So.. what do you think is the point of the mentor channel?

All newbies join by default yet are kicked at level 20

but… till 10, they have er limited learnt spells which are supposed to be well-explained in the Exile’s Reach (which is not neccessary to be completed as a mentor)

then there are 10 lvls of bfa - okey, perhaps the city introduction, beginning of the war campaign and half the way of zone #1

then its gg

and mankrik’s wife is… er where is she lore-wise? xd, not in the bfa isles

thing is, i am not sure how useful would that channel be to the average nb: there are so many more complicated systems like setting up your garrison (i still haven’t finished it lol), or even the artifacts compared to the beginning of bfa

the best question i can think of is where are the mount trainers and since you are more or less phased to SW, well
for the rest, Tae helps us well to get familiar with the city

idk… i would much prefer some help on getting my items in order etc - from time to time i meet ppl in rdf who don’t know much about essences - yes, as late in the exp; or the great mystery called Nazjatar PvP event - asked several times on Trade yet no1 has any idea about it!

these are good questions and tbh i still have no idea for the latter. xd
however… i don’t think we can help much beside noting ppl to use their cc or watch the cds on the action bar - er, they won’t even need to show the additional bars nor use macroes yet ;d

1 Like

Not quite sure how it will work after the starting zone.

But the last time I helped someone, they had just boosted a character and didn’t have much of a clue about things. Spent 20-30 minutes chatting with them, showing them where to go for some quests, giving them some pointers on professions, which ones work well with each other.
I didn’t tell them which professions to pick, that is and always should be up to the player.

And being the great good guy I am, I gave them a couple of weapons (blacksmith) that they could use a bit later on while levelling.

So, it doesn’t need to stop being of use after the early levels. There is always something newer players need or want to know, that we doomed grizzled veterans know about.

And let’s be honest, right now if someone asks in trade or general, they do get a fair amount of “smart” people deliberately pointing them in the wrong direction or it gets lost in the boost spam.

2 Likes

Not that Blizz would - but I’d be really interested to see the numbers of genuine new players joining now.

A poor attempt from Blizz to toss the responsibility of explaining to new players what’s up.

Maybe if instead of constantly referring to wowhead and relying on good will, they add a good tutorial, such kind of program would not exist.

Considering they haven’t even tested it on the PTR to make sure it works… /shrug

Just another half baked idea that we won’t get to test properly until pre-patch. I don’t think they realise that level 20 will be over in a flash for most players, especially those with boosts.

It will probably help a few new people get started, but by the time the game starts throwing more difficult things at you they won’t be able to access the channel anymore.

Should be active at the very least until level 50 - that’s when the rotations and talents are mostly complete. I’d argue it actually needs to be active for longer beyond just hitting 60, but I’m guessing that Blizzard doesn’t want people kicking out new players from endgame content since they have an icon telling people they’re new.

In Shadowlands, after BFA, hehe. People will leave as soon as they will realize what is this game is, so they do not even need to learn anything really.

That’s like your opinion buddy.

I am not your buddy, my lovely LFD sister.
Just to think, what new players will come to play this?

The most common new players are :

1. Those whom have played private servers for a long time, yet the server in question is on a too old version of the game (Wrath for example)
  2. Girl/Boyfriends that joined because of their lovers.
  3. The really small amount of people that join from other Blizzard games.

I am not saying that there are a lot of “new players”, but as you may have seen I find the mentor system waste of time to begin with.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.