Protection Warrior talends

You can tank whatever way you like with whatever talents you like

but know this

you are losing effective health, dps, rage and survivability by not speccing into Booming voice, Bolster and Anger Management

they are irrefutably the strongest 3 talents that prot warriors have access to and not taking them along with not stacking as much haste and versatility as you can get your hands on is considerably less effective than any other talent and stat option.

no other talents and stats in whatever other combination will net you as much survivability and damage and rage.

this is not up for debate and discussion these are the cold hard (and boring) facts

4 Likes

no, this is what the guy put on icy-veins and got his figures completely wrong says. (but everyone believes anyway coz why not even tho its right there, incorrect on the site right now for all to see)

1 Like

Go look at literally any top tier warriors player build and get back to me when your done being wrong

even better

go tank some bosses in Uldir with the 2 different builds and see for yourself

theres a reason why the vast majority of warrior players and every guide on the internet recommend and use the same talents and it doesnt take a genius to figure out why.

you are bad, your buid is bad, your stats are bad, your enchants are bad, your gems are bad.

I feel sorry for your guild and any group that you join because you are ignorantly wilfully making their jobs harder and even worse and more unforgivably touting yourself as the one warrior in the world thats got it right.

as was previously stated new players could come into this thread looking for advice and your feeding them the worst advice they can get.

If you are a new warrior player and are wanting to get better all you have to do is the exact opposite of what this idiot is upto

4 Likes

Your just salty because my mountain is better than yours.

According to who? You, the all all-knowing warrior god?

Now who do I think has more insight on warrior tanking, you with your normal Uldir experience and highest dungeon being +5 completed or Marok, the author of Icy Veins guide, 8/8 Mythic prot warrior and the admin of Skyhold warrior Discord community? Yeah, I’m putting my eggs into Marok’s basket.

At this point you’re either honestly trolling or your hand is so deep in sand that it will soon blop out at the other side of the planet.

But yeah, I’m not stopping you from playing your “optimal” build, just don’t come to spread it here where someone might be looking for legimate advice since it’s clearly wrong.

2 Likes

When he puts out a biased guide that completely avoids detailing the good aspects of anything other than the build he likes, it tends to put his entire guide at risk.

2 Likes

Today I learned that coming up with the optimal build through math and theorycrafting (by multiple experienced tank players, not just by him) on a website made to teach people to play a spec optimally makes it biased because a feelycrafting normal raider says so. Go ask any serious prot warrior and they’ll give you the same build.

And it’s not like he completely ignores the other talents in the guide. He even says there that Indomitable and Heavy Recurpessions are fine, and then explains why Bolster and Anger Management are better. I don’t see much reason in writing an essay about talents and builds that are proven to be inferior when the goal is to teach people how to play optimally.

4 Likes

He literally explains how those talents have such great synergry while completely ignoring the fact this other build would have just as good synergy… I would call that biased.

Read last my paragraph in the previous post, why waste time on them when they’re subpar.

Like I sorta get your point; you play on a level where choices don’t matter. Like you could go tank normal Uldir or +3 M+ with intellect weapon and healer trinkets and none would notice anything. But succeeding on easymode doesnt mean your choices are correct when somebody is asking for legimite advice. It’s not like I go tank LFR G’huun on a most meme spec I can come up with including a sword ICC and trinket from Firelands and then go claim that I’ve discovered the new best build and everyone else is wrong.

4 Likes

But they are not subpar, they are equal.

He doesnt even mention how critical strike saves you huge amounts of rage via revenge procs.

I mean seriously is this the BFA of guides or what?

Ok that gave away the fact you’re clearly trolling, good job on baiting me to waste my time at 01.00 o’clock.

2 Likes

What are you talking about, it is a valid criticism of the guide, ask him that since you seem to know him so well.

but they arent

they arent even almost equal

they are worse

much much worse

2 Likes

@Toran: It’s good to critique popular opinions (in this case, the Marok’s Icy Veins guide and the general Bolster/Booming Voice/Anger Management talent combo), but you’ve got to be objective.

Do you have any stats to back up your argument, that Devastator etc. is better tan Booming Voice?

Can you demonstrate that your talent combo works for high-level (mythic raids and M10+ dungeons) content as well?

As Zengliu said, talent choice doesn’t really matter much in lower-difficulty content.

2 Likes

Read his explanation of devastator, I will explain what he has blatantly ignored:

Here is where the problem lies, because he did not mention heavy repercussion in regards to this talent at all, his overview of devastator is flawed, while you have Shield block active with Heavy repercussion, the effective rage of Shield slam is increased by 33% as it provides 1/6th of a shield block every time it is used, that is equal to 5 rage saved.

Thus if you slam 3 times during a shield block you have generated an additional 15 rage which is automatically used on the extension of shield block, thus devastator is now worth 20 rage and not the 15 which he is basing this upon, this can often lead to you being capable of utilising significantly more revenges and thus pulling callous reprisal significantly higher in the rankings and then increases the number of shield slams available to you.

1 Like

But this comes at a price - loosing anger managment means no more low cd on Avatar, Shield wall and last stand with included shield block. You basicly double their cooldowns. And shield slam dmg will not outperform thunder clap during Avatar.

The problem is that AM and Bolster are really the best talents. It just happens that booming voice has a really nice sinergy and its taken because of that.
I do not see how recuperations can outperform anger managment.

2 Likes

Toran lets play with our mind here that being a warrior tank is not a shield block up time competition. The only time you take to much damage and is is when you acutaly make a wrong move like standing in fire or falling of a cliff.

If survivability is NOT an issue, becouse it really waint, what would you focus on then. Even more survivability? Maybe more damage to help your team push key timers or even getting the last 1% whipe damage done? One big mistake is not considering tank damage as important. Especially Prot warrior damage, since you probably out dmg any damage dealer on a pack with +3 mobs.

Im not saying here that you get more survivability from devestator / HR, but i get it that it makes it easier to play. Even i had a phase when i tried it and thought it was really good, untill i noticed that AM / BV was even better. I even revisited the spec becouse i as you thought it could have potentiol and noticed my cd on my big buffs were far to long to be effective when pushing keys and went back to AM / BV. I have come to like this playstyle and it might just not be for everyone. Its fast and alot to keep track of, but very fun to play.

If the spec you are using seams to work for you, good for you, you dont have to change, but when everyone, including the best people in the world, uses AM/BV, does that not hint that maybe your logic might be flawed?

I guess you are just a troll.

2 Likes

You are having problems because you are ignoring itemisation obviously, Don’t just try a build with stats that don’t work as well with it then call it bad when you haven’t even tried it in any seriousness, I mean at that point you might aswell just be rating peoples effectiveness based upon their appearance.

The trolling…
Well its a good laugh at least :slight_smile:

1 Like

I do not believe he is trolling. He uses that build. And his build makes sence, has synergy as well. But its not better than AM/bolster.

Anyways, I will try devastate/recup build. It will work up until a point. It sounds really fun. I do wonder IF it is better for single target patchwork fights.

1 Like