that’s how it should be; that’s what the skill cap should be. My problem is when there is literally no 10~15 seconds to use RoP or any hard cast burn AT ALL in all of the fight no matter how long you hold it; none. Yes most fights have (although you need to wipe 30 times to get the windows right on some) but there are few that didn’t have any window, those are the ones I’m complaining about. See what I’m complaining about? See the difference in the complain? You wanna stand still and just spam your CDs, this is exactly what I do NOT want; this is for brain dead players. I want to search for my burn window and learn the fight; provided that the god damn window exists though.