Sin and AoE

Hello rogues and roguettes,

So I recently switched from Outlaw to Sin, and while I’m loving the ST damage, I have no idea how to get the most out of AoE. This is for dungeons and zones like Nazjatar where you get ambushed by multiple super mutant naga.
I try FoKing them, but I find it does very minimal damage for the cost, and I have huge energy issues on sin compared to outlaw as it is.
Is there an optimal rotation, or set of abilities/talents I should be using for this kind of encounter?

Cheers guys.

Assassins’ main damage is DoT therefore to AoE you need to DoT multiple targets. Using FoK does sort of damage but it is mainly to build CPs and spread poisons on all targets; combos to apply DoT, poisons to increase your energy restoration rate; each poisoned target adds to that rate. Of course you need to have poisons on your weapon!!!

Another thing is when you take Subterfuge talent, you have 3 secs to apply abilities you would need stealth for. It is usually to apply Garrote on 2-3 first targets, which normally is on CD but not when you are on Subterfuge. Each Garrote gives you a CP but if you get Shrouded Suffocation Azerite, this number is increased to 2 CPs. Combined with Subterfuge, you essentially DoT first targets and gain 5 CPs almost instantly.

This is where the fun begins. You should use Rupture and switch a target, then apply FoK, until you have 3-5 CPs and Rupture again, switch target, FoK, and Rupture, and repeat this process on multiple targets.

After doing this, you essentially get multiple targets poisoned and DoTed. Your energy will get restored much faster. That’s how you AoE as assassin!

1 Like

That’s amazing. Thank you for the write up, which I thoroughly understood. I actually had no idea about the garrote CD reset on subterfuge and was wondering how other rogues managed to DoT up entire packs of mobs xD
I appreciate the response, and I’ll be definitely trying this out!

One more thing. Garrote used from Stealth silences your target. With Subterfuge, this is useful for interrupting NPCs or a teamwork in PvP when you get silenced casters and quickly build 5 CPs with Shrouded Suffocation. Then, you can apply 6 secs Kidney Shot with 5 CPS on a healer; very effective :slight_smile:

1 Like

Regarding world content you’re very unlikely going to be running AOE traits so aslong as you maintain dots, you should be ok. Fan of knives is only worth using when its 3+ targets. you use two mutilate on two targets or less.

Rogue is a squishy class so if you’re struggling, its normal. The default set up for assa rogue should be good for World PVE content. Elaborate planning, subterfuge, vigor, cheatdeath, toxic blade, prey on the weak or internal bleeding (your choice) and lastly poison bomb to save more combo points to dump into Envenom instead of an aoe dot.

If you get the opener in said PVE scenario, you want to apply garrote to as many targets as possible. then work on applying rupture, dump envenoms and just try to maintain dots in between.

Regarding dungeons however. There is a crit build and a mastery build if im not mistaken, for the crit set up you need the echoing blades trait which increases the damage done of your fan of knives, this will replace you using mutilate on must pulls in dungeons. Applying dots remains as normal but this emphasizes heavily on your damage coming from fan of knives (ideally you want to three stack this trait for maximum damage, same again for the shrouded suffocation trait if you decide to go the mastery route.).

As said there is a mastery version which involves you speccing into shrouded suffocation it involves alot more micromanagement as you’re focusing mainly on maintaining and spreading dots.

Talents for echoing blades would be something like this - elaborate planning, master assassin, vigor, cheat death, toxic blade, ironwire, poison bomb.

Talents for shrouded suffocaiton - elaborate planning, subterfuge, vigor, cheat death, toxic blade, ironwire, poison bomb.

1 Like

SIt’s much better explained than in my post :slight_smile:

Haha no, both posts were of great help. Your initial one actually made my life easier, so don’t sell yourself short!

1 Like

Also, do not try to apply Rupture and Garrote to EVERYONE. When you open you’ll have 3 Garrotes with Subterfuge followed by one Rupture. Apply another Rupture somewhere and usually it is enough, as long as these bleeds last, to have crazy energy regen allowing you to spam FoK. Then, you need to FoK and envenom someone. You will then gain the envenom buff increasing poison application chance. It applies to FoK. Now you want to FoK into envenom and keep the buff up so that your FoK deals a lot more damage through poisons. Of course reapply bleeds if needed, so if the targets aren’t dead already.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.