Returning player, I have no idea what to do

Hello, I haven’t played since MoP. Just subscribed again and I have a lvl 90 death knight in my hands and I’m completely lost. I guess none of my skills work now and online player count in my realm is 3. I’m open to every suggestion, what should I do? Where do I start?

Any advice?

Hey there,

Hmm, it’s possible that your realm is pretty dead (though put no value in your /who lists claim of there only being 3 players online, the /who list is just useless now really).

Your forum character suggests you’re on Dunemaul, and the lack of posts on the Dunemaul forum does seem to suggest it is a Ghost town (however i’ve never played there, so can’t confirm). As a level 90 you probably haven’t set foot in 2 of the 3 main hubs though, Those are (for Horde) Orgrimmar, new Dalaran in the broken isles and Zuldazar.

Dead realm
This isn’t a huge issue for a beginning or returning player to be fair, especially not once you reach Legion content (level 98) and afterwards even less so in BfA content. There have been a lot of changes since MoP as to how things fit together cross-realm and the like. One feature you should probably be aware of early on is Warmode (more on this later).

New character / Using boost
If you intend to make a new character or intend to use the Character boost thats part of buying the BfA expension, then i would suggest thinking through the alternatives first when it comes to what realm to do that on.

Warmode
You can turn Warmode on/off when you’re in Orgrimmar (its a button on your talent page). Warmode ON players do not see Warmode OFF players in the outside world (and vice-versa), so this can affect the population a lot. I would recommend WM enabled for you, even if you have no interest in world pvp, because of the extra benefits it gives (access to pvp talents when questing and a hierloom-style boost in XP).

As for being completely lost and your skills not working,

Regarding abilities
I would say start off clean. Go to Orgrimmar, make a screenshot of your actionbar, clean your actionbar entirely, review your talents (if you hadn’t already) and then build up your actionbar again from the spellbook. Because many spells, that you used to have, have been removed or replaced since MoP.

Where to quest
If you ment “where to start” when it comes to questing, you want to grab a quest that sends you to a part of the Tanaan Jungle, this is the intro questline for the WoD expansion (MoP->WoD->Legion->BfA).

The Tanaan jungle questline (Draenor continent) leads to Frostfire where you can build your own Garrison housing, that will be your central location until level 98.

At 98 you can get the quest line to “move” the city of Dalaran to the Broken Isles (a new continent). That will then become your main hub until level 108 or 110 or so.

I can’t really think of much else to say without anything more specific to go on.

If you want you can post your BattleTag (that shows on the top of your friendslist), then i’ll add you and you can ask more specific things in game as you hit them. And of course theres many other forum posts and/or wowhead guides that can probably help as well.

Edit: I forgot to mention that if you can’t find the quests i suggested you should pick up, you either get them from zoning into Orgrimmar, or from the Adventure Journal (thats a button on the menubar, near the Talents/Mounts-buttons), or otherwise likely from the Command Board in Orgrimmar across the street from the main Auction House.

3 Likes

Welcome back to the game

I’ve attached the icy veins levelling guide for your class below should it be of any use to you

Dunemaul was my first server and it has been merged with two other realms
Auchindoun and Jaedenar. I left a long time ago for a PvE server but PvE and PvP servers no longer exist. Every server can be used in War Mode on or off as per player preference. You can get a rough idea of populations from sites like https://realmpop.com/eu.html.

If you stopped playing during Mists of Pandaria you will now be ready to move on to the Warlords of Draenor expansion. I believe you should be able to pick up the quest from the notice/war board in Orgrimmar. One is located at the entrance to Grommash Hold. Khadgar will be waiting for you at the Dark Portal (in Blasted Lands) to send you through to start your adventure.

1 Like

Thank you guys for replying so detailed and quickly, pretty much answered all the questions in my head. I’ve read a few guides and watched some videos. Sorted out my skills and talents, kinda, a lot changed I need to adapt a bit. I think I need to change my realm, it’s dead beyond resurrection now. My BattleID is Neb#2191 you can add if you don’t mind. Thanks again but I think it will take a while :D.

I’m also open to realm suggestions, or is it wise to change it at all? Should I start a new character somewhere else?

1 Like

Well, personally i don’t like being on dead realms, but it isn’t anywhere near as bad as it used to be (at max level).

When you’re max level and doing your world quests out in the world (that is the successor of what used to be daily quests), you’re not just seeing people from your realm around you, there will be many other realms sharing the same instance of that zone.

It’s kinda similar to how queuing for battlegrounds used to work in MoP, if you remember that. BattleGroups were about a dozen realms tied together, and whenever you’d queue for one, you’d be grouped up with people from those other realms in addition to your own. That is kind of similar now in the outdoors.

So the problem with dead realms isnt so much when questing. Most dungeon/raid content is completely independent of your realm so that’s not a problem either. Grouping for quests or custom things can be done with the group finder now too, which lets you group cross realm, so that’s fine too. It’s really mostly the auction house and the small pool of available guilds that can be a pain (in my experience).

Whether that’s worth paying money to transfer for… i dunno. It’s your money :slight_smile:

Also, sidenote, i personally find it’s nice to have atleast one character on a dead realm for collecting stuff (like mount dropping rares with very long respawn timers and such) but for actual playing i prefer seeing a lot of people around, and having a lot of activity on the auction house.

I don’t know if you’ve bought BfA the latest expansion yet, but if/when you do, you’ll get a level 110 character boost with it. Allowing you to make a new char thats instantly level 110, on whatever realm you want.

It’ll also give you access to Class Trials which lets you make temporary(!) level 110 characters of any class and on any realm. Those class trial characters become unplayable after a few hours of playtime, but that’s enough to try out a class you’ve never played, or to see how active other realms are (though you could do that with a level 1 as well, after begging for a portal to the new world).

And there’s also Demon hunters, a new class that starts at level 98 (similar to Death knights starting at 55 orso). But of course i don’t know if you’d like that class or not. (a fun class on crap realm is often still better than a disliked class on great realm).

Personally, i would either use the Character Boost that comes with BfA to "start’’ on another realm, or make a new demon hunter, or pay money to transfer your existing main. There is so much new content in the game from the 3 expansions you didn’t play yet, that i would find it kind of a waste to spend your time doing the 1 to 90 bit again in zones you’ve already seen before.

It depends on your preferences.

PvP-realms no longer exist due to warmode, but thats a recent development so usedtobe-PvP realms still tend to have more pvp-focused people on it than usedtobe-PvE realms.

Assuming you want an active community you may as well go for the polar opposite to a dead realm, a realm thats stuffed to the max.
Draenor is big with Horde PvE (my prefered realm), Kazzak is big with Horde PvP and Argent Dawn for RP from what i can tell. Silvermoon for Alliance PvE.

I’ll add you.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.