Closed closed closed closed closed

Scamming is already an actionable offense. No need to change the ToS for that. The reason these transactions are not supported (thus a refund is not possible) is because Blizz does not offer an ingame mechanism to support these (gold for a boost).

To make it happen what you want we also need a technical ingame system to handle these boosts, not gonna happen.

So it will remain unsupported but still bannable/actionable.

To be honest I whould rather change ToS to not allow boosting for gold, since it’s a ingame currency which can be bought with real :euro: :euro: :euro: :euro:. I mean they sort of breach their own ToS already
 since they treat;

(iii) performing in-game services including, without limitation, account boosting or power-leveling, in exchange for payment;

As a EULA breach

Whouldn’t it then be breaches of ToS, to pay them gold which where bought trought the token system and then traded to a boost raid/group? I’m no legal expert by any means, but i still find it so strange. The only reason why they acctually dodge this are trought the term “blizzard balance” which is just a weak way to say “F-you” game
 :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Problem is, you gave your money to someone on trust that they would then provide a service. That someone wasn’t Blizzard - and Blizzard have no real reason to take steps to refund you. There were no game exploits involved, no bugs, no flaws in the software - just a lie from one human to another.

Which doesn’t make the conman any less of a ****. It’s disgusting behaviour, and it actually risks the entire boosting market. If scams become a regular thing, boosting ends because nobody will pay. If people want to sell boosts, they have to be legit or the whole market goes away.

1 Like

Only because boosts are existent does not mean you need to boost the boosters even more by boosting the tos with boost rules to allow even more boosting. Also it would boost the number of tickets by boost customers who got scammed by boosters, while blizzard is trying to boost their profit by deboosting workers so its kinda against blizzards agenda now anyway.

You can’t punish someone for not doing something virtual for virtual currency.

Blizzard would take a long time to trace the gold to all the people and recover it, it could go through 3-4 people and the AH before they find who has it. Do you remove it from someone who got it from selling an item a fraudster bought? Better to ban the selling of runs for gold and real money than police it.

Paying it all up front is a naive thing to do, kind of like trusting someone in a game to honour an agreement.

Serves you right not really sorry you lost your money you trusted a word of mouth contract and the other party took that money and ran. Oh and who in their right mind pays multi million sums of gold for boosts which clearly are not protected or encouraged by Blizzard. No sympathy here. Maybe your just have to earn it back the hard way or use tokens and sell them. :violin:

1 Like

You raise a good point. I’ve been concerned since the start that people are potentially buying multiple tokens to pay for a boost (often just 1 boost!) which then pays for the subscriptions of the boosters.

Technically Blizzard win, since tokens cost more than a regular sub, but if they’re going to let it slide then the ToS has to be clarified.

As it stands, GMs should be actively moderating chat to not only remove boosting messages, but suspend the people posting them. In the case of trials, chase down their IP address, work out which real account is associated, and suspend that too. They known darn well what’s going on.

This is probably the biggest thing. Assuming you’re doing a mythic raid, split the payments. Per boss if you want: 10% up front, 10% per kill, and the remainder at the end. Requires some faith on both sides and if either party bails early, there has still been some exchange.

IP address? Sorry you know that people’s home connections are dynamic and it changes every so often and that it is extremely rare for anyone to use a static address these days and most ISP’s are not too happy to support them either and it puts your computer and internet connection’s security at risk.

People in this thread seriously blaming the victim of a scam
 smh :frowning:

Tbf I always found it odd that in a game like this, famous for hand-holding, in wich now theres even a automated silence feature for whatever enough people deem reportable, and with the unsupported yet clearly condoned boosting transactions, there isnt a strong policy on scamming.

2 Likes

Search “what is my IP” some time.

Dunno about you but mine very rarely changes. Technically the ISP is not bound to keep you on the same address, but practically you often are unless your router changes.

Also we’re talking short term. Check IP address of boost advertiser. Check which real account most recently logged in from that address. If it’s within an hour, very high chance that’s your boy - and now you can suspend their account. The IP is just a pointer to the actual player behind the advert. You’ll get the odd false positive, but the chances of getting a wrong IP that also has a WoW account is quite slim.

What a thread :popcorn:
Do be civilised though :slightly_smiling_face:

Your IP address may only change if you turn your router off, and it may assign you the very same one if it’s the first in the list that’s available. If you really want to change your IP address, you turn your router off for quite a few hours.

You work in IT? If public information puts you at risk, you do something very very very wrong.

Those IPs are so dynamic, if your router/modem doesn’t shut off for an hour or more you’re very likely to keep the same IP. I have had the same for multiple years.

Well most boost runs I accidently filter trought ask for a Token’s worth of gold for a +10 Boost. Which means someone indirectly pay the boosters €20, for normally easy content(for most players).

I mean each Token bought are basicly 175k more gold shoveled into a often already bloated economy which in turn makes everything more expensive due to inflation. I mean even if noone bought the tokens, gold will always end up in the buyers pocket.

I whould sort of be fine with the token economy if it wasn’t for the scammed people and rapid inflation
 Yes paying 175k~ gold for a +10 are a scam even if the service are delivered. The content ain’t worth that amount.

Our guild just gave some random girl(or well i think it was a friend, that didn’t do much) 5/9 mythic BoD since up to that point it’s easy enought even for scrubs like us to basicly 19 man it. So if people whould sell one mythic boss for about a milion gold It’s just pure scamming and whould be about; €100-120, in token expenses per boss. 4 milion gold are afterall worth a bit more then €480 or €312 Bnet Balance. That’s alot

I turn my router off over night when sleeping and leave it off most of the day as well save when using PC on line. There maybe security in place on connections but I personally do not trust ISP’s that much now because they often say one thing do another behind the consumers back and given how the government in the UK is trying cloak and dagger moves to censor the internet who would trust a ISP on formerly government run telephone system that is controlled by BT who in turn refuse to let other carriers run fibre cable on their infrastructure all adds up.

Afaik if there were terms set, and one party didn’t oblige you can definitely get a refund.

If you have a written proof of If you boosted me I’ll give you 4m gold, a GM will prolly give you your money back and issue the scammers /warning / ban / whatever.

Open up a ticket and ask around, I’m pretty sure a GM can help you, try live chat they usually are very helpful and responsive.

Thats a lot of gold for a pair of boots :f

If I’m not mistaken Blizzard can take action by removing the gold from the Boost seller, but they can’t (or won’t) return the gold to the player.

In short some of the answers have been provided already
don’t give someone 4 million gold upfront for a boost
come to an agreement of X% per boss downed or something and payable once the boss is down before moving on.

I have no sympathy for you here and many won’t, you won’t get much support for this change.

Only experienced this happen the other way around. Customer didnt pay the gold for a run. In a ticket it was then clearly explained that no actions will be taken, but i could swear i heard several stories that scammers got at least banned and the gold removed. I mean it doesnt return you anything but at least the person gets at least nothing else than a ban, if that information i got is correct.