Shadowlands neutral characters

When the manifestation of said love is presented forcibly as one major plot point (?!) in a fantasy setting while surrounded by all sorts of pressing issues. Including the possible end of the world.

Also, specially when it’s shown in such cringy and clingy way.

There are several ways to represent romance. Going for the corny, hormonal, and moody “teenage love”, often ends up being seen downright laughable.

No wonder most leaders end up single. These writers seem unable to show how an actual couple works without over the top displays that make it all seem ridiculous.

1 Like

Sorry but I disagree, If your family member was about to get murdered, you would scream,cry,whine, and panic. It is a normal reaction, societal norms are the problem because they paint people with feelings and emotions as wrong,’‘cringy’’, or even weak.

Perhaps the very fact that Malfurion is the most capable person to fight such a pressing issue (Emerald Night mare) would make sense, however the presentation of it was bad I agree.

As for the topic!
I too wonder if we’ll see Saurfang in the Maw, I’ve grown to dislike this character over the course of BFA, however I personnaly don’t need to see him suffer an eternity for his mistakes, he also did allot of good for the Horde and deserves his peace in the Afterlife.

Other characters, aside Cairne and Saurfang, I’d hope to see(depending on how they’re portrayed I suppose…same for the former) are Huln Highmountain and Mayla’s father Ulan Highmountain, while they may not have been Horde aligned, they are associated now through the High Mountain tauren.

Other names, King Rastakhan, though I think he’s a strong possibility considering Bwonsamdi too has a role to play in the Shadowlands.
Vol’jin, to show us he’s still with us, watching over his people from beyond the veil.
Rezan, ofcourse Rezan, I hope we get to restore this mighty Loa to the place he belongs, let him be reborn to guide the Zandalari once more.

Durotan and Orgrim Doomhammer, the orcs could use a good boost, and ofcourse our real, MU Grommash Hellscream, I do wonder where he ended up.
How about Great mother Geyah, someone needs to give Thrall a firm talking to and a good kick in the rear.

Perhaps, Kings Terenas and Anasterian aswell, just naming some cool possibilities, for the Forsaken and the Blood Elves, Anasterian goes without saying. In Terenas’ s case, we know many of the Forsaken, if not most of them, were once citizens of fallen Lordaeron, and they once loved their king, as he protected them from the Orcish Horde in the second war, and the memorial plaque on his grave in now destroyed Undercity.

I do wonder if Uther the Lightbringer has any special interaction with Forsaken players, as a champion of the Silver Hand, the regret over not being able to protect them might still weigh on him.

Though, I do doubt any of it comes to pass, I hate to sound negative all the time, but Blizzard’s writing M.O. so far seems to go with simple and non to cohesive.

2 Likes

I am sure, there is soul of old good Ranger General S. Windrunner.

you know, I actually thought about mentioning that, I decided not to because It would imply a more intricate plot and allot of people will start foaming at anything that may lead to some sort of redemption for Sylvanas Windrunner, wether she dies or not.

2 Likes

And yet those same Horde players are all for gloating and shouting “For the horde” early on in the expansion when they are destroying Alliance capitals, curbstomping alliance races etc BUT when it comes to accountability in Lore and in game those same people become outraged.
It suddenly becomes “Alliance bias” “Blizzard agenda” and “horrible writing” etc That same writing that numerous horde posters have defended for the majority of the expansion when it was tilted in their favour.
As ever with the Horde fanbase and playerbase, the Hypocrisy is staggering :man_shrugging::man_facepalming:

2 Likes

You mean that there were players that felt engaged and wanted to enjoy a war story Blizzard hyped all over the media, but ended up having said story turn into a guilt/villain trip tailored around making them feel bad for being caught in the same hype Blizzard fostered? And this was something those players didn’t like? Shocking…

And yeah, the above is assuming that Horde players are some hivemind that had them all rejoicing in the faction war…

3 Likes

Or maaaybe the people who are bemoaning the story we were saddled with aren’t necessarily the ones who thumped their chests when we burned down Teldrassil.

I certainly am not. The entire War of Thorns was the first time that I felt genuine shame in this game. Shame. It was a terrible feeling to experience when one of the selling points of this expansion was the notion and importance of faction pride and these two years have given me very little of that.

So please be aware of that. Not all of us were on board with this and yet all of us will now have to live with the consequences of this story. You guys may have lost a city but we lost several characters, fan favorites among them, to this mess.

4 Likes

During Cataclysm, Elemental Bonds was widely hated, as was the rest of the “GOOOOO’EEEEEl!” stuff with Aggra. There were plenty of Alliance players on the forums who hated the idea of having to party with Thrall at Hyjal, all the while the Horde is invading Night Elf lands and conquering the world. Then having to go through a tedious questline, where a Night Elf character got sick of Malfurion’s neutrality, and Fandral instead of trying to get revenge on his nemesis Malfurion who was right there, he went for Thrall and split him into four Go’els.

Then you had to go on a long and tedious quest chain with Aggra to resolve Thrall’s emotional issues and glue him back together, all the while Aggra kept screaming about her beloved Go’el suffering and the Red Angry Go’el kept screaming about how he should raze Stormwind to the ground. And then have the whole questline end with Thrall proposing to Aggra. The ending of cataclysm, where Aggra was revealed to be pregnant with Thrall’s son completed the cornyness.

There were plenty of Horde who didn’t like it too, unsurprisingly. It was that expansion that turned Thrall from an universally beloved leader and a Horde icon into a character people were really sick of. Kinda like what BfA did with Saurfang.

If anything, Tyrande and Malfurion from Val’Sharah is minor compared to that. Atleast it was a leveling zone quest-line and Tyrande shows only two thirds into the story, not a questline entirely dedicated to their relationship from the very start that is alose one third of a major raid patch with a great pre-raid cloak as a reward. Even the hate for it dwarfs the one Elemental Bonds questline got.

Also, while I was not a fan of that Tyrande questline and it makes no sense for Horde, people often complain that Malfurion begging Tyrande to save him is annoying and bad writting. That is actually Xavius pretending to be him and taunting Tyrande. The stupid part is that Tyrande seems to fall for it and actually believe it’s him.

It also shows you that this kind of thing was there all along. If anything, I expect Anduin and his future love interest to be the next in line for a terrible questline.

Yeah, that one of the problems with Elemental Bonds too. There is a war going on and a literal apocalypse taking place, yet it’s all about Thrall’s feelings and Aggra’s love for him.

2 Likes

But i dont remember age of peac in warcraft. They must write it during war.

The have 500 novels, comic books and whatever else set in the Warcraft universe. If this story had to be told, it should have been there.

Nah, they better not show Huln up, honestly. Huln was a legendary figure, and the last thing I want is for Blizz to screw him up like they did with Cairne “BaLaNcE, mY sOn” Bloodhoof.

4 Likes

not only will he show up Uruk he will scold mayla for siding with the horde and disgracing their pact with Cenarius then she will take the walk of shame of the edge of thunder totem leaving baine to lead all the tribes by this act baine too will get antlers :stuck_out_tongue:

Good point!

erhm…
Most horde players on these forums were over-all disappointed with the burning of Teldrassil, to the degree that we had to dig up in a good war, Sylvanas supposed thought process and the tactical value of the burning after Blizzard obviously guessed on day one of Blizzcon that Sylvanas would do it.

People went for the Horde!
Because we are not the Alliance, we are the Horde.
Many clawed manically for Blizzard to understand this.
-We play the Horde because we are not the Alliance.

I mean I’m still curious from Steve Denauser what Lesson it was the Horde had to learn in another forced aggressor role, where they weren’t actually the aggressors but the Alliance were, while the Horde simply escalated a conflict started by the Alliance.

But then again I’m Curious how this could be the 4th War.
I thought mists of Pandaria was the 4th war?
(the first time the Alliance won)

I honestly have not been able to take Steve serious for a moment, since he spoke about lore in BFA.
and it has not changed in his answers to Shadowlands lore.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.