Quel'dorei High Elves as an Alliance allied race

Problem for me is that my heart beats for Night elves and the Horde hit them hard … I can’t imagine going through e.g. Darshore warfront as a Horde character.

I usually just watch + read about the other faction story from other sources, but I have still parts of content where I don’t have enough knowledge.

Oh, well, I was trying to avoid spoilering too much, but I can tell you the Hordeside Purge stuff in the cutscenes if you like?

Actually its probably all on youtube, easier that way…

I will watch it, so you don’t need to spoil me :smiley:

Afaik, Blizz has clarified this is not canon. Don’t ask me when or who said it, but many people say this.

What is canon, apparently, is that the vast majority of Sunreavers were imprisoned, and only a few (those who actively resisted) were killed.

I will understand that you choose not to believe this, considering I’m not providing evidence whatsoever. But do remember Blizz twists the story purposefully to make us feel angry about the opposing faction, just like they did with Genn’s contradictory speech in Battle of Dazar’alor. If you play as Alliance, his speech is honorable. If you play as Horde, he speaks as a tyrannical psycho leader. And yet logic states only one (or none) is true, not both. The same applies to Panda slavery; if you level through MoP as Ally, you’ll see Horde enslaving Pandaren and the Alliance freeing them, but if you play as Horde, you’ll see the inverse. What does this mean? Both factions are enslaving and freeing Pandaren at the same time? Strange.

PS: Also, Jaina killing Sunreavers was a bug. Do the scenario now and you’ll see she only teleports them somewhere else (probably the Violet Hold).

1 Like

A lot of people say it, but nobody can provide a link to where it is stated. You -do- however see Jaina march in and kill five people before arresting Aethas. There are constant references to the murders throughout the Horde scenario.

That’s as maybe, but you still see unarmed cowering Sunreaver Civilians being stabbed up by Silver Covenant. You can even join in the massacre yourself if you like, but you can’t aggro them, they’re nonresistant and will not fight you, just keep cowering as you murder them. That’s not low key hidden away, that is right on the streets. Its also Alliance side questing. I just did it on an alt recently. It is just horrible…

I actually always saw that as like how the British and the French both had Native American Allies/labour, and fought a proxy War in America, both claiming they were aiding the native peoples, whilst in reality both were just using them. In fact as you advance past Jade Forest, and especially into Kun Lai (I think it was Kun Lai, zone where the Sha of Anger is) you actually see that process made manifest, as they start dressing the Pandaren as Hordies or Alliance, and arming them, and getting them into their armies. So yeah, it is entirely possible that both sides were both enslaving and freeing Pandaren at the same time -depending- on their philosophy/allegiance, We have a parallel in our own world, and I always say, ‘If something has happened in real life, you can’t say it is unrealistic when it happens in a game’.
I genuinely do see the Pandaren campaign like that however. Both sides find Natives (Initially the Hozen and the Jinyu) and co-opt them into their armies, they fight battles where the actual number of Horde or Alliance is like, what , five? the rest is entirely native troops. Later this expands to include the Pandaren themselves being co-opted into the armies and fighting these proxy Wars, until finally the Operation Shieldwall and Domination Point scenario happens, when the actual armies of the Horde and Alliance show up, and not just the ‘Hero’ and their small bunch of pals.

She still kills those five guys doing nothing other than guarding their boss, and she shoots first (In fact they don’t even get to resist) and she then illegally detains him, then rather than sending the Police force of Dalaran in to arrest Sunreavers, she sends a Paramilitary group with no legal powers of arrest, who hate the ethnic group they are being sent to ‘peacefully’ arrest, and then goes for a stroll around the city all “This is fine!” whilst hearing the screams and watching the unarmed civilians be hacked apart in broad daylight, openly, on the streets…
That bit ain’t a bug.

2 Likes

What’s that?

Another MMORPG, Star Wars, The Old Republic.

It never really took off as well as it should have, it had some excellent elements to it, one of which was the fact that -every- class had its own unique story, So like, you know how in MoP you got the Shieldwall or Domination Point story as you advanced in Rep? Well it was the same in that game, but you got it as you advanced in level in your class. And it wasn’t just “Go to Dungeon X and kill Y and we will give you hat Z” But proper storylines with sidequests and everything. It was a really well thought out aspect of the game. It felt personal, it felt like you -were- Han Solo, or Luke Skywalker, or even Boba Fett. It was a really good aspect.

Sadly, it fell apart in a few other ways, the crafting system was hit and miss, the servers that were supposed to be RP servers just…weren’t, and, that’s an important element of the game for me. the RP aspect.
Its crazy really, it should have been a world beater, the all time favourite movie franchise that has lasted for forty years, as an MMO!

But it just stumbled on a few points. And unfortunately, that’s what killed it. Its a good game. But as an RP’er, it just doesn’t compare to WoW…

2 Likes

But i’d like there to be an option to be saying this to Jaina. Jaina this’s wrong are you really stepping down to this level? And jaina she’d say this then. I do what i must for what i belive’s right. And then you’ll get an option to be saying this. So did Arthas when he culled Stratholme.

I like the idea of it and it sounds promising but :face_vomiting: man that grammar of yours needs a lot of work my friend.

I get you, and yes, that would be brilliant, in a perfect world. would my character have stood by and watched Teldrassil burn? No. Did I get a choice in it? No. The thing is, well… My Ex-Wife was a game programmer. If you’ve ever played the Total War games, she designed and coded the arrow physics for it, and so I have a kind of understanding of how much work goes into a computer game. It is a huge amount. The work needed to give us options at every turn would be ridiculous, and also, consider this. Player A sides with Sylvanas, Player B sides with Saurfang. They both are now in different shards despite being in the same setting and gameworld, because their choices changed the gameworld……

Its very hard to implement. SWTOR did it right, because you got your own personal plot, but the gameworld was the same, WoW isn’t quite the same, I mean everyone goes on about the ‘Do you pick Sylvanas or Saurfang’ option the Horde player gets given, but it doesn’t change -anything-. It just doesn’t matter which option you take. It isn’t as immersive as a personal quest, it is basically using you as a cipher to transport the story along, and a fairly badly written one at that, I mean why the heck is Zek’han (AKA Zappy Boi) in Redridge and knows to run up to some random Blood Elf (in my case) who has just butchered some Alliance soldiers and go “Hey, mon, ya gotta come and speak to Saurfang, he in trouble”

I mean that just doesn’t work, that’s not how these things happen. They would sound you out in advance, its like a flirtation in a way, you don’t just go all at it, you approach slowly, test the waters, then commit. That would have been a better way of addressing it, Zek’han, or Saurfang himself sending an IC Mail, which if you accept, then starts the quest to seek them out. It just seemed clumsily done to me, but then, I am a bit of, well, no, I am a massive RP nerd, so how the story works is important to me.

The dude is self teaching themself to improve their grammar, which, y’know, is admirable and hard to have the discipline for. Have a bit of patience, they are trying to improve.

2 Likes

That is pretty awesome he is trying and improving slowly I didn’t want to offend anyone was just feeling a bit of nausea for a second because I haven’t seen anything like that before.Also what is wrong between , choosing Saurfang and having the option to choose Sylvanas?.

There is nothing wrong with it, I -liked- the fact there was an option, just…it could have been done better, it was a bit clumsy, how it happened, Zek’han ‘just happened’ to be walking past as the player character had for some inexplicable reason murdered a bunch of Alliance soldiers in Redridge…I mean Redridge! If you were going that close to Stormwind you’d take an army!

I just think if they’re going to do this kind of thing, they need to be a bit cleverer about how they do it… There are various ways they could have went about it, but as I say, I know how much work goes into games, and, well, I’m not -sadly- paid to direct these things so that they make sense…

4 Likes

Well that’s what I’m saying - the fact that you see it and participate does not mean it’s actually happening/canon.

You can go to the Brawler’s Guild and fight Akama, and that’s obviously not canon.

Once again, Genn’s speech being radically different depending on whether you’re Horde or Alliance is not canon either - and yet you’re right there, listening to him very carefully.

All I’m saying is - I don’t trust Blizz’s storytelling anymore. I doubt the Purge of Dalaran was as dantesque as you or, rather, the game depicts it. That’s the problem with Blizz making the game inconsistent; they lose credibility and you no longer know what’s canon and what’s not.

If any of the lore books ever explains in depth how exactly the Purge of Dalaran happened, that’s when I’ll believe it. Until then, I won’t take seriously the Purge or any other controversial event that takes place in game.

Well soon i’m gonna start in school again and i’m hoping i’m gonna learn more there but please do coppy what i wrote but make it clear so i can learn from it :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I will :blush: when I get home from work because I’m still at work and I can’t do it on the phone.

I mean, as someone who writes a lot, I can give you some pointers if you like, I just don’t want to seem patronising.

2 Likes

Sure i’d aprichate all the help i can get :slight_smile:

There are a few basic rules to grammar. If you use a full stop, like this. Then hit enter twice, you leave a double space after a full stop. If a name or place ends with ‘s’ you don’t need to put an extra ‘s’ on the end when you talk about them, you just put a comma after their name, so for example, taking the English name Andrew, we would write ‘Andrew’s’ when talking about something they owned, but if we were talking about Chris, we would write “Chris’”. Good rule of thumb is, if it ends with an ‘s’ then you just put a comma after it, you don’t need anything more.

Spelling can be tricky, and even people who write a lot can be ‘word blind’ Heavens knows, I am, to the word ‘Weird’. I don’t even know if I have typed that correctly, ‘Phenomena’ is another one. Some words just don’t scan properly in our brains, and therefore are hard to write correctly. It is a case of practice and, well, yes, Spellchecking. There is nothing wrong with using a spellchecker, I mean before sending any professional email, you spellcheck it to make sure you have not made a mistake. Everyone has their flaws, mine is one of the simplest words in the English Language, and I am famed in my Guild for it, it is a source of much amusement during my DM’d events. When trying to type out a sentence swiftly, I will somehow never manage to type ‘The’ but will instead type ‘Teh’ No idea why, happens all the time. It Is bizarre…

So, sometimes it is a case of typing slower, and if you are not sure what you have typed is correct, to use an online spellchecker to see if it is. Most people will be patient enough to wait for a response.

Oddly I was talking to a Guild member of mine who is French the other day, and we were talking about languages and how the words look different from how they sound phonetically, so I can completely get why it would be tricky. English is a tricky language, even for native speakers… You will always make mistakes, I know there are certain words I simply cannot get right, but the internet does give us ways of checking, use them.

I am going to use your last statement there as an example, and please, please, do -not- take this as mockery, I am just trying to clarify a point.

The way I would have posted that would be;

“Sure, I’d appreciate all the help I can get.”

Use of commas is important, it forms a natural change in conversation, it is almost like a symbol indicating a pause… “Sure…I’d appreciate all the help I can get” As opposed to just one full-on statement.

Another thing, whenever you use ‘I’ as a stand alone word, meaning yourself, or as part of a word like ‘I’d’ It is always a Capital I, never a low case ‘I’.

I’m going to stop now because I sound like a pretentious Douchebag, but those are some good rules…

2 Likes

It’s cool that you explain some grammar rules. English is not my native language and a few tips could be useful for me cause of this :sweat_smile:

1 Like