Question regarding expansions and healing

Hi Everyone,

Never been a big WoW player but thought to give it a go :slight_smile: I got a hunter lvl’ed up a few years ago but couldn’t play much back then.

I was wondering now that I am 2-3 expansions behind, are you required to purchase shadowlands, etc or can I just skip it and just buy Dragonflight?

Another question would be regarding healing, I love healing in MMO’s and was thinking to play druid but was wondering if it’s a “true” healing class or some kind of hybrid? As I noticed you get several shapeshifts, etc.

Thx for answering my newbie questions :slight_smile: and hopefully see you in game :slight_smile:

If you pay a sub/buy gametime, you get access to all of the game up to the end of BfA (level 50).

You need to buy Shadowlands to access the current end game (50-60).

Yes, to play above level 50 now - between now and end of year when Dragonflight is released - you would have to buy the Shadowlands expansion. It is pretty cheap in the Shop now, as it should be since it’s 3/4 over.

If you wait until Dragonflight (probably December), we expect that Shadowlands will become free then. That’s what they usually do.

So your decision is to buy Shadowlands for the remaining months, or to hold off until Dragonflight.

I’m no healer, and I would recommend that you check out videos on YouTube as the best way to get a sense of what the different stypes do. Druid is not a hybrid healer. It is a straight healer whose specialty is Healing Over Time. Most of your gameplay will involve putting HoTs on your party, with a big instant heal available for usually your Tank when he has a HoT on.

Shapeshifting is a feature of Druid, but not especially of Resto Druid. Apart from Tree Form, which is an occasional cooldown for increased power, you don’t need to shapeshift as Resto, though you probably will quite often for a speed increase between encounters.

However, the accepted style of play in higher-level Mythic-Plus dungeons is that healers are also expected to do damage as well as healing. This applies to all healers, not just Druid. Do if you are expecting to push into higher and more difficult content, whatever your class, you won’t be allowed to “just heal”; you will be expected to churn out some DPS when healing is not needed.

It is a true healing class.
For healing you don’t even use the shapeshifting for your main purpose, healing.

Druid just has the unique choice too play all 4 different “roles”. Bieing tank, healer, melee dps or ranged dps.

Their shapeshifts are used like this:
Tank: Guardian (Bear)
Healer: None, Optional become a tree (lmao)
Melee dps: Feral (cat)
Ranged dps: Balance (Owl), usually called Boomkin.

Their extra shapeshifts are a traveling form that consists of ground travel (bit slower) and/or flying travel and a ground travel form which can carry 1 other player.

So for healing you are not forced into the shapeshifting portion.
(Excluding min-maxing dealing dmg in extreme high M+ keys in downtime moments).

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.