Role playing questions

I have a few questions if you don’t mind.

1. Is it ok to Roleplay a member of the Windrunner family. I’m not talking about something stupid like being the brother of Sylvanas, but more of like a distant cousin at the very least. I mean…. It is possible right?

2. Can worgen use the Holy light? I’m Roleplay a Priestess so please do let me know.

3. What does violet eyes represent in Thalassian culture? Both Blood elves and Void elves have it. But what do they represent really? Is it shadow or arcane?

3 Likes

It’s usually by alot of people(though not everyone) pretty frowned upon to roleplay as a relative or connected to the main/lore characters. That said though, no one can stop you if you want and there is no direct rule about it. Some people might frown a bit/not appriciate it, but others might also just shrug it off and go with it.

They can. The curse doesn’t affect light-magic.

Not sure here, I’m a bit weaker on Thalassian lore so someone else can explain and elaborate on it! :smiley: I’m not sure if it has any specific meaning.

Good luck in roleplay!

2 Likes

I was not planning on Roleplay to be related to them, but simply share the same family name.

Unfortunately, this will open up discussions about how I’m related to the three sisters. In which case I have to answer something.

Thank you!

1 Like

I think with something like this, it would be a matter of opinion then. I can see people both being alright with it & not, as surnames in general can be commonly shared by different people without a close relation.

That said though, it’s worth keeping in mind atleast that as far as we know at the moment/in lore, the Windrunner family/surname is fairly small. Of course there can be headcanon to expand it further, but as it is just looking at it from the information available, there is only a handful(about like 8) people in the Windrunner family name, and they seem to be pretty close ended.

I would heavily advice against it because to make it work in a non lore-messy way you’d be so distantly related that you might as well not be.

Yep!

To the best of my knowledge there’s 0 lore on them. It’s a tool for you to work with as you please.

5 Likes

The violet color that both belves and velves have should represent Arcane (as it´s also common among Dalaran NPCs), while the ones exclusive to velves should be for Void.
At least that´s my interpretation of it.

2 Likes

That’s what I was going for. I planned on saying I never met the sisters (well I mean Sylvanas was Ranger general so I probably met her once at least)

But I’m so distantly related that I don’t really know they exist. As my character lived in Silvermoon city, not Windrunner village. Hence how she survived the Massacre of the Windrunner family. After the Invastion, she lived in Stormwind.

But now that I think about it, it is too confusing. Lol

I might as well make the name more unique, or at least use a name of a random High elf NPC nobody knows about.

2 Likes

Generally I always recommend for anyone to do this.

Come up with your own concepts, your own names, your own character. After all, it’s a creative writing hobby, why not get creative?

4 Likes

I’m pretty sure the blue eyes are supposed to represent Arcane for Thalassians. Unless my lore knowledge is wrong. Maybe they can have both colors and violet is a bit more rare. :thinking:

Truly the patrician way.

OP, In my experience using any sort of relation to a famous npc is typically a crutch employed by new rpers or rpers that don’t really have much interesting about their character. Therefore I would suggest just abandoning the whole Windrunner thing.

Make your own character, come up with their family tree, whatever you come up with is likely to be more interesting than if you tried gluing your character to an established npc.

Besides, would you really want to be related to Windrunners, of all people? :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

My favorite character is Alleria, so yes :sweat_smile:

But yeah I wouldn’t want to be related to Sylvanas or Vereesa now that I think about it. No offense,

Unique name it is then. I can create a unique family tree with it :+1:

1 Like

There is 0 lore on this but a popular headcanon I have seen is that blue eyes represent the frequent use of arcane and purple eyes represent a heavy use of arcane. At the end of the day, I don’t think people will care if you have blue or purple eyes for an arcane user; just use whatever you like more!

1 Like

To my mind this is a bit of a Chekhov’s gun:

“If in the first act you have hung a pistol on the wall, then in the following one it should be fired. Otherwise don’t put it there.”

If the relation to the important and well-known name has no bearing on the roleplay, why pick the important and well-known name at all? In a sense it’s like dragon roleplayers in Stormwind always staying in their human form and only ever doing social roleplay—at that point what’s the purpose of the character being a dragon in the first place

8 Likes

Blue represents arcane, as close as anything. Purple was added by accident for blood elves after the NPC skin used by female high elves was given really bright purple eyes when the new eyes were added. It was then made part of their customisation 'cause people wanted it.

In the end, the eye colour represents pretty little. Blue, purple? It’s there. Green? You were around fel magic for too long. That’s about it.

Edit: Or you were born to parents that were around fel magic for too long.

1 Like

Usually to be used as an “I win” button once they get into a fight that isn’t going their way.

1 Like

If you like the sound of the name, you can probably make a variation on it! Put the accent on either the Wind or the Running depending what’s important. (Or makes something entirely unrelated.) English is a very permissive language on that.)

Didn’t Valeera’s eyes turn purple after absorbing the (void?) magic of a naga trident?

Also, in the RPG lore (not-canon) the high elves had blue, green, red, purple and brown eyes!

I decided to go with a unique family name. That way I can add all the family members I would like and create a family tree

3 Likes

Some of those are still canon

That’s the best I think as you can shape everyone’s destiny as you would like to. You can still add everyone from the Windrunner’s if your character met with them or was in contact with at any point.

Lodyra is known very well in Thunder Bluff (by my character’s lore), but not related with anyone in particular :thinking: so yeah, easier to form the clay while it’s wet than when it’s dried out :smiley: