Rogues and locked chests

You roll for chests. If you try to claim it good luck in the dungeon queue. Rogues in mid levels are low tier dps and replacable. An attitude like that means you better like soloing.

4 Likes

Chest is rolled for.

Rogues lockpicking is one of the utility the class brings to the group.

Should I sell conjured food and water to party members?

1 Like

This is why i believe the op is the rouge i ran with last night, he actually said the same ‘there ment for rouges’ before rage quitting dont get me wrong not saying all rouges are like this tho, met afew mavericks too

Maybe your missing a trick! xD

So that is why, I am 1 level from a mount and still 30G short. Oh fudge XD

3 Likes

I’ve never even played rogue, but I never in my life thought of depriving a rogue or blacksmith the content of a locked chest. If I wanted to open locked chests, I should level my own rogue and lock picking skill. Hell, as a rogue, all you have to do is say ‘‘well guess I’m not opening it, then’’ and then what they gonna’ do? I think the rogue should get first dibs. But anything he doesn’t directly need, he should let someone else in the group have it. Things like weapons and armour should be given to group members really but things like mats and misc. items the lockpicker should get. If an item drops that the rogue and other member needs, I think the rogue should get it. After all, the item wouldn’t have even been accessible if they didn’t work to unlock the skill.

2 Likes

This is pretty much exactly my view on it. People that say “But mages and water, but locks with healthstones” is a silly argument. They don’t need to level those things. They instantly get it by training it at a class trainer. Lockpicking takes a good bit of time to level.

3 Likes

Don’t strain yourself hon, there’s thousands of nelf druid girls just like you who can heal a group.

2 Likes

Good for them? Don’t really care.

1. Did you start it to be able to do your rogue quests?
  2. If you could only open your own stuff, would you level it up?

If you answered yes to both questions, you can’t really claim it was an effort, but just part of your normal character progression. All rogues open boxes for being rogues, and you can train easily while pickpocketing, which people often do automatically with an opener macro for extra money anyway, or opening boxes for others for the possibility of a tip. It’s not like an enchanter that has to really put time and money to get a skill-up.

This is not to say you shouldn’t keep the loot if you want, but no excuses. You do it because you can. You just tell players you intend to keep locked chests, just like I’ve seen tanks asking for money to tank. Players are then equally free to take somebody else when they do not accept those demands.

Also I’d advise you to announce your intentions in advance and not force your party to deal with it just to avoid looking for a replacement while already in the dungeon, which would be dishonest considering a majority of rogues do not share your approach and it’d be unexpected for the average player. By simply joining their party without saying anything you’d be implicitly misleading them.

2 Likes

And locks summoning you to the dungeon saving you 15 minutes of traveling? Mages portalling you back to the city, saving another 15? . Tanks with double the repair cost (easily) than yours or anyone in the party? Druid spending their regs and cooldown on your battlerez when you accidentally stole aggro again?

Everyone has their perks and downsides. In a group its about adding value to that group with your class utility and function. So if you think having lockpicking makes you a special snowflake with a skill that is only occasionally being useful to the group, well, good for you. I think its greedy and a lousy mindset.

4 Likes

And skeleton keys are made by blacksmiths and cost money, and blasting charges are made by engineers and also cost money. What’s your point?

Again, if it wasn’t for the group, you never would’ve reached that chest. Stop acting like it belongs to you - it simply does not. In all my 15 years in WoW, half of which as rogue, I’ve never laid claim on a locked chest or rolled Need on a lockbox.

1 Like

The hours that mage has put into leveling their portal skill and the lock into their summoning skill so that they can be the level needed for the dungeon… oh wait they are a 1 click learn.

AGAIN if you want to open chests so bad go a profession that can open them instead of complaining that someone who put the time can take something you were to lazy to do because you expect other that have put the effort in to do it for you.

Some of you people act as if the entire dungeon is about this single locked chest and nothing else, the rogue is not taking an entire dungeons worth of loot here (or the BS/engineer). You are still doing the rest of the dungeon to get your gear drops or exp, the rogue is still doing damage just like the other DPS.

1 Like

So why do you want the chest for yourself then, if it is so insignificant?

The investment by BS/Engi for a locked chest or a lockbox is money. The investment by a rogue is time (~=money). In much the same way a BS/Engi wouldn’t have prio on the chest, a rogue does not have prio on it.

And again, for the n-th time - if it wasn’t for the group, you never would’ve reached that chest, so even beginning to claim it’s yours is stupid and faulty.

The one unique utility that a rogue brings to a group is lockpicking - an independent class-specific skill that allows the group to obtain more loot - and you want to twist this utility and claim all of the benefits of it for yourself.

That’s like a warlock saying he will only SS himself because he’s the one doing the SS.

Or a mage asking “why should I open portals when I can just teleport? teleport runes are cheaper than portal runes” or “why should I waste mana making food for someone else? it’s my ability, so I’ll benefit from it”.

Do you see how faulty your special-snowflake logic is now?

Do I believe Rogues should share the loot? Personally, yes - it was a group effort to reach the chest.

Do I believe that my personal belief has any bearing on what Rogues need to do?
No, TECHNICALLY… its a profession whether I like it not, and just like mining, herbing etc, its up to anyone who is able to open the chest to decide among themselves… only one person in the group can do it? then they get to choose if they take it for themselves or share - but the majority ive seen are nice enough to share.

You wouldn’t expect a miner to let every non-miner roll for the matts from each node in a dungeon would you?

1 Like

A mage’s portal training cost money. 1.50 to 3.50 gold per city they train. And each portal they open every single time cost a rune worth 20 silver.

The Warlock has to sacrifice backspace for his entire WoW life to keep Soulstones. Guess what they use for summoning you? Yeah, soulstones.

The tanks repair bills for taking all the hits instead of you cost him money each run.

There’s probably plenty more examples, but you will probably get the idea. You having lockpicking does not make you entitled to rewards over others you cooperate with in dungeons.

2 Likes

I would term it more as a skill than a profession, it’s certainly something they have to level.

Judging by his reply, I don’t think he will, even with such excellent wording.

People are so uncreative.

Just say:“Agh! Don’t have the skill needed for it, sorry!”, then proceed with the dungeon as normal until everyone leaves and hearthes, then stealth through and take the chest for yourself.

1 Like