Priest need help healing

Hey guys, started this priest not to long ago and done like 2 instances with him.
But i feel like i run out of mana way to fast so what am i doing wrong?

I try to keep everyone topped and feel like i never have mana when there is a litle longer fight like a boss with a few adds and multiples are taking dmg…

I am using all maxrank spells but do i realy have to downrank at lvl 21?

Healers can end up drinking a lot depending on the tank, pulls and even the party setup, yes.

Be quick to start drinking as soon as you get out of combat, and take your time to heal again if the tank can take it. If you lose a lot of time pausing see if there’s anything that can be done; tanks often go without shields, or warriors don’t bother with defensive stance because that way they go “faster”, but it can be counterproductive. Same with large pulls if you don’t have any AoE in the party, because those make you waste a ton of mana without killing stuff any faster. Low level potions are often very cheap; you can use those too to make things smoother.

As a priest leveling up you should get 5/5 Spirit Tap. Try to wand runners to get the odd killing blow. Every bit helps.

Without any +healing (which is somewhat lacking until relatively high levels) downranking is less efficient than max rank. It still doesn’t hurt to have a lower rank Greater Heal to reduce overhealing (not for renew, PW:S… though).

1 Like

Short version: Dont stress to much about having every one else topped out. Focus on tank. Heal ranged dps when at/below 50%, melee dps, toss a renew when at 75%…go nuts with spirit gear. Abuse 5 sec rule… Let tank go to 60% heal with “heal”… Wand in between. Happy priesting! :slight_smile:

1 Like

What he said, get some renews on the dps, keep tank maxed up and abuse 5 sec rule when you can. Get the 5 second rule addon for that aswell (helps me allot atleast)

besides that, be sure to drink asap after every fight. And keep drinking if not full yet, even if tank allready pulling. Feel fine with letting him lose some healt while you regen mana, any decent tank will notice it very quickly and start pulling with a bit less rush to let you drink. Allthough meleecleave groups don’t understand mana users… don’t let the tank/melee decide the speed of the dungeonrun but let the healer/mana-users decide.

And just watch on general efficiency of your spells. Flash heal is nice and fast healing but allso pretty mana inefficient. So spamming that one isn’t smartest move. Rather take a normal heal instead and only start with the flash and/or greater heal when there is some enrage or adds hitting everyone. Same goes for prayer of healing, i know allot of priests hardly ever use it. But when there is some aoe damage effect hitting everyone in your group, 1 prayer of healing is way faster and more mana efficient than 5 renews/flash heals. Especially with inner focus off cd :slight_smile:

3 Likes

There are some good posts out there on healing. However, I will share some things that I do.

Do not feel like you must keep the tank and DPS at 100%. I usually keep the tank around 80-90% and DPS around 50-60% health. There are a couple of reasons for this, you want to try and avoid over-healing and you want to delay landing a heal for as long as is comfortable (5 second rule) to generate mana back.

5 second rule encase you are unfamiliar, you do not gain mana while in combat (until later when you pick up some talents and some mps gear), this means unless you pot, you’ll go oom. However, if you do not cast a spell for 5 seconds you start getting mana back. So, the mata game becomes “how long can I delay healing”, sadly the answer to that depends on how confident you are and the group.

Pre-casting is super important, especially at lower levels. The idea is simple, queue up a heal or greater heal on your tank then when the cast is almost done decide whether to let the heal go through or cancel it (I usually just strafe left or right to cancel the cast).

Deciding to let the heal go or cancel. I usually use something like HealBot or a UI that shows ‘incoming heal’ and will cancel the cast if there isn’t a small gap left after healing (to avoid over healing). Most of your mana efficient heals will have long cast times, pre-casting makings that a non-issue. Note, the 5 second rule is only broken when a cast has been completed, this includes instant casts.

Side note: Usually, before getting a group I’ll sit in Org or UC and ask for mage water (saves a lot of money) and I’ll start with minimum 40 drinks. After each pull, run slightly ahead and drink as the tank pulls. This will help you keep your mana up without slowing down the group. (typically, I’ll throw a renew on everyone just before i drink).

Once you’ve mastered the 5 second rule and pre-casting, you’ll find yourself sitting on 100% mana quiet often. This is when I would start considering the usage of renew on the tank, which will allow you to not have to cast again for a while.

Never use flash heal or shield. Both spells cost a crap ton of mana and will leave you oom quickly.

Hope this helps.

Edit:
Just to add, if you find yourself needing an Oh-crap heal on the tank. Renew followed directly by a greater heal works 9-10 times. renew should keep him up just long enough to land the long casting heal and this will leave you enough mana to keep on healing afterwards.

1 Like

Wow, some awsome advice here. Yea i realy think my biggest problem was using sheild all the time. But since i have started to wait with healing a bit more and not using sheild more then in “holy-sh-t-situations” its become a breeze to heal most groups!
Thanks all wish i would have rolled a priest earlier… :slight_smile:

5 second rule encase you are unfamiliar, you do not gain mana while in combat (until later when you pick up some talents and some mps gear)

Actually you regenerate mana in combat, the regeneration will start only if you don’t cast any spells after 5 seconds. MPS gear provides you with mana always, ignoring 5 seconds rule.
You can’t drink in combat though.

And I agree about 5 seconds rule addon, you really neee it so you can manage your mana regeneration.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.