Shaming the Horde

Well if you find it funny an high elf/sin’dorei undead or not ruined your nation and wasted your people by involving them at their expand in a conflict they had no quarrel with it is on you…

Even if Vol’jin saved their souls, they still dead and he was played by the one he named his successor, cynism aside for once that is hardly a win/good thing …

Tl/dr : How many times did we told you us humans NEVER TRUST AN ELF ?!

Not really, I blame the Alliance and the Horde equally for mistaking this to be the RP forum.

Sheesh, I thought blue was the colour for chill.

Look typical alliance fanatic talk. If anyone deserves the word scum it is yourself.

1 Like

imagine calling people online names after one insults your fictional love interest. sorry to burst your bubble but sylvanas is not real, and simping for a bunch of rotten flesh and cracked bones doesn’t make you look good either.

1 Like

alliance is not real either yet you keep defending them and their imperialistic antics. I owe you nothing. Alliance sucks and I hope you step on a lego. For the Horde!

1 Like

If this is what helps you cope with your insecurities, that’s pretty sad actually. If you want to rant about lore, stay on lore and don’t drift;) But then again, to argue about lore, you’d have to know something about it, so that sucks for you.

1 Like

What in the world is happening to this place.

I am in the right. You are nothing but a sad little alliance fanatic without substance. Stay off my back zealot.

1 Like

And you’re a cringe horde edgelord who thinks genocides and abuse of innocent lives is something cool in order to cope with your power insecurities in real life.

I mean, I go to therapy with my issues, you instead cope by watching innocents die, we all got our own ways ¯_(ツ)_/¯

1 Like

Depends on which part you mean. The chase was a personal anti-undead thing of Genn and Rodgers. While they were chasing Sylvanas to learn more about why she even was there, in the alliance quest line it is stated that the forsaken attacked first. While the horde sides iirc shows gryphon riders approaching.

If you try to combine the 2 quests (Greymane’s Gambit and The Splintered Fleet), then it seems that the alliance gunship was attacked by the batriders, then you launch a counter attack, and this is the part where Nathanos comes along and fights back the gryphon riders. Or so it seems.

If you mean the final part in Skold-Ashil, then alliance characters already gathered info about her plan to enslave val’kyrs before the epilogue cinematic, which is why he knows about the “quest for immortality”.

gl hf

I’m talking about the questline that starts with both Genn and Anduin having no clue regarding Sylvanas intentions.
The one that had the latter arguing just for vigilance, while the former took it to himself to open fire as soon as the objective came on sight.

Truce be damned.

If that’s not an open declaration regarding how eager a side is to kickstart a war, few things are.

1 Like

Well, I did the quests in Stromheim as I was leveling this exact character. But the thing is, the actuall attack on Sylvanas happened when her intentions were known.

And the attack that started the confrontation does not seem to start because of Genn. Sure, he was there, and it could be considered a provocation. But the actual attack of gryphon riders started after the attack of dreadwing riders.

Which why I ask for clarification and why I do not really get which part do you mean. In the first one (chronologically), the forsaken or whoever is interpreted as the forsaken, makes the first offensive move. In the second case the intentions of Sylvanas were known and clear.

And, of course, I could miss something hence questions.

gl hf

After showcasing they had zero idea regarding what her plans were, while conversing about it and setting the preparations for their departure, we are presented with a black screen that is immediately followed by this cinematic:

Well, yeah. The events unfold in the above mentioned quests (Greymane’s Gambit for the alliance, The Splintered Fleet for the horde).

And the way it goes for the alliance is that grumpy Genn and Rogers are following Sylvanas to observe but not attack unless they would have to (obligatory mention of Genn being sure the opportunity will present itself). And then - the attack of “bat riders” on the battle ship, followed by going to the ships of the forsaken. Then running from them to try to protect the gunship, but that failed.

On the horde side there is the cinematic you mention, then the first act of the player is defending the ships from the gryphon riders. Which can be seen in the alliance quest too. After the attack of bat riders.

So, yeah. Things are complicated. To me it seems that Sylvanas had a “side quest” not mentioned to the most of the horde, including the player (initially). Those bat riders [that were following Sylvanas specifically] could attack Skyfire. And some of canons might indeed shoot past the bat riders and hit next to the forsaken ships. Then the horde story continues.

Maybe something else.

gl hf

And really… does it even matter? Let’s say the Alliance was at fault. Genn and Rogers only had permission to attack if necessary, so they will have given the Alliance some version that justifies the attack, and who is to say differently? The Horde? Yeah, I’m sure they have the video evidence to prove that one. So as far as the Alliance knows, the attack was still justified and provoced by Sylvanas.

And vice versa for the Horde. If Sylvanas started the attack, by sending her bat riders, she would probably still have claimed that Genn was just being a mad dog, and tell Saurfang how he can’t be trusted to keep the peace. So as far as the Horde would know, the Alliance started it. Doubly so, since we are already aware that Sylvanas was in the game of manipulating perceptions to create genocide at that time.

Perception is a relevant reality, and we have to assume that most of the Horde thinks that it was clearly Alliance aggression, and most of the Alliance thinks it was clearly Horde provocation. So if we are talking about factional distrust, events such as this go both ways. And so yeah, the Horde will have percieved the Alliance to go after a head of state during an amistice. They didn’t start the war back then, so no, it wasn’t the act that started the war. Before the Storm makes quite clear that the factions aren’t at war at that point, a year after the Stormheim incident. But it gave the excuse Saurfang needed to ignore the armistice as well.

…and Genn implying that he would make sure they would.

Which was followed by a cinematic that showed how their ship opens fire as soon as it comes within range of the Forsaken fleet.

Nothing related to any additional information.

1 Like

Thing is, this was definitely NOT the case.

The tone set by the previous quests that precede the encounter in Stormheim clearly portray the commanders in charge as eagerly looking forward to pick up a fight with Sylvanas.

Not because of any kind of provocation.
They were told to look out for her…but we are almost literally spelled out their intention to start a fight.

And it’s the sort of mindset that puts to rest any claim about the Alliance (as a whole) “surely not wanting to start trouble with the Horde” (initial point of this derailment).

It’s false. They sure did. At least some of them.
And this case came from two characters that are arguably second only to the High King.

Nothing wrong with it, but it is what it is.

1 Like

And my post was about how it really doesn’t matter if it is. It changes nothing.

Not really, because most things could be considered as PoV in the story IMO. At the same time, I just pull the stories apart and pick interesting bits. That’s kind of what I like in the WoW stories - small side ones, and clues and ideas here and there.

So, to me it is interesting how the story looks when both sides are combined. And when I do it - there is a part that does not fit: dreadwing riders that attack the alliance gunship. Who are they? Who ordered the attack? Why was it placed into the story?

Are any of those things useful? Not too much. But trying to figure out what stories work, what makes them interesting and why - that pokes my interest.

TL;DR: just selfish reasons.

That was a rather irrational part of the story IMO. But I also heard from one of blizz writers that logical actions do not make interesting stories. So… go figure :man_shrugging:

gl hf

Well, that presupposes that there are clues to be found, though. And especially with the game it self I feel it’s much more likely that what you are looking at are just remnants of the game devlopment process. Sure, they could actually have had in mind back then that Sylvanas was having a squadron of bat riders around because she knew there was a chance to goad the Alliance into attacking her, which she could sit on for a year to manipulate the Horde in the future…
Or the Horde scenario could just have been done first, and when the devs did the Alliance scenario they noticed that it was to short and needed an extra phase to be on par with the Horde one.
Or that they really wanted a shooting quest there, because those are fun.
Or that they liked the Genn voice actor so much that they wanted to randomly give him more lines.
Or other stupid stuff like that.

So you’re either giving them an awful lot of benefit of the doubt when you assume that they had it all planned out, and planted it as a hint without hinting at that anywhere else… or you are essentially proposing a retcon to close the plot hole, since they could still claim it was all part of Sylvanas’ plan, even if it was never meant to be one.

And well… I’m certainly not giving them that benefit, and I think that you should avoid circling back to fix plot holes, if the plot holes didn’t really matter for the plot.

1 Like