Rage of the Frozen Champion

Is this the safest leg to use if im BOS build? Seems like it will increase the BOS uptime massively.

Or do i just follow the maths done before me and pick the rng Koltira’s Favor?

I play both M+ and raid but its an alt

I hate unholy.

If you’ll be doing both raiding and M+, I’d personally recommend Rage over Koltira for the BoS build. It’s offers great AoE damage and solid ST damage, which makes it a good general purpose legendary.

But with Koltitra BoS is much longer than with Frozen Champion.
So BoS with Koltira better, more runes, can proc in train (on BL-Heroism it can proc 5-6 times in a train), more damage with Obli, that we spam during BoS and longer Remorseless winter stacks.

So in M+ Koltira better, coz upper reason. And more runes spent durin Remorseless winter is better for our aoe and ST. If we spent much cd for Rime during Remorseless winter we lose RW damage.

So Frozen champion is just not enough good. It should buff Rime damage for addition 300%, coz Rime deal low damage with only 300% passive.

This isn’t entirely true. RotFC is better in AoE generally and is close in single target, that’s why it’s recommended in Mythic +.

Well rings are now 300k on my realm… and torg is up for rotfc so im just gonna grab that :\

All the sims show its pretty close and beats koltira on aoe which is nice for m+

12% chance is a VERY low chance. With such a low chance, it is not unheard of to get 0 Koltira procs during a normal breath window. In those cases, the only benefit is the 10% obl damage. Obliterate is usually ~8% of total dps, so that’s a 0.8% damage increase.

Most of the time it will proc once in a normal breath window. Even if we ignore cases where those 2 runes are wasted (which is not at all unlikely if the procs overlap with some Runic Empowerment procs due to the running breath, especially early in the breath and even more so if you’re venthyr and you’re holding back on runes because Swarming Mist has you lingering at 90RP) it is still only 2 runes during a breath window, eg +20 RP. You only need to consume 3 rime procs during your breath window for Rage to overpass that, which will happen pretty much 100% of the time.

As we examine theoretical examples of higher procs during a breath window, like the 5-6 chain procs you mention, not only are they VERY unlikely to happen due to the low base 12% proc chance, they also have diminished usefulness as they are MUCH more likely to end up being wasted.

Ultimately, as neither legendary alters your rotation, you are presented with the choice of either

1. ELIMINATING some of the spec’s RNG with Rage, since it makes you more likely to get a rime proc AND gives a significant benefit very often (60% proc chance) AND you have complete control over when exactly you get the 8 RP -and even if you mess it up and waste it, its much less of a waste compared to wasting 2 runes-

or

1. ADDING a ton of RNG on an already RNG heavy spec, in the form of a very low 12% proc (and even lower chain proc chance -we are talking sub 1% chain proc chances), which forces the 2 runes down your throat the moment it procs adding a significant waste chance, and ends up being worse 99.9% of the time

The only reason to go Koltira is if you are feeling extremely lucky in 1 specific pull and believe you will get 3 or more procs in your breath window, with good timing so they dont get wasted. As soon as this happens, you should switch out your Koltira for Rage, as the chances of that happening again anytime soon are abysmally low.

Practically, Koltira proc enough often. Аnd don’t forget about RW stacks. Without RW stacks system Koltira would be worse.

I can see that you’re really hyped about Koltiras. In that case, you should definitely use Koltiras and enjoy it.
I’m not a shareholder in Rage stocks, I don’t make any money off people using it or not. I’m merely explaining that it will mathematically result in higher DPS compared to Koltira’s for BoS builds in 99.99% of the cases. That being said, its one of the most boring and least noticable legendaries in the game. Rime’s proc chance going from 45% to 60% is not easy to notice in practice, and 8 RP is hardly jawdropping either. The reason Rage is so good is that it’s extremely consistent. Getting +8 RP every ~5 sec will help your DPS more, but if you still prefer Koltira’s “omg sick! proc! free obl goes BRRRR” hype moments, by all means you can go for it without sacrificing any huge amount of DPS. Rage is slightly better, nothing more nothing less.

This is a bold claim considering simulations say otherwise.

I’m not fun of obli spam and first leg that i crafted was Frozen Champion. In practice and non theory, Koltira feel better. Rime damage is too low and damage is halved on non main targets.

And think about that - more obli spam = more rime proc.
So in my practice Frozen Champion not enough good. Koltira better in overall.

If you use Obliterate 100 times throughout an encounter

1. Koltiras will proc 12 times, giving you 24 extra runes, which translate into 240 total extra runic power.

2. With Rage equipped, Rime will proc 60 times, and as a result Rage will give you 480 total extra runic power.

These numbers do not change from theory to practice. Koltira’s doesn’t “proc enough in practice”, it procs exactly 12% of the time. What does change is that you notice koltira’s because its more flashy. You go “Oh FREE obliterate”, but do you also go “oh no i just lost 8 rp” every time you use Rime with Koltira’s equipped?

BoS builds value runic power above all other resources. As far as runic power is concerned, Rage will give you TWICE the benefit compared to Koltira’s. This is the theory.
In practice, there are more variables, like as you said Koltira’s synergizing with Gathering Storm slightly, but also Rage synergizing with Avalanche slightly due to increased Rime procs, and a TON of other variables like each character’s secondary stats, which specific encounter we’re talking about etc etc

We can’t manually calculate all of these variables, which is why we have Simulations. On my character, Rage sims slightly ahead. This may very well be because of the slots I have crafted each in, and the replacements I have when I take each out. Or it may not. We don’t know.

What we do know, is that the 2 legendaries are very close, and if you like one over the other you can use it without feeling like you’re gimping your character.
This is MILES away from

But with Koltitra BoS is much longer than with Frozen Champion.

Im sorry but thats straight up a lie. Using Koltira’s over Rage will more often than not result in your breaths being SHORTER. If you like Koltira’s more, it’s super viable and you are free to use it. If you like Rage more, its also super viable and you are free to use it. If you go around telling other DKs “Just equip Koltira’s over Rage and your BoS will be MUCH LONGER” thats just spreading misinformation.

I do think you need to consider the following before drawing such a clear conclusion:

There’s a cost of pressing Rime in your BoS window since it generates less Runic Power per unit of time vs Obliterate. Obliterate is 20 for the GCD, rime is 8. Even if you’d overall gain more runic power with the rime procs, you gain it over more GCDs. This means that the extra runic power you get from the rimes don’t necessarily translate in a superious breath duration in all instances.

If you look at simulations, RotFC does give you a longer breath: 32.7 seconds vs 29.6 seconds with Koltiras. However, the longer breath doesn’t make up for the gain in Obliterate damage. Obliterate is 20%+ of your overall damage and a 10% increase on that is sufficient to make Koltiras better in pure st.

That is true. When you start running out of resources about 20 sec into your breath, a Koltira’s proc will feel godsent, and make you audibly yell “holy cow i LOVE this legendary”. This will never happen with Rage, because its a “small bits that add up” legendary.

The problem is that 88% of the time Koltiras will NOT give you that proc on the last obliterate you are so badly hoping for. That is the “not only is the proc’s chance low, its value will also fluctuate depending on proc timing” situation I talked about earlier.
Not only do you need the 12% proc to occur inside your breath window (breath has about 25% uptime, so you want to snipe a 12% proc inside a 25% window), you also want it to occur LATER in that window, roughly in the second half, to be really THAT good. Yes, when you get a 12% proc inside a 12.5% time window Koltiras is an AMAZING legendary. What happens the other times? What happens when you start getting low on RP, so you spam away all your runes on obl -ignoring rimes as they would cause you to drop BoS on that global- but the proc never comes? 3 sec later you’re out of runes, and you just throw the towel by consuming your 0 RP generating rime because you have nothing else to do.

Rage is the opposite of that. Instead of ignoring rimes and spaming back to back to back obliterates crossing your fingers for a proc, you start alternating obl - rime - obl - rime early on in the window, spacing out your resources better, wasting no procs, and steadily dipping from high RP to low RP. When you drop low enough, you pop Swarming Mist, use mist’s generation to safely climb back up, and start slowly dipping again.

Also, i think there has been a misunderstanding. All my comments are from a DW m+ point of view, and all my simulations are done in Dungeon Slice. I’m sorry if I forgot to mention those. Obliterate is nowhere close to 20% of my dps, its around 8-10. If you’re playing 2h bos or you’re talking about raid encounters, then indeed Koltira’s is just straight up better, as the 10% obl damage part massively outweights the increased rime+avalanche damage.

That changes everything. I 100% recommend RoTFC for M+.

Also not big fan of dungeon slice. I do 40 sec 5 target no lust for AoE, 3 minute 1 target for bosses. Mix the results together and make decisions based on situation.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.