RDF & Capitalism

Lol, I’m enjoying this alternative narrative you’re coming up for me. What else did I do?

You should consider a career as a psychic or something. You’re clearly a natural at this totally not bullsh!tting.

It doesn’t really matter to me. You’ve made a lot of posts and all of them come across that way.

You do not know what you are saying. That is the problem. It is not perfect thing while RDF was. And not only roles but also lvl brackets and so on, learn to read.

1 Like

I am literally the smartest in this case though, it’s not my fault people choose to lie about their experience

Well I mean RDF can have an effect on people that nobody levels in an open world when everything is so easy with RDF. Problem is that this is happening even without RDF anyway.

1 Like

This is an interesting one because I don’t think it’s entirely a question of casual vs. hardcore.

I’m against RDF, but I would also classify myself as a casual. Why am I casual? Because I absolutely don’t care about the minmax aspect. I’m the kind of player who likes to smell the roses, even doing the occasional silly RP every now and then. I’m the kind of guy who will go out of his way to finish a quest for another player just so that we can go on together. To me player interaction and a good sense of world are ultimately more important than any other part of the game. I don’t play the game in a competitive manner.

I think there are different kinds of casual. You have the casual who’d rather solo through the game painlessly. That kind of player will enjoy RDF because it enables that better than anything. But I think you also have the chatroom casual, who’d rather mess around with other people in the world and so on.

For me, it’s also highly valuable if I can learn to know people on the server and see them over and over again organically. Cross-realm features are damaging to this.

The people that don’t want to quest in the world aren’t going to. It’s like me, im not doing Outland. I have done like 5 quests in hellfire and I want to kill myself.

1 Like

Nobody says it should be cross realm. We have enough players, at least on fresh realms, to queue. And nothing stops you from creating your own grp that will just get teleported to a dungeon, that’s it.

But you must overcome your ego and accept that group can be created by automated system too and not just you and that you spend less time waiting/heading to summoning stone and umm socializing, chatting with people about how your life sucks or whatsoever, at least when i got invited to grp, the only thing other than silence was “someone pls help me sum” and “I am coming” with the second sentence could be said after 10 mins of nobody coming.

Of course it can be created automatically. It’s also not about ego. I just think there’s value in creating groups manually. It’s contributed to socialization a fair bit in my experience—but I also talk a lot in game, which may in turn contribute to others talking, making the group more social as a whole.

Obviously there’s no certainty either way: you can have a talkative RDF group just as you can have a mute non-RDF group. Statistically speaking, however, I would bet that RDF groups are going to be less social.

That’s what I remember from back in the day, and that’s what I’ve seen in retail footage.

I think there’s also value in keeping some sort of connection between the world and the instance. RDF completely severs that connection, and the dungeon becomes more like a level you select from a list. You can take a character through 20 dungeons without having the slightest clue where they’re located in the world. The world of Warcraft quickly becomes secondary to the dungeons of Warcraft.

And that’s really the main takeaway. The world (questing) hemorrhages players to dungeons, which results in less socializing and makes whatever socializing remains less interesting and more one-dimensional.

1 Like

I pretty much do.

RDF was never perfect, as it had a cost for the entire game.

Again, we can see what the cost is in retail WoW.

But what’s really eye opening is to see posts and articles from more than a decade ago on the matter:

https://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comments/j8ubu/random_dungeon_finder_ruined_wow_for_me/

"Posted by [u/VenusBlue] 11 years ago

Random dungeon finder ruined wow for me.

“I used to love to play WoW. A huge, expansive world filled with random encounters consisting of friends and foes alike. Granted, I like the ability to queue in a dungeon, but that has replaced the need to quest. Questing used to be awesome. You would always run into other people, whether it be a standoff with an enemy or some people from your side. The last time I played I went to several places that were just deserted. It was kinda saddening that they have this huge beautiful world that they made obsolete and barren. It seems like instead of making the most of the world, they made it to where it’s a monotonous queue for dungeons or grinding dailies. Anyone else feel this way?”

https://www.tentonhammer.com/articles/the-pros-and-cons-of-lfg-dungeon-raid-bg-finder

Removes the social aspect – Due to the simplicity of getting into a group, and never having to talk to anyone, even once you are in the group, the LFG tools pretty much remove the social aspect of the game. This is a really bad thing for the game, since an MMO is supposed to be about social interaction and working together with other players. By removing that requirement from the game, detracts from the game as a whole. There is fewer opportunities to make friends and create ongoing groups to play with simply because it is so easy to just click a button and be in a group.”

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/dungeons/Why-this-game-has-no-dungeon-finder

"WoW’s dungeon finder ruined the game’s dungeons because of antisocial behavior based on the need to compete for loot rolls coupled with the relative anonymity granted by the huge player pool and the way the devs started creating dungeons to cater to the unskilled pugs that attempted them. GW2 doesn’t have the loot problem and as long as ANet is able to separate dungeon design from the method used to find a group it won’t impact future dungeon design.

I’d like a basic dungeon finder."

Basically, you are shown here that these problems are not something that people are now inventing because of some nostalgia.

RDF has it’s consequences.

2 Likes

Talking in dungeons, what even is that? Obviously a person like Butmuncher is going to be talking a lot regardless of what they’re doing and a minmax player that is just trying to get daily emblems is going to talk very little.

And then you have a lot of grey between those two extremes. What those players do is very much affected by where the systems steer them.

1 Like

I don’t think so. I just think there is no one alive who thinks its interesting that we can communicate with people all over the world anymore, is old school

The communicating itself is nothing special. I communicate on Discord all the time.

But is an MMORPG world synonymous to a WhatsApp or Discord discussion in terms of what it offers from a social (or interpersonal) standpoint? I would argue no.

MMORPGs are unique in that they are virtual worlds. I think they should leverage that aspect, as they offer something that is pretty unique in the world of gaming and otherwise. I see it as a huge waste to create a massive world with thousands of simultaneous players and then reducing it to a collection of instances where everyone is playing their own quasi-single player game.

2 Likes

The only actual difference is that there is more instances to choose from in RDF. The amount of people spamming instances is probably higher in Classic/right now than its ever been in any time of the game.

WTF are you doing on game forums then? You just wanna destroy the game, you dont even play, for others? Thats your hobby?

In my humble opinion most people want RDF back.

2 Likes

My hobby is the destruction of your RDF dreams, yes.

this gotta be some sort of mental illness btw

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.