Retail wow has spoiled players so much

Try pet battles, might be your thing, since you’re already playing WoW just to complete your collection, a collection of items some websites call BiS, a collection which means nothing in several months.

How is this grind any different, for years you fill each character slot with the items the websites tells you and then start it again months later, like a hamster wheel.

People play this game for different reasons and have many diverse goals, you have ONE and because you can’t accomplish it anymore you think the game itself doesn’t offer any.

2 Likes

Good luck. People keep using that term. Classic is not an MMORPG. It has RP elements, same as Retail does, but neither is a pure MMORPG, there never has been one in fact. The Genre is misnamed. Every ‘MMORPG’ that has been released is an MMOG. They never take into account the RP elements.

Sad but true.

1 Like

Not entirely true. Even WoW is an MMORPG if one plays on an RP server. It’s up to the community to have real role playing.

personally farming gear isnt the only goal in the game for me, and that’s what I like more about retail than classic. I can go farm up to several hundred cool mounts, I can farm for pets, I can collect sick looking transmogs from several expansions, I can just run M+/Arenas for fun if I feel like. I can farm achievements that award titles / mounts.

It’s not all about gear for the average wow player, and in that case the forging doesn’t really bother you.

Can do none of what I previously mentioned on classic. If anything there’s less goals you can pursue there.

1 Like

This is true, and I absolutely do play on the biggest RP server EU. However that is the -players- making it an MMORPG, not Blizzard making it so. I wish it were, I pretty much play solely for the RP these days.

really over used phrase I wish people would find something else then toxic its completely lost its meaning and used for everything .

1 Like

Seconded. Unfortunately that is the nature of the Internet, people will jump on words they see somewhere and start spewing them everywhere, suddenly everyone is, to the extent that the word loses its actual meaning, and instead becomes a warning sign that a person is quite naïve and child-like in their argumentation.

‘Cringe’ is my current bugbear “That’s a bit Cringe” No. No it is not, something cannot -be- a bit Cringe, a person can be slightly cringing, a situation can be slightly cringeworthy, but not Cringe. No situation is -Cringe-, a person -can- Cringe, or be a Cringer, especially in situations that are Cringeworthy, but that word does not work the way people want it to.

Like Edgy. What I love/hate about ‘Edgy’ is people going “OMG I can’t believe you are still using the word ‘Edgy’ these days.”

That is because I am using it in its correct sense, you barbarous ape, and not in whatever hurried and distressed lexicon the Internet has. This is even more ironic, because someone who is Edgy, is exactly the opposite of what these language thieves took the word to mean. I think the vibe they were going for is ‘Edgy’ was in some way malevolently cool or aggressive for aggression’ sake? I don’t know, no one could ever explain it. What ‘Edgy’ actually means is someone being nervous, anxious, worried continually, fretful and easily startled.

There is no such word as Edgelord, but one can only presume it means someone who has elevated being nervous to such a level that even other nervous and edgy people, concede, had they the temerity to do so, that the Edgelord is the most Edgy, anxious, nervous and afraid of them all.

I hate Internet ‘Buzz words’ with a passion, because they aren’t even proper slang with a pedigree and have no longevity…

2 Likes

I don’t have them. My onions are really underpowered, I have to use a ton of them on my tacos.

don’t mind me, just practicing being a dad

1 Like

This thread makes me think the OP would consider indoor loos and electricity “spoiling people”. QoL improvements to take away from pointless grinds isn’t a step forward we shouldn’t celebrate.

3 Likes

Well, that’s true even for table-top RPGs.

Ehh, most of them have some sort of ‘encumbrance’ rule meaning you can’t just put seven battleaxes in a backpack. I still remember a party arguing “We need to get this religious statue out of here” “Fine, well who is going to carry it?” “Hrafnir, you’re a Dwarf, you’re good with stones” “WHat, are ye seriously telling me we’re going with racial profiling as a way of deciding who carries things? I’ve already got all of the gold we’ve looted in my backpack, thank you very much, why can’t llondir carry it?” “I’m an Elf,I don’t do heavy lifting, besides, Where would I put it, I’m carrying all of our magic items, and a bow, and all my arrows thank you very much, Why can’t you carry it Sir Douglas?” “It might be Evil, and I am a paladin” “It was a Priest who sent us to get it, a Priest of -your- religion may I add” “Yes, well, alright, I’ll be honest, I’m already carrying so much stuff that I don’t think I can, which only leaves…”

The Halfling Thief is contentedly trying to pry some rubies out of the stonework “Whaaat? Whaaat, its not stealing, it is the alteration of reality by the selective redistribution of property!”
“Can you carry this Statue?”
“Physically? Uh, Yeah, If we walk really slowly, I mean it -is- the same size as me”.

Fun times…

1 Like

Happy to be spoiled. Classic’s slow and plodding pace bores me to tears.

Game where you play as an epic superhero…or game where you role play a nobody…hmmm :face_with_monocle:

One goal? I’ve practically done everything Retail has to offer lmao. Including pet battles. I have 28k achievement points since Legion for God’s sake, are you really telling me to try out pet battles? :joy:

I have more than a leg to stand on to say what has and hasn’t been fun over the many years of playing retail, and what has and hasn’t kept me playing through the years.

It’s hard to argue with stupidity. I can also say the sky’s pink, doesn’t mean it is what I said it is.

I play ON a RP server, AND the RP is booming, so speak for yourself my child.

I’m responding to what you SAY, not what you have or did. I believe judging the character you posted on and not your idea is called “armory trolling”, you’re upset i’m not doing that?

Where did I say I have one goal??? Listen… Retail has LOADS of content, sure but it’s all worthless. Another cosmetic toy to add to your collection of 400? another random mount to add to my collection that I’ll never ride. Another title to go along with the other 150 you have.

Game is oversaturated with throwing gifts at players every 2 minutes to ease their ADHD induced by the go-go attitude. Even the titanforging system is just a bandaid fix to try and keep players continuing to play. They even did it with reputations and bonus caches lmfao. Nothing feels rewarding, nothing feels worth it.

At this point it’s insulting and I genuinely feel like a hamster, but I’m not into running on wheels that feel like a chore.

I started playing WoW because I wanted to feel part of a huge online world, gather, make friends, go get loot, ya’know the basics and cores of MMORPG. Retail has literally turned into the Sims, where the only thing you can really do outside of raiding and your 1 weekly M+ for your chest loot (lol) is farm cosmetics, pets and mounts lol.

But hey, there’s 2 versions of the game, and I’ll stick to the one I find more fun.

1 Like

In the post i quoted you talking about gearing as a goal and ended your post by saying, that beside that one goal of gearing, the game has 0 other goals.
If i’m wrong then what other logical conclusion can i draw from here?

Anyway i’m not denying that you may feel like on a hamster wheel, but as i said in my previous post, how does removing TF change that? how is collecting gear to complete an imaginary BiS list different from collecting gear for your transmog sets? it looks like the same hamster wheel to me

One has an impact on gameplay, the other is just cosmetic. And it’s not just gear, it’s the social aspect (I know, rolls eyes) but stuff like CRz has broken the immersion of the game, and instead of feeling like you’re in a living breathing online world, you feel like you’re just in a huge instance, with random people from other servers phasing in and out.

For example I joined a RFC group last night, and I got recognised by two players because I was herbing a lot in Redridge the day previously, and it sparked up an entire conversation, and now I have 2 new bnet buddies, and got invited to their guild. Stuff like that just doesn’t happen on retail; you could force it, but it doesn’t feel organic.

I’m not going to beat the dead horse anymore, sure Retail has a lot of pluses, and QoL things, and if you love eyecandy, and enjoy collecting your little nicknacks, go ahead, but not for me right now :smiley: Not even professions really matter.

1 Like

Yes, true, however this doesn’t really answer my question. Why isn’t collecting a full mythic raid “set” fulfilling that purpose? cause it has an impact on gameplay aswell yet if it doesn’t have a socket you can’t make a goal out of it. I don’t get that.

I read several stories like this, but it doesn’t sound organic to me. Making friends just cause you SAW some people in another region? And the others have similar claims, they made a new friend by level 8, that sounds very forced.

I mentioned this in another post but it’s the tinkerbell effect, we have this mythological view of vanilla where everyone was nice, helpful and wanted to be your friend so i guess most people go in with this mentality and act accordingly.