Quel'dorei High Elves as an Alliance allied race

Sooo… If we take the fell or the light from the Blood Elves, wouldn’t they go back to how they were? Back to having blue eyes? Organically they are the same race. Or is it not like that?

Eventually they would, yes. the Green eyes does seem to be wearing off (He says as someone who kept green over gold :smiley: ) I would posit the incredibly headcanon idea, and this is just my thoughts on it, I have no proof, that the golden eyes are prevalent amongst those who actively worship The Light, -because- they are the ones most likely to overcome the side effects of Fel the quickest.

I honestly don’t know what I would do if Blood Elves got a Blue eyed Option. Brigante never drained a Fel Crystal in his life, but nor is he especially religious. I mean he believes in the Light (with a small ‘b’) as in he believes it exists as a power, but he does not follow it as a religious thing. He’s a Farstrider, they’re not really into that stuff. They are oddly the closest thing that the Blood Elves have, to Druids, so, ehh, go figure…

I mean you are right, it is exactly like that. The majority of Blood Elves never even saw a Fel Crystal, let alone drained from one, so the eye colour is essentially like radiation poisoning. You don’t have to have licked a nuclear bomb in order to be effected by what happens when it is used :slight_smile:

So yeah, you are absolutely right, we do see Blood Elf Children models during ‘Children’s Week’ and they have fel-green eyes, but that’s an old thing, and pre-dates the golden eyes thing, so it seems that whilst the actual eye taint -does- carry across the generations, it -can- be removed with faith.

Organically, they are indeed the same Species, as you say, and logically, Brigante, as a Farstrider Ranger who never saw a Fel Crystal in his life, but equally is not massively religious, would probably have blue eyes, but that isn’t an option.

In short, yes, it is exactly how you describe…

It’s cool that you explain some grammar rules. English is not my native language and a few tips could be useful for me cause of this :sweat_smile:

I have a really simple policy when it comes to languages, one that I use with my guild members who are not Brits. “The day I can criticise your English is the day that I can speak your language fluently”

I speak French, German and Russian (As well as my native English obviously) , I could not imagine how stressful it would be to try and play on an RP Realm using those languages. The fact that in my Guild I have people from France, from Sweden, from Germany, from Poland, from Dubai, and I can understand them all, because their English is so good, is frankly a humbling thing. It genuinely humbles me, I won’t lie, the English are absolutely rubbish, generally, at learning other languages, we simply don’t see the need, and, it might just be me, but I actually see that as a fairly shameful state of affairs…a bit arrogant and…whilst I love my country, it is a thing that I don’t -like- about my country.

Perhaps I think about these things too much…

I’m not an English teacher (Although I nearly did go into teaching as a profession ten years back) but I do have a reasonable grasp as to how it works, so…if uhh, non native English speakers do want advice, I’m perfectly happy to give it, in so much as I can?

4 Likes

Frankly I would also wouldn’t learn any language if english would by my native language. But I’m probably too lazy for that. I’m frum Russia and moved to Germany as a child. Now I speak 3 languages and I’m pretty proud cause of it :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Well, yeah, I mean that is something to be proud of, its a skill, its not something you are born with, but something you have to learn, so yeah, be proud of it. I mean you are going from Russia which has (Correct me if I am wrong) 33 letters in the Cyrillic alphabet, to English (Roman Alphabet) which has 26. I found that crazy to get my head round when I started learning Russian. I mean if you had asked me to think of new letters of the Alphabet beyond the 26 I knew, and what they would sound like, I would have been at an absolute loss, and could not have even thought of them, Then I learned the Cyrillic Alphabet and was like “OH, Yeah, I get it!”

Learning languages -is- a skill to be proud of, like learning to play a musical instrument, or becoming an accomplished artist. Not -everyone- can do it, so it is actually completely right to feel proud about being able to do so!

5 Likes

Wouldn’t like to derail this thread, but since you guys touched one of my favorite topics… (it’s my profession actually lol)

Do you have any advice on learning vocabulary? I started learning French and German 7 years ago. I excel at grammar, and that’s cause I love grammar (I really cannot stress how much I love grammar, whatever the language). Pronunciation isn’t a issue for me either, probably due to the fact of being bilingual as far back as I can recall. My Achilles’ heel is vocabulary. I just… don’t know what to do in this regard.

So you hear me saying basic stuff in German or French almost like a native, fluent and with few to no grammar errors. But, the moment I want to elaborate and discuss a deep conversation topic… only English and Spanish words come to my mind. I look like a fool trying to utter a sound :joy:

People keep telling me I should read… But let’s be clear - I’m a translator, I am REALLY tired of reading, please do not ask me to read in my free time lol

Hasn’t he been inside Silvermoon? Isn’t (or, canonically, wasn’t) that city filled with fel crystals? Aren’t or weren’t there any out in Eversong?

Do you really call the ’ sign a comma? I thought it was an apostrophe. Commas go along the bottom line, not looking like much more than an elongated full stop, don’t they?

Speak. Read (yeah, I know…). Listen (YouTube and other online videos and podcasts are your friends). Engage in conversation. Practical use is the primary way to actually learn, well, most things, really. Personally, I’ve got a keen interest in gardening. English isn’t my native language - it’s Norwegian. But a lot of really good gardening inspiration comes in English. At first, I found myself confused by a lot of terms and words for things I know well in Norwegian, but whose English names just hadn’t been a part of what I’ve previously used, heard and learned. Gradually, though, words and terms that had been strange, started becoming familiar, and I now find myself able to talk about gardening in English without struggling as much to come up with fitting terminology. Along the way, even a number of Latin names have become part of my active vocabulary.

I’d love to see blood elf children updated, and that golden eyes become common for them as well.

Is it faith? I thought it was exposure. Exposure to fel energies gave green eyes. Exposure to Light energies gave golden eyes. And faith in, as well as work with the Light, most likely strengthens the amount of exposure (like how getting vitamin D from sunshine, makes you able to absorb calcium better, working with the Light makes you absorb the energies of the Sunwell better).

I want San’layn, Highborne, Naga and Satyr way before I want High Elves.

Not whilst the Fel Crystals were there, he was Shattered Sun Offensive, so he still has the green eyes because of the ‘radiation’ effect, but never actually saw one.

You are of course, correct, I completely confused the two words! :smiley:

I think that would be an interesting move. I mean in honesty it is likely ridiculously low on Blizzard’s list of priorities (Understandably so) but it would be interesting to know if the glow is not passing to children post the Fel-Crystal era. (From my perspective mainly because Brigante has two children born after that era and as my Guild writes a lot of fiction on our Guild recruitment thread it would be good to know, I described them as having Fel Green eyes but it would be good to know if that has changed…I mean it has for Adults…)

I think it is indicated to be a strong factor. The first character we ever see depicted with golden eyes was Liadrin, who it is fair to say that as a Priestess, and later a Paladin is fairly devout, whereas even with his new model, updated -after- Gold eyes were introduced, Lor’themar still has a Green eye, presumably because as a Farstrider he’s not especially devout in the faith of the Holy Light.
I think at this point it is largely a matter of personal taste. I’m sticking with the green eyes, as the aesthetic works for me better that way, not because he was some Fel-Vampire, just because it is our Guild Headcanon that Dragonhawk Riders have a very unsettling stare, given that they spend so much time staring into the wild blue yonder, looking for foes in the skies.

Actually another profession I contemplated, when younger, that of a Translator!

Bizarrely I have the opposite problem, I am great with Vocabulary, and Pronunciation, but am poor on Grammar. Even in English I am poor with Grammar, I could not tell you the difference between a noun, a verb and an adverb without Googling it. I know enough to formulate my words, and punctuate them correctly, and frankly, that is enough for me…

Increasing your vocabulary is tricky, Obviously I can only speak from the point of view of an English person learning other languages, but the essential problem is that when you learn another language, you sometimes only get taught one word, when that language has many words for the same thing, and new and evolving slang. Like, in German, I may refer to ‘Mein Freund’, whereas in English it could be ‘My Friend’, but also My Buddy, My mate, My Pal, My Bro, My Homey, My Brother/sister from another mother/another mister.

It is the colloquial aspects that are tricky, as otherwise we sound stilted and archaic when speaking another language.

I’d say reading was good(I know, I know that’s a ‘no’ for you) but I found it useful, When I was learning German I gathered a lot of colloquial German words from two books, ‘Der Richter und Sein Henker’ and ‘Die Wolke’ (The latter book is heartbreaking), but also I learned a lot, from a series that I had actually already watched at home, translated into English, but that we had to watch as part of German lessons at school. ‘Das Boot’, in the original German. Yeah, they actually made us watch a War Film at school! Admittedly we were A-Level students, so in context we were all over 16…

I learned a lot from that, so perhaps that is a good avenue to follow, watch some foreign movies in the original language, piece together the slang, the phrasing, how the words are used. I don’t know, heck, If you’re a Translator, you know better how that works than I do, but I found exposure to ‘foreign’ media to be vastly helpful in learning the idiosyncrasies of languages.

1 Like

We watched saving private ryan at school and we were only 14.

1 Like

That’s actually pretty awesome. Bear in mind I was 16 a long time ago, 28 years to be precise, so it was rare back then, but I think watching ‘Saving Private Ryan’ would have been a valuable lesson, especially the first few moments, as in "If you join the army, this is what can happen, it is not all glory and raising the flag, but sometimes is just horrible and random death’.
There are some films like that, that I firmly believe should be shown to children before they leave school, so that children who want to join the armed forces, as I did, and did in the end, do so with no illusions and under no pretence of the nastiness that could ensue.

Well the first scene on the beach was interesting and very gruesome, but after that, being the 14 year old self that I was, I kind of just switched off. :stuck_out_tongue:

Horde.

Who? We have all kinds of highborne EXCEPT high elves playable right now.

Most likely also a Horde race, if they were ever to become playable, which is unlikely because of their physique.

Also more likely a Horde candidate, considering their relationship with night elves.

That’s three suggestions for Horde races, and one that’s already playable, that you’d want before the ONE Alliance race. Two of those might be possible, though I haven’t yet met a female satyr. San’layn have been suggested repeatedly as a favoured Allied race for the Horde, opposite high elves for the Alliance.

1 Like

Exactly.
#FortheHorde

Actually laughing here. Brilliant response. I do, however, have this vague feeling that if the Horde gets three allied races more than the Alliance, some Alliance players might get just a bit querulous.

2 Likes

You can have Leper Gnomes, Wildhammer Dwarves and Vanilla High Elf modelled, High Elves :hugs:

Horde.

Yes, please.

I’d prefer they used the current models.

By the way, I actually searched for good synonyms to the word “miffed” to find the word “querulous”, and used it here, for the first time, learning a new word.

Oh no, you want the High Elves, you’ve got to have them in their original forms.

With Vanilla WoW coming out and all…:hugs:

Trust me, there even some native English speakers who can’t even speak English.

2 Likes

Says the blood elf player, with freshly updated models, that’s both got options that makes them stay current, in touch with recent lore, and that matches NPCs of that same group.

#FortheHorde :stuck_out_tongue: