Shadowlands dead on arrival?

I thought it was that we get to leave the maw that made us special

so the entire cornerstone system of the expansion and something we will spend weeks grinding for would not even be useful in the end game content we are playing the game for, do you even understand how this game works?

the way i see it there is 2 options, they either leave it as it is now on beta and never make any balance changes, or they just free up the class abilities so that we can swap between them and give people the option to play the game the way they want to

as i have stated repeatedly i have no intention of changing covenants all the time, i just think that the player power should not be locked behind something that refusing us the chance to change should we want to, even just for fun. i would love to be able to spec into the night fae/kyrian abilities to play around with them in torghast, but im just being told im not allowed to

in a way in which there are many end game styles.
Just because its not worth the grind for yours doesn’t make it useless.

People should just pick the covenant they like the look because of theme/mount ect.

It’s not going to matter for the majority of the player base and they can just pick what they like. Even though they will just read online guides and pick the one the guide tells them, but then it’s their own fault they are stuck with a covenant they may not want in the future after buffs/nerfs because they should have picked for aesthetics and rewards instead of trying to get the best DPS they likely won’t even need for the content they do.

2 Likes

That’s not going to be the case for everyone though, are you a mount collector? 4 Classes easy peasy, but are you a transmog collector… ooof 16 classes to lvl

Why don’t they just revamp the talent tree, make it similar to artifact system and stop adding these complex systems that will go away and then return as something ‘else’ in next expansion?
At least with revamped talent system you don’t have to grind AP, be unable to change at will, etc.
Covenants should purely be a cosmetic choice.
IMO Covenants should change color of your abilities, give some cosmetic rewards etc.

too many players playing normal raids and mthic +4 think they need the meta to play the game well.
Of course thats just not true. But try getting into a pug without it.
People are strange.

Or perhaps they just balanced Nzoth around having done another clear and have a better gear than the heroic ilvl they had during the world first race ?

They didn’t need this BOE gear to clear the raid. It sped things up but claiming that the raid was balanced around that is ridiculous.

Another clear would’ve rewarded them with more upgrades and corrupted gear than the few BOE they got for millions of gold on the AH. Especially with all the farm runs they do, they could’ve easily geared up their mains despite personal loot. Big part of the gold went into leveling professions just to bypass personal loot in the first place.

1 Like

but why do you need 16 armor sets? Level up your favorite ones and be done.
If you want to collect EVERYTHING you are bringing this on yourself.
Don’t complain if it’s grindy, it was your decision in the first place. Don’t want to waste time on archeaology? Then don’t attempt things like Draenor Curator. They’re designed to waste lots of your time.

As long as the core systems aren’t TOO grindy i’ll be fine. BFA has too many of them to catch up. Catching up on one system (e.g. gear, legendary quest etc.) is fine, but catching up on five different ones is kinda killing any willingness to play alts.

If i only needed to worry about corruptions then i’d lvl up an alt and play. But when i have to grind 10 000 echoes for essences, 15 ranks of cloak, do god knows how many assaults and then visions, catch up on cloak resist (also using echoes) and THEN also corruptions? **** off with that, i’ll just play my main thank you.

Maybe because they look good and in future expansions the covenent restrictions would be lifted just like artifact appearances will be, so you shame another player because they like to collect armour appearances shame on you.

Picking an additional ability that confers a buff and being locked from the others is not equivalent to a power penalty in the same way picking a haste trinket instead of a mastery one as a reward from a one time quest isn’t a nerf to your mastery, it’s a buff to your haste.

If we’re framing the discussion in the language of hypothetical situations we may as well call all DPS classes below the top 3 “power penalties” because hypothetically the player could have chosen a different top 3 class but didn’t.

If picking a class is agreeable as a way to curtail what you can and cannot do why is this no different? Because fun?
If I pick a class that ends up having “less fun” due to how balance plays out for example I’m an unlucky DPS that doesn’t have unlimited AOE cap, I can’t swap to a different class, I have to reroll if I want to optimise.

I mean people moan about how classes “aren’t fun” or whatever in X content as compared with Y class, and the forums generally go “so reroll”. But if a choice in covenant means you have “less fun being optimal” in content X but not Y, this isn’t an acceptable answer because? Why is it so different? Why is it taken for granted that a class probably won’t be fun to play in everything because that’s just the nature of the choice, you have to decide, prioritise, but it’s expected a Covenant cannot follow the same guidelines?

Because it’s a power system? Aren’t classes the basest form of power systems in the game? I don’t get how it applies to one and not the other. I’m genuinely asking here, not being snark, why does it have to follow a different philosophy?

The only reason I can see and agree with is the choice packs too much together, mogs, vanities etc. However all that suggests to me is that the vainities should be permanent when unlocked (ie you have the mog forever) not that you can change covenants and back willy nilly. Then again, it’s similar for classes. A class is more than performance, it’s stuff like races, mogs etc. I can’t, for example get to enjoy my badass plate mogs if I want to DPS as a mage. It’s just another choice I have to factor in.

3 Likes

We are a living creature in the place of the dead. We didn’t die to get there.

1 Like

yeah but didn’t everyone else get stuck there who went in before and with us?

The conduits are basically the lovechild of glyphs and corruptions.

Literally any video game that is not Warhammer is DOA.

Except Cyberpunk 2077 maybe.

1 Like

ask literally anyone that takes place or has any udnerstanding of how this is done based on their own experiences taking part, the only time in recent memory they messed it up was the first raid of legion, they didnt expect people to farm quite as much as they did and they undertuned everything and the raid finished in 18 hours, now they tune everything a little bit harder and allow players to go agaisnt difficult content,

but yes i can say that considering the idea is to clear things as quick as possible whilst the raid still being a challenge, that they did absolutely require the BoE gear for the way the raid was tuned,

thats assuming it ever arrives.

1 Like

I’m not sure what you are trying to say but I responded to someone stating we were dead on arrival. We are not. We are ‘The Maw Walker’, we are not dead.

1 Like

I suppose so.
But I was more replying to the part about it making us special.

I guess I see it as although not dying to get there is strange, most people that get there, even if alive still follow the rules.
Our characters don’t which is the special part.

History is definitely not on their side. At this stage its mostly polish, the systems are pretty much set for the expansion or at least until the first major patch.

I just don’t care about more bs rented power systems, preferring the simpler but far more absorbing game of times past.

2 Likes