SO what was the point to the Aoe cap?

Among of all the other problem wow has atm… just browing the forums… randmly thought of this.
So… someone remind me … what was the point of aoe capping “most” of the abilities in SL?

Because… i dont realy see any difference in the M+ “meta” and how its formed… than what it was in Legion and BFA.

All it did… is to nerf some classes, making them less fun to play, while some others even nerfed had some other ways to avoid the aoe cap limit… aaaaand now we see them in the M+ meta.
Like realy… What was the point?

2 Likes

It is realy bad design aoe abilities should have stayed uncapped.

Or every ability should’ve been capped…

I was pumping M+ in BFA. I probably did 50 dungeons every week. Now I’m not even doing 1 for the weekly vault and this is mainly because of the AOE cap.

1 Like

It’s about esport and mythic+, they always change the game of that 1% players to make it bad for the rest 99%.

1 Like

Just to be clear about something i too hate the AoE cap.

I did 1300 M+ runs in BFA, i’ve done around 4-500 in SL so far. majority has been pugged.
In the 10-17 area where most players are, i’ve never encountered a random tank (outside 2k+ alts) who actually do the pulls where the AoE cap has any influence. That includes BFA.

So honestly, i have to question how the AoE cap exactly impacts your gameplay. From my point of view, it’s only limited class choices high end, while doing nothing, but deluding a few people low end. Especially considering if you look at top damage done for dungeons.
Somehow there is a capped class in the top 10 of every single one, except DOS.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/zone/rankings/25#metric=dps&partition=1&class=DPS

From my experience, pulls of more than 5 mobs happen pretty frequently even in +15 pug groups. Especially once players get more geared. Being able to increase your pull size is often something that prolongs the liftetime of M+ for players who don’t necessarily push keys. This was definitely the case in BFA. And even though very big pulls might not be the norm in SL, they do happen from time to time and it feels very bad not being able to participate.

That said, dungeon layout is definitely also a main reason for why I don’t enjoy M+ this expansion. The pulls of most SL dungeons are extremely predetermined similar Kings Rest in BFA. I really dislike areas like the maze in Mist where you are restricted to specific pulls.

I miss the pulls from BFA as for example the packs after the second boss in freehold where you could group up massive packs with multiple mobs that needed to be either interrupted or stunned. Or the hallway before the Pig boss in Waycrest where you could pull the entire place out into the courtyard. Or the pulls in Motherload before the first boss with the big robots, assassins etc.

Those pulls were so fun.

1 Like

We hit AOE-cap in every dungeon :thinking: And we hitted our max level. 17-18’s, thats it. Need meta from here. We got already logs of our ret pala on 226 getting beaten in dps by the same players alt boomie on 210 ilvl in the same dungeon. The current state is quite sad, to be honest.

1. You are hardly the norm of players, I am referring to the “casual” level.
  2. I am not talking about the one off pull, jut where you do it consistently where it actually matters.

But i am on that casual level you mentioned. This evening we got a halls 17 on the program. Like yesterday mists 17. My list last timed dungeons is 3x +17 and 2x +15 :thinking:

The point was to make combat less fun

My assumption is that they tried to kill the dps role by making AoE alot more boring to get more people to play healer & tank

You said you never experienced pulls in the 10-17 area (with a random tank) where the AOE cap mattered, including BFA. And I find that statement very odd. Huge pulls were extremely normal in BFA in all dungeons. Even Kings Rest. And they are also pretty frequently occurring in SL dungeons. Nevertheless, there’s no need to ruin the experience of what is still a large group of players.

I really enjoyed all the large crazy pulls you could do in BFA. They were extremely fun for me. So of course I’m sad about the current state of M+. Frankly I don’t appreciate you implying that my experiences from BFA and SL are in any way deluding.

1 Like

A little earlier in the season our tank literally mentioned ardenwalt in DOS is the most fun place in all SL dungeons since that is the only place you can pull big. For tanks and healers bigger pulls are also more fun.

You are in the top 1.6% of all healers in the world. You are legit at the level where people are starting to take it seriously and do the bigger pulls. Actually try and go do a dungeon with a 900 IO main tank… they do not pull big.

While I agree the AoE cap is horrible. I honestly don’t think it does anything positive or negative for the majority of players.

If you had a good tank yes, but your average Joe, of 900-1400 Io? No, they generally don’t do the 10-15 mobs pulls.

The target cap for a lot of classes is 5. But nitpicking the details is also not important.

The point is that the AOE combined with the dungeon design of SL have had a huge negative impact on me and a lot of other players. I enjoyed M+ much more in BFA and pull sizes is a major part of that.

1 Like

For me this…change simply made 90% of the classes less fun to play in dungeons. Thats it… Not talking about viablity of the classes or how high u can push keys.
THe idea of removing the “lets pull the whole dungeon and AOE it down while the tank kites” gameplay… Failed. Ppl are doing it right now with few classes that have non capped aoe abilities. And im not saying this cus my class suck or whatever and i cant get in to keys. I dont care about that. Im simply talking about fun.
Dont even want to talk about how some abilities even make sense …fantasy wise.
Whirlwind hits only 5 targets… How? I dont know… Its just another questionable change for me… thats it. I dont think it should have been done.

We’ve tried doing some bigger pulls but it just takes forever to get those packs killed and ends up with tank running out of cooldowns and me running out of tricks. I dont know if thats due to the aoe cap or us just playing bad, but i’ve concluded its not worth it to try those 2-3 pack pulls anymore :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Also even if had worked, what is the point if it makes the game less fun for a lot of players…

you have not played with windwalker+fire mage+mm hunter. :slight_smile: A