PVP participation - historic minimum

Many cooldowns are bad for the game though. Dynamic gameplay allows you to use spells in smart ways like we had it in tbc/vanilla. Now you just press a def cd and it’s enough to survive the enemy’s burst easily, just 1 button.

I also have to spend like 5 globals to use all my offensive cds on my dk before I can start doing damage.

7 Likes

It’s not about which class is trash and which one is OP. It’s about the meta, lack of rewards and no queuing system.

Rewards are:

• nonexistant compared to PvE. In PvE, for 30-40 min per week you get guaranteed 410 ilvl item with a chance to drop of 1-2 400 items. You need minimal knowledge of the instance (10 min read prior to dungeon is enough) and you can run through it with comfort.
  • of very poor quality. playing arenas (which right now is primarily waiting) rewards you mainly with some useless BG potions.
  • does not reward titan residuum

As a result there is no point in playing PvP other than playing purely for fun (which is difficult, cos you’ll be lagging on gear, which will to a large extend oblitarate your fun and anyway you basically just wait to get some games so…)

Meta:

• you can only kill people in burst windows or if you’re a cleave you just cleave them till healers mana runs out
  • too much spike dmg, which then tries to be overcome with selfhealing causes games to go into 50+ dampening
  • too much self healing causes setup / skill based comps to be eradicated

Queuing:

• people will play games that offer some meaningful PvP experience, and more importantly, when they can actually play PvP.
  • people will play games that allows them to jump into a match without having to wait 20 minutes to get the team, play two 5-10 min games and start over

As long as there is not sensible way to play PvP from solo queue and some LFG system which is not an equivalent of a 1st grade computer science student learning displaying items on the list, then PvP in WoW is doomed. In all fairness 1st grade CS student would probably do much better job, 'cos he’d apply sorting filters too.
It really does not require too much, to be able to have criteria for:

• accepted classes
  • min character xp
  • current character rating
  • account xp
    hardcoded into queuing engine.
1 Like

I’ll assume that you are a relatively new player, if you aren’t then you simply never PvPed.

Warrior’s had access to certain spells whilst stance dancing. How this doesn’t compute to you that this promotes interactive game play and a higher skill ceiling hurts my brain.

Rogues had all their abilities not so dis-similar to what they had now, an interesting point is that things like PvP-VERSATILITY could PREVENT a rogue’s cold-blood from criting. Old merchanics were more interesting than what we have now, to go into those with you might take a while, however.

Mage’s had access to every spell from every school. Water Ele? No that was not available during vanilla. However, you could use a rank 1 frost bolt spell to slow an enemy then light their A up with a Pyro.

I’m simply going to assume from this point that you didn’t play Classic.

3 Likes

Ho boy, no, really no. I’m actually an old player restarting after quitting in early Cata.

Oh yeah so complicated to hit my

#showtooltip Defensive Stance
/equipslot 16 weapon
/equipslot 17 shield
/cast Defensive Stance
/cast Spell Reflection

macro, then switch back to Battle Stance to smash your face. It’s literally 2 macros and about 4 clicks ( due to GCD and weapon switching )

Very hard, much World of Warcraft.

Warrior had literally one cooldown ( I might be missing one? ) in TBC to manage, 2 with Trinket. Yes, Spell Reflection/Bash/Pummel/Berserker Rage timing were a thing but they weren’t exactly complicated.

Though Warrior is a bad pick to talk about because Stance Dancing did require a few extra neurons compared to say Frost mage or Retri or Warlock.

I’ll reply to you one last time, further efforts would be an insult to myself.

Your “Macro” example did not exist during classic. Literally, by design.

You admit that stance dancing creates interesting gameplay. I agree.

Ret paladin required constant aura, seal, and blessing balancing IF you wanted to beat your opponent in PvP. I’m not sure what your point of view is, but you seem to be arguing in the wrong forum, or are simply deft of memory, or even worse, ignorant.

4 Likes

I mean, neither did spell reflection, I was obviously talking about TBC.

‘Interesting’ is a far shot. It’s literally an extra button to press.

When you want to insult someone but compliment them instead.

I’ll take it.

:smile:

1 Like

Haha touché, “deft” is a compliment, we should get a beer some time.

The sentence did sound good though IMO.

3 Likes

it is worse than tbc and vanilla… you had buttons back then, you had a class kit not a spec kit.

Not every caster had a builder>spender for example.

I think you mean “balance” wich is enterily diferent… and still worse than tbc lol

4 Likes

Again, what buttons? I levelled a Rogue to 110 and they definitely feel more complex ( Outlaw ) than they did in TBC and WOTLK ( Combat ).

vanilla was the peak of class design what do you mean Kappa

rog is the only class that lost much fewer abilities.

3 Likes

Rogue cooldowns in TBC:

Evasion, Sprint, Vanish, Blind
Combat: Adrenaline Rush, Blade Flurry
Assa: Cold Blood
Sub: Prep, Premeditation, Shadowstep

for WOTLK add in Vendetta / Killing Spree / Shadow Dance + Dismantle

Surely Rogue in BFA has more cds than that?

You realise that dps itself was harder right? There wasn’t a two button rotation and or pop a swifty cool down and insta kill someone. The classes DPS rotation now is so easy to do damage/burst that an 1800 guy could do the same damage as a 3k rated guy the only difference being better cooldown management which makes for a very dull game.

They need to make classes harder not easier and some classes got pruned way too much and some classes not enough, cloth users shouldn’t be as tanky as they currently are cloth is squishy and should have to kite it’s that simple right now a warlock has his kite toolkit but doesn’t even need to use it.

Right now I think dispel being back off cooldown and costing a small ammount would shift the meta drastically, wouldn’t fix the game though.

4 Likes

Gee let’s see.

Destro lock 335 Immo conflag chaos bolt
Frost mage Frostbolt Icelance Frostfire Bolt
Arms Mortal Strike, Rend, Overpower
Sub Hemo, Backstab, Eviscerate, Rupture

Such complexity much wow.

vanilla warlock was the hardest it’s ever been

According to simple-armory you started playing in Legion. What’s ur response to that?

1 Like

I mean, I think the spell reflect macro I posted earlier should already make it clear that I was playing a long time ago. Just not on this account.

As opposed to TBC/WOTLK when you just facetanked it? How is that better gameplay?

If you were to take “abilities” and not just “cds” then you also have expose armor, garrote, rupture gouge, ghostly strike, hemo, premeditation, disarm trap, slice n dice, shiv, deadly throw, weapon swapping for extra poisons.

Might be it and a few of those are spec specific although most of them aren’t.

I’m not arguing it was more complex mind, although certain things like weapon swapping for triple poisons was definitely more complex.

1 Like

Let’s face it you weren’t using most of those.