Precious Tanks

I was in ST the other day and the tank started having a tantrum and threatening to leave the party if I didn’t do as I was told.

There was no need for cc or kill order, the trash mobs were no problem but he kept insisting on it and then left before we killed the last boss because I wouldn’t follow his orders and just kept AOEing.

Was he in the right or was I?

2 Likes

He was in the right, he just wanted the run to be smoother and easier/more pleasant for him to tank.

Having to battle aggro off 3 aoe spamming mages is a pain in the butt. Try to be more considerate next time or recruit for your own group to go quicker.

24 Likes

Neither

He was being an entitled brat, but you were disrespecting the tank

12 Likes

Ok, taken on board Syl and Grovi, I will always do as I’m told from now on :smiley:

Sorry to the tank, he was called fur something and was a bear tank on Nethergaurd keep realm.

1 Like

I honestly can understand your frustration Magella, some tanks do go really slow but they like to be in control.

Some tanks allow you to aoe, me for example as long as I can get a full consecration in and another down I’m fine with mages aoe’s :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It depends, most mobs don’t need to be CC’d. He does sound entitled like typical tanks who think just because they’re tanking, everyone needs to bow down to them.

AOEing in ST isn’t bad at all, either, especially on the dragonkin/whelp packs.

1 Like

Yeah, it was all about control. Control freaks are weird people.

Tanks like that, all the control and anger, stress me out. But sadly we have to accept that that is how the run is going to go or find a new tank/group (which sucks) so it’s best to suck it up and just do what they say. You shouldn’t have continued with the AoEing though, as a tank this is a pretty stressful thing to deal with too. Some tanks are cool with it though. Gotta go with their flow unfortunately.

I say ‘stress me out’ but tbh sometimes I like the chaos as a healer hah! Makes a change from the heal spamming

Yes, High, it was exactly that bit I was talking about. He kept insisting on kill order but I just kept AOEING cos there was no point in a kill order.

Then he says “if he does that again I’m leaving!” Diva, man!

1 Like

There is a point to kill order for the dragonkin, it should be single target the wyrmkin mob, because they sleep people and not all groups have a class that can dispell magic or even pay attention to dispells, and then aoe.
That usually gives the tank time to build aggro on the other mobs too ready for your aoe. If they still complain, then they really are butthurt.
But on the flip side, I have seen some REALLY… REALLY… bad mages, that aoe the moment the tank is only in range of the mobs.
It really just depends on the tank, if they don’t want you aoeing then just single target, otherwise you end up with a pissy tank that ragequits and its understandable if they keep having to deal with the same problems/same kind of dps not willing to compromise.
The CCing thing is silly, there’s no need for CC at all in that place unless a stray mob headed toward the healer and the healer isn’t moving it back towards the tank.

2 Likes

You know you were also being a control freak right ? The above poster was right you should respect how the tank wants to play it or make your own group, The tank is probably dealing with a lot more than you.

7 Likes

Ok, Stevey, thanks for your input, I’ll be a good little DPS from now on :smiley:

Sorry Fur whatever :slight_smile:

I always wait for tanks to get aggro, Anna :slight_smile:

Depends on the tank, whether or not you can manage your aggro, and whether healer can reliably keep you and the tank alive at the same time.
If you can nova and blizzard the mobs without taking too much damage, while still allowing the tank to keep control of the stronger mobs/prio targets, it shouldn’t be a problem.
But not all tanks are comfortable with that, even if it works well. They might want to build rage, or just have good control over the situation in case something goes wrong.

I never minded people spamming AoE, but I was a tankadin in TBC. :grin:

1 Like

OMG, you’re right, Vash, I didn’t think of that :smiley:

1 Like

Tank gets rage from incoming damage. You aoe, he lost agro, mobs don’t hit him, he can’t use abilities. It’s very stressful. Tank is supposed to have control over mobs but can’t do anything without rage.

I suggest you to level tank and to tank few dungeons to get some understanding and appreciation of tank role. You really made his job harder. Leaving group is a bad move, that’s for sure and I don’t support him in that matter.

15 Likes

how about the tank respects the 4 other people in his grp also

Yall can say what you want. But at the end of the day. Theres almost no tanks. Pick your fights. I heal n tank and always try to friend other heals n tanks. Dps are everywhere.

1 Like

Or maybe they were just your average tank that’s had to suffer time and time again from people just like yourself who havn’t got half a clue what they’re doing. When you suffer complete muppets like tanks do regularly, there’s little wonder they set rules.

If you can’t abide by them, the tank’s gone which is fine as they can easily get another group within minutes, where as you get to fester in trade chat ‘lf tank for muppet special run’.

There are a number of reasons why there are few tanks about, but obviously douchebag DPSers isn’t one of them :roll_eyes:

9 Likes

Feeling that you’re not having control of the mobs you’re fighting is one of the worst feelings there is as a tank.

Given how trigger- and AoE/cleave-happy most DPS:ers are these days, I don’t blame the tanks for not wanting to tank PuGs and for leaving when the dps:ers (it’s almost always mages, unsurprisingly) ignore them.

At lvl 60 you as a mage will take aggro if you start AoEing instantly, and you will die (most of the time), and the tank will hate you for stealing aggro so he doesn’t get any rage to tank with, and then the healer will get healing aggro because he spammheals your AoE:ing behind, and then the healer will die, then everyone will get pissy and the group might disband.

At the end of the day, as someone said: Pick your battles.
Tanks are rare, but you’re a trigger-happy DPS and as such, easily replaced.

3 Likes

I do as the tank says, then I add them as friends and ask them for future runs.

Have yet too fail to find a tank for any dungeon. Not hard really. Sometimes the tank can be tired or wants a relaxing run. And that can be understandable when some people that do dungeons seems too not have time for the dungeon as fast as they want too rush.

1 Like