Protection in M+

WoG being on the GCD feels really bad to work around in the flow of things. Something about our mitigation makes it seem like we are very prone to take tremendous amounts of damage in extremely short bursts, and with the unpredictability of this damage, having our reactive heal be one the GCD feels a bit gamebreaking.

Forcing us to choose between mitigation and healing is absolutely fine, but having both as a result of holy power generation already does this.

I liken it most to the early-Legion change of warriors Ignore Pain, where it was taken off GCD for the exact same reason - they needed a buff, and it was a mechanic that made the class unnecessarily annoying.

Our mitigation is basiclly all physical while a bunch of enemies have magical damage thats the main problem with why we seem weaker against things than some other tanks does. Our damage reduction against magical damage is basiclly non existent while some other tanks have both spell damage reduction and proactive heals while ours are reactive.

I do agree that WoG should be off the GCD for Prot since we’re a reactive healer rather than a proactive one.

But WoG on the GCD works but Blizzard would have to do something with either our health or our spell damage mitigation.

1 Like

Yeah. But this is exactly my point. You CAN have WoG as it currently is - but only if you rework other parts of our toolkit. The way I see it, putting it off the GCD is a band-aid on the gaping wound that is our magic mitigation outside of big cooldowns, allowing us to respond to spiky inputs.

As it is now, the risk of getting globaled is never not present, and with terrible Sun King trinket drop luck, we have no cheat death to fix that.

Globaled? Of you are getting globaled something really wrong is going on. I’ve healed paladin tanks in 17 and 18 tyrannically and fortified keys and nothing came close to globaling them

Try using Holy Shield in first talent row, its recommended for all content now. :slight_smile:

Oh there’s an idea. Paladins gain spell resistance based on their Armour. Holy armour. Well. Not armour with holes in it. That would be bad. But like. Magical. :exploding_head:

Maybe a talent choice. Replace WoG with it.

Buff Prot paladins health up it is either the lowest or the second lowest of all the tanks. ( I do seem to recall Brewmaster monk being lower) And the reason was that we used to have mitigation that worked on everything.

This was first patch of BFA it was the patch that set prot warrior up to be the bis tank for the rest of the expansion for M+

Yeah, prot paladin is really strong in M+ currently. Not on Vengeance level but easily on par with every other tank except prot warr which is the worst by far.

Aye I know, alot of spells cannot be blocked however so its just a band aid but of course Holy Shield is the survival path to take on the first row.

I still don’t understand why Shield of the Righteous has no gcd but Word of Glory - pure defensive ability has one. I’m kinda new to paladin but that doesn’t make any sense. I still think Prot Pallas have a lot easier against magic sources due to bubbles that can cleanse quite a lot of harmful effects. It’s kinda cheesy but works extremely well in some scenarios.

The talent is underrated honestly, always been a really strong one since it got changed to block magic abilities
Absolutely hilarious against dot classes, esp when a holy shield bolt just follows and leads you to a stealthed rogue that tries to run away because you blocked a poison tick
Hilarious

Out of curiosity which spells?
That would seem like a really weird design feature considering prot pala’s are the only ones that can do this and its part of their only real magic mitigation not counting the final stand talent.

I think this expansion once and for all shows that Prot Palas need SoTR up 100% of the time and I don’t think having it off GCD and using every 4-5 secs is fun in anyway.

At this point I would almost think that they should just give Palas SoTR buff passive and boost some other parts of our rotation to compensate the damage loss from not using it. And add a new HP spender that is offensive, that way we got the heal that is defensive and an offensive option giving us more of a choice.

As far as I am aware most (every?) tank has an active mitigation effect, its part of the design blizz want… so I can’t ever seeing it just becoming a passive.

What it does need thou is removing its HP requirement and going back to the cooldown, so we don’t have it in this weird place with WoG. The choice should be between some extra damage or our defensive heal… not our defense… or er our defense… :rofl:

Monks Stagger became passive mainly because its up all the time anyways and its a mechanique they need to have up. And I would argue SoTR is the same for Prot Palas without it we’re extremly squishy.

Would open up more options with Holy Power aswell.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.