Shaman tank

Hi,

there is a dramatic need for tanks in the game. There’s merely handful of them and queues are long and boring.

It would be great if shamans could be tanks. They would be called Earthwardens (thanks to Alempa for the name) - shamanistic warriors using mostly earth and lava spells to smash enemies, increase their armor and survavibility. Earthwardens would use two handed maces and axes to shatter the earth around them (as shamans have no real use for 2h maces and axes but can use them anyway) and toss boulders as a single target skill as well as on enemies who are beyond melee range. They could do lava swipes to the enemies in frontal cone and electrocute targets to decrease their damage done.

Think of how much earth warrior fits the shaman class fantasy. It would definitely help reduce queue time and people frustration.

12 Likes

Adding more tank specs/classes won’t help for the tank shortage if people don’t like tanking for various reasons the first reason is other people in dungeons and that is one thing you cant change.

As long people act how they act in dungeons you could ad 100 tank specs in to the game and people still would not want to tank.

4 Likes

That’s not entirely true. I like to tank. I loved it on pre-legion DK but after they simplified him, it became unbearable. Then I tanked on monk because it was challenging but I don’t enjoy both windwalker and mistweaver. On warrior it’s the same, I only like protection. I also tanked on the last remaining classes: DH, pala and druid. All these classes beside tanking are boring. But I enjoy resto and enhancement on shaman - that’s two. If they added tanking spec, I would never switch back to any other classes and they may be people who feels the same way.

Besisdes, it doesn’t hurt you if they made another tanking class. And if you are worried about the resources they would have to use, then it’s better use of their resaources than coming up with another idea to artificially keep players in game longer (like removal of portals).

2 Likes

I love my shaman, I don’t play alts. I’m a one character type person, if Raz had the option to tank I would love it!

3 Likes

Yes people who like to tank would still tank but the general hostility from other people in dungeons would still be the main thing why most people have no interest at all for tank role.

When i started wow long time ago i tried tanking and healing and after awhile listening the moaning and being a spit jar to people who have no social skills or anything that resembles normal human decency i just went to dps and never looked back. And that was before LFD/LFR i cant even imagine tanking or healing with current day wow.

1 Like

I think people who tank, just don’t like to tank in pugs. I also don’t like to tank pugs, obviously because of the pug attitude of some people. I cba to care what they tell me, but it’s just not fun to me. I play this game for some decent relax time, sure things can be a bit stressful at points, and I do like that as well, I don’t like easy content, but I don’t need that BS as well.

That being said, I wouldn’t mind a shaman tank.

I do think most tanks just play with their mates, guildies etc.

The tank shortage comes from many things. The main one comes from people who treat tanks so bad in the raid or group. If people stop being toxic to the tanks they would queue more for a tank than dps.

If you play tank as a main character you would understand our feeling when people start to be toxic to us

Would be pretty neat to be honest. There’s a lot of potential there as earth is universally known as this “defence” element, with its ability to keep one upright by grounding them, and shielding its wielder with its immense durability.
Could definitely work for a shaman. Let’s just delete enhancement seems it sucks balls and it’s quite obvious Blizzard aren’t going to make it a competitive spec anytime soon, and then we can replace it with a tank.

2 Likes

Just make Enh Shaman a tank spec

1 Like

no thx I like enhance, rather make it better

2 Likes

Nahhh dont do enhance like that, I like the fantasy of a melee shaman

1 Like

The elements are. Earth, wind, fire and water.

Elemental: Fire
Enhance: Wind
Resto: Water
???: Earth

New spec: Earth Warden: Earth.
Uses the power of earth to absorb damage.

10 Likes

We have air for enhance (melee dps), fire for elemental (range dps), water for restro (healing) so why not earth for tank. Am i right? Aha

Going off the colour elements of the class mount we summon lol

2 Likes

Imo its because as a tank you have to know mechanics etc. Its big and people are toxic if you messed up. So i dont think that tank numbers will be much better but it would be nice to see new specs next expac…tank shaman, ranged dps dh, warlock healer.

This isn’t a bad idea to be honest. Druids have 4 specs, so it’s not unreasonable to want a tanking spec for Shaman. It won’t fix the general unease of playing a tank in a queue or in a PuG, but I do believe that there would be more tanks in general if another class were to have a tank option, and your idea for Shaman tank sounds really cool to me.

2 Likes

And how it’s been said by someone else: shaman already has 3 elements symbolizing his specs - air, fire and water. As a master of elements he should have earth as well and it’s defnsive element so everything matches.

1 Like

Im make the same topic years by years, maybe one day blizz realize we shamans want a tank spec since 2006ish.

Back in the tcb era we many times used to be offtanks with shileds and frost shock, and even had a taunt totem called stoneclaw.

Also, dont forget mail weavers have no tank spec in the game so it an another reason shamans get a 4th spec.

I made a petition to sign so devs can think about it. If we can get meaningful number of people to sign it, maybe then we have a chance.

secure,avaaz,org/en/community_petitions/WoW_Community_and_Blizzard_Devs_Shaman_Tank/details/

Just change comas to dots.

Most shamans want a tank spec, the game is in dire need of more tanks, giving shamans another spec would be good for everyone… But nah, Blizz is too busy designing their new €25 store mount and scratching their heads in confusion of why subs keep dropping dramatically.

6 Likes

To be fair, it would be amazing!
But in my opinion shamans can use shields already so if they manage to be in the game i think they will be shield wielders.