Raids for a dummy

Hello!

With the changes to Myth+, I’ve decided to join a raiding guild. The thing is, I haven’t stepped into anything but LFR since MoP. Used to be a hardworking raider since BK till Cata though. Did 10/25 HC with achivements etc. This said, I’m interested in sort of a short manual - what are raids (HC I guess?), how do they compare to old ones and what do I need to know before stepping back into this type of content in 2020? I’d like to mention that I decided to pick a DPS role this time (was healer/tank b4) and would appreciate an advice on a class pick aside of tuning attached if possible. I currently run DK/Pala/Warr.

Thank you in advance!

I returned for bfa after 8+ years away. Didnt do much raiding in the first tiers, few times i joined for raids i were a bit blown away with how many mechanics fights seemed to have compared to when i used to raid (BC/LK). For 8.3 i joined a raidteam and gotta say i quite quickly got used to raiding again (on a causal level). Just jump into it :slight_smile: good luck with your raiding advetures!

Well it’s a little late to be giving a lot of advice for BfA raids since you probably won’t have time for more than LFR or a normal run, but generally the difficulties are nowadays in four different categories: LFR, normal, heroic and mythic. LFR is just a place with randoms and you basically hit your head against the wall until the boss collapses, not much else to it.

Normal on the other hand will require a group that is at least composed by the players themselves. It’s kind of like a non-LFR version of LFR: you might need to know mechanics at this stage (or you do, actually). Heroic is for the better pugs, as in you do need to know tactics and your class at this point, and it might get difficult to find a competent enough group to fully clear the raid. Raidleaders will usually ask for a “curve” on heroic, and this refers to the ahead of the curve achievement obtained by killing the last boss of that raid on heroic.

Mythic requires an organized group (read. guild) to make significant progress in. This tier, pugs are able to clear 3 of the first bosses usually, 4th if they’re lucky, but progress stops there (12 bosses in total). So aside from the very first bosses you probably won’t be doing this without a guild. And if you are, the highest of requirements are usually asked of you (usually prior mythic boss experience, at the very least curve). But since we’ll go Shadowlands soon you’ll have time to catch up to everyone and here’s a tip: try to gear your character to a good level when the raid tier comes out the first week and do heroic then: if you get your curve during the first 1-3 weeks of the raid opening, this’ll help you massively in the future if you’re doing pugs because you’ll be auto-invited to groups if you have the achievement (and there’ll be no achievement requirements for joining pugs for the first 1-3 weeks since nobody has anything).

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.