Rogues and locked chests

If it wasn’t for the group, you never would’ve reached the chest.

Funny that you’d talk about leveling skinning being easy, while technically it is for a player at max level, the amount of skins I’ve skinned from mobs as I’ve leveled and killed beasts is so far higher than one thousand, because I’ve sold 800 medium leather, over 230 heavy leather with over 600 in my inventory still and over 200 thick leather, not taking account all the hides to boot. Half of the medium leathers were freebies from hillsbrad foothills, rest were not.

My skinning is roughly 260 atm.

If there’s a Rogue in the group and they can unlock the chest, the chest is usually rolled for by the group.

Rogues will have to /Roll like everyone else. Imagine if the mage would not trade water to the group etc. make azeroth a better place and be a friendly human being!

4 Likes

The difference is that you trained this time consuming and boring thing for a profit.

I’m happy to share when I’m in a group.

If a rogue is really that bothered about looting chests, then we can, of course, go solo farm them by ourselves and keep all the loot, all of the time. Thank you Distract ability!

Roll for it since it is a group effort.

• If the group wasn’t their, the rogue would not have the chance to open it.
  • Class utilities are their to help other classes in RPG. As mages give water and food, warlocks help summon, and hunters who use tranq shot; rogue open locks (including chests).

Sure lock picking isn’t easy to level, but it is free if you do it right. It just makes you more desirables as a rogue to join a group. That’s the benefit you get.

I just open it for them. I dont care. Its a quick 2 clicks. Chests have garbage in them most the time anyways. So who cares.

To me they should be rolled for.

But then I don’t mind the following logic rule either:
Characters who worked to be able to open it should roll for it.
That is:

• Rogues.
  • Blacksmiths with keys.
  • Engineers with seaforium charges.

If others want to open locked chest, they can train the right professions.

I tend to follow what the group wants since those chests are really not a big deal. If no one suggests to roll for it I will ask before opening it. So far at level 60 it seems that quite a few groups can’t be bothered to roll for them.

I treat locked chests the same way as normal ones, /roll ill just lockpick it anyways
For skillz

There’s a similar place for Alliance Alther’s Mill I think - and the lake - in Redridge Mountains.

As far as I’m concerned, being able to open locked chests is one of the selling points of bringing a Rogue in your group instead of a mage for instance. As such, I would definitely be rolling for the chest along with the rest of the group.

Main arguments in favour of OP are:
-If there wasn’t a rogue (or BS/Engi) you wouldn’t be able to open it anyway
-It takes time and effort to level lockpicking
-It’s a profession, and you wouldn’t ask herbalists, skinners, or miners to share what they gather
-Rogues have to carry an extra item to even be able to lockpick

1: You wouldn’t be there if the group wasn’t there. Getting there was a team effort, and one of your contributions to the team is lockpicking
2: It takes time and effort (and often gold) to level pretty much everything the rest of the team is contributing with too. By that logic, the entire group should be paying for all reagents and expenses, including ammo and pet food, battle rez, Reincarnations, blessings, etc…
3: No, it’s not. The max rank scales with level and you don’t have to buy new recipes or ranks. It’s a skill, just like axes, swords, and maces.
4: Yeah, and shamans need bag space for totems and reagents, mages need several reagents, warlocks need an entire bag for shards, and hunters need an entire bag for ammo and additional bagspace for petfood.

If you don’t want to open locked chests for group members, you don’t have to. Simple as that.
But don’t pretend you’re not trying to justify being an a-hat.

I can’t believe this is even an argument. I played vanilla and locked chests were always rolled as group, because you are there as a group, not alone.

1 Like

While i was leveling i quickly figured out that most of the people really wanted to /roll on those chests where in my opinion whoever can open it should roll for it. Lets say a rogue and a blacksmith in the group they both roll on it whoever wins opens it and keep the loot.

You don’t ask for the miner whose in your group doing the same dungeon as you to /roll on those deposits hes been mining. Same with Herblism.

But then again while i feel strongly about this i just /roll with the group. Didn’t want to argue in a dungeon and risk people leaving.

2 Likes

Most groups I’ve been in all roll for the chest and the rogue just seems to allow it and unlock it for the winner. I think this should be seen as a bonus though. I really don’t mind if a rogue takes a locked chest as there would be no way for us to get into it without them anyway (or a blacksmith!). It’s nice when rogues give it to the group but it really should be something for you to be moaned at about if the rogue doesn’t share it! Some people act so entitled in this game… Just ignore them. Water off a duck’s back :d

Did you also roll on veins/herbs etc even though you didn’t have those professions?

Did you also have to pay to upgrade your skill? Because you have to actually pay to level professions

The rules is easy to understand. Without the group, Rogue will not have this chest. So, this is a simple /roll for all people in the group. And Eng can open chest to with fractured charge, it’s not a “Rogue-only” thing.

This is the same for a green chest BoE that drop into the dungeon. Without the group, no chest drop, so everyone roll for it.

Also, Lockpicking is not a profession (or maybe i’m wrong but guard in city doesn’t show “Lockpicking” in the profession list :wink: ).

Did you also roll on veins/herbs etc even though you didn’t have those professions?

Yes. In a group that is fair, you will do that because without the group, there’s no Rich Thorium Vein and Herbs. But frankly, no one care about that. Why ? Because the maximum amount of gold you can get about an Herb is 1g in dungeon (Ghost Mushroom), and RIch Thorium Vein is 45g if you have an Arcane Crystal in the vein.

A chest, can release a pattern like “Greater Arcane Elixir” that sell for 750 gold, or an epic item that can sell for 1000 gold.

Also, Mining / Skin / Herbs are material for professions. Chest contains general items like potions and items. This is not comparable.

And for example, if you are in a Raid as a PUG, you will likely roll for theses materials like for example Bloodvine in Zul’Gurub (herbs) or skin from Onyxia (Skinner). So yes, they are rolled, but not in dungeon because the value of that in a dungeon is totaly useless and only Dire Maul contain Rich Thorium Vein that can be valuable if you have an Arcane Crystal.