🛡 [RP Project] Stormwind Community Lawbook

You’re naive if you think this forum reaches anymore than the people who either already here reading it, or members of GLs who post on it.

Because why? It’s just a policy set on a discord server according to the lawbook.
But how are you dealing then with people whom you don’t want to roleplay? How are you dealing with people who try to force their narrative or ideals on you, that you don’t like? That’s the point. If reserve the right to do whatever you want, if something that you don’t like - goes your way.

They will summon a gold-plated paladin woman to bash in their heads. Only sane approach when you really think about it.

1 Like

Issue one - If I don’t want to interact with them because of this outlandish Law Book, then what? If my guild of petty criminals wants to interact with guards but not on these terms, are we left with no guards at all then? Currently, as far as i’m aware, aside from guildless guard RPers, the KFM are the only active guard guild.

That’s a very valid issue, and a concern that I can understand. Here’s the thing though: The law book exists whether it’s public or not. If you don’t want to interact with them on those terms? Great, that’s what this project is for, for you to weigh in with your own opinion.

But… it is? There will be RPers who WILL force this on people - unwittingly or otherwise.

There are always people who try to force things on others. My advice remains the same: Do not engage with them, do not let them force something on you.

“If you don’t decide to bring your RP the only active, substancial Guard Guild” - which by the way doesn’t work because other RPers will often fetch the most well known guard guild to any crime they come across after a while. Then what?

That doesn’t sound like an issue with the law book, but instead like an issue with there not being another guard guild. Which I agree is sad.

It’s an argument for or against it. I lean toward against because you’re asking people WHO DON’T READ THE FORUMS to accept something THEY MIGHT NOT BE AWARE EVEN EXISTS.
Creating something to fill a void that wasn’t there to begin with doesn’t really make for a good argument.

I can read just fine without the caps, I don’t feel they’re necessary. But again, the law book exists either way. Whether there is a post here or not. Whether it’s open for others or not. It sounds like you just disagree with guards having any rules at all.

But I am told that if I don’t like it, to ignore it. Can you not see the issues this is now creating?
A division is already being created.

That division is not being created by this being a community project. That is an inherent issue with any and all guard guilds, because guard guilds have internal rules they follow.

The big question is what happens to those who don’t want to follow it.
Will they be put on ignore, eventually? The thing is that lawbooks need a certain amount of “legitimacy” to function. And what happens when the legitimacy of the guild itself is being questioned? Are you prepared to give up your lawbook and your IC positions if the roleplay turns against you? Or will you strive to remain in function?
In short, are you prepared to lose? Or will you use OOC measures to avoid this?

I’m just going to have to respond to this by saying that I’m the wrong person to ask. I’m not a guard roleplayer. There is no winning or losing in this for me. But I would suggest that yes, if the criminal roleplayer prefers another course of action that does not fall within the guidelines set out in the law book… Then you simply follow that course of action. Again, just because these rules exist for the guards, does not mean that they are binding to anyone else. And as long as just one person in the interaction does not wish to use them, then they won’t be used. That’s what opt-in means.

Also, sorry, forum noob, no idea how to properly quote, so this’ll have to do for now.

This also been answered already. If they don’t want to follow this lawbook, they can just state so. And it is fine, because no one forces them. King’s Footmen (in this particular case) then will just say “Okay, the court will deal with you” and that’s it. They will leave your character in front of the keep and walk away. You will not be ignored but you also will be given an opportunity to decide for your character as you should. And if someone asks, either you or the guards: “Oh my, why this person is walking around! Bad guards!” or “How did you get out?!” both parties can just blame some random NPC at the court. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Not by putting them on ignore, I can tell you that much. I find an IC excuse to be away from their RP and then I don’t involve myself with them further; if needed, I politely contact them OOC and say i’m not interested in what they offer in terms of their Roleplay and ask that we don’t interact where it can be avoided.

I reserve ignore for the worse offenders, OOCers and other disruptive people

1 Like

This law book is sounding as creditable as an NFT right now.

1 Like

Exactly that it isnt being forced on anyone, so no need for people to get all agitated

1 Like

I find an IC excuse to be away from their RP and then I don’t involve myself with them further; if needed, I politely contact them OOC and say i’m not interested in what they offer in terms of their Roleplay and ask that we don’t interact where it can be avoided.

You’ll be glad to hear then that the law book actually has an IC excuse already written into it, and that this is the exact course of action that I follow as well.

Then you can do just that! In my post above yours, I just explained in TKF scenario what happens if you (for example) don’t like or want to have anything with the lawbook but suddenly TKF guards show up with it. I hope it helps !

Why “opt out” instead of “opt in” though?

1 Like

Then just like with NFTs, don’t partake in it. I don’t see the problem here.

1 Like

It is opt in, that’s why they would give you a list of potential consequences and if you disagree with them you can defer to an NPC judge and then decide what fate the NPC gives you. I.E. an IC reason for you to walk free without taking part in RP you disagree with.

1 Like

Fair enough. I hope you stick to that approach, then. Because people seeking IC or OOC power over other roleplayers for the glory of themselves have never done anything good for the RP community.

7 Likes

Because people seeking IC or OOC power over other roleplayers for the glory of themselves have never done anything good for the RP community.

I wholeheartedly agree. It’s one of the reasons why this is open to the community, and not just in the hands of one individual or guild, as far as I know.

2 Likes

That’s… still opting out though, simply with the procedure being streamlined in advance.

There is simply no method that this would work. If you have people ignore it, you’ll just have a mass of people ignoring things, or responding to things, because “Just ignore it”.

That’s… still opting out though, simply with the procedure being streamlined in advance.

I see your point, and in a way, it’s true. However, the opt-in would in that case be just doing criminal RP. Whether there is a community rulebook or not, the moment you do criminal RP, you opt in to the eventual interaction with guard roleplayers, in a sense.

There is simply no method that this would work. If you have people ignore it, you’ll just have a mass of people ignoring things, or responding to things, because “Just ignore it”.

This feels less like an argument against the community law book, and more like an argument against guards having guide lines in general.

Is this not what is already happening, even without a community law book? People ignore certain guards because they are affiliated with X guild or Y guild. Same with any other guild, I know I personally choose to not partake in RP with certain guilds because I choose to do so, it’s the same thing and not an issue with the lawbook it self, but with, ya know, people liking things and disliking other things.

The difference here is that it is being worked at by the community that is interested in partaking and those that are interested in the concept. OOC we are all equal and on the same page while understanding that IC we are not, the lawbook is not only there to set down a list of rules and playguides to which those who opt-in adhere to, but it also serves to level the playing field so that we all in the end get some nice and proper roleplay while not having to fear any odd curveballs because “x side thinks y is appropriate”.