So why do YOU play the game?

Let’s start a thread about why people are still playing this game. In my opinion, it’s in the worst state i’ve ever witnessed (yes i know this is said almost every dry expansion).

However, besides addiction, i think my reason is the subtle hunt for that nostalgic feeling when playing well or achieving something. I haven’t had this feeling in shadowlands, but this addiction-chase keeps me in the game. Unfortunately.

Side note: this is not a troll post. I am curious for people’s motivation.

What’s your reason? : )

4 Likes

Part of me still enjoys the game and sometimes I need a time waster, however that part slowly gets smaller and smaller.

The current set of Devs and constantly offended people working at Blizzard ignoring players doesn’t help either.

8 Likes

For the FORUUUUUUUMS!

10 Likes

I enjoy it. I find it very relaxing after a shift at work.

4 Likes

Currently I am approaching the completion of the leather tmogs for all four covenants and am thinking about moving on to plate (levelling a warrior - 2nd plate currently) .

I’m approaching Codex 6 on two alts now my main did it months ago (and will exalted on Deaths Advanced on all 4 DHs next reset - 3 are already)

I am doing my weekly raid (though often just 3 bosses, pugs rarely pass Remnant.) Mythic Terry is now on the menu (did it first time this week)

M+ unexpectedly am creeping towards 2k. I have done 4 14s this week (I usually just do one.) I don’t really enjoy M+ but having the 2k target is providing the motivation I need.

Not sure if I’ll get there, breaking into 15 pugs is proving hard (being rejected over and over again, whilst 14s are must for fruitful)

I’m also farming Gul’dan (have the unlock on 4 characters, working on my 7 remaining 60s) and just started on Mechagon for the mount (though only my main - this one can really do it currently)

I enjoy it and to me the issues with the game have been overblown (there are some issues I am not blind and 9.1.5 cannot come fast enough) it has become ‘cool’ to slag off WoW and Blizzard and the moment of streamers etc has led to the move to FF14 (which I also don’t get)

Besides I’ve little else to do, not working and recovering from ankle surgery so I’ve got to sit.

I like filling up savedinstances each week, getting the :white_check_mark: agasinst each player for doing the weeklies, raid runs etc.

6 Likes

This pretty much.

Today I did an old achievement I never got; Field Photographer.
I visited all of these locations and it made me fairly nostalgic. I wish Shadowlands’ zones could make me feel like that; but they really, really can’t.

2 Likes

Semi break due to real life stuff which makes me see my gaming PC a lot less but my reasons:
Guild mates
Raids with them
Doing m+ with them

2 Likes

Fun, pure and simple

3 Likes

If I am truly honest then I think it is this, nostalgia and remembering the ‘good times’. Very few games have that pull that brings me back the same as WoW does. I have some games I am waiting for on my Steam wishlist and I am hoping that sooner or later I can find something that will ‘grab me’ long term.

4 Likes

I don’t play the game like most I guess, like I just do what I want, whenever I want and leave it as that.

I’ll go for a few days without logging in then get a day like today where I did a whole raid and timed 3 keys.

Just doing what I find fun with my time.

1 Like

Imho BFA had it worse, but it’s easier to ignore its issues as it no longer affects us.

The economy.

Logging in for the first time of the day and find dozens of sales everyday is far more satisfying to me than running endlessly after gear upgrades. And getting Blizzard Games for free is a nice reward all things considered.

2 Likes

Because despite it not being in the best state that the game has ever been in… it is still a fantastic game!

2 Likes

Same: my mental state after work is so utterly :poop: this helps me relax. Also I enjoy pretending I am actually doing those quests, interacting with others and such, so lore and role playing.

2 Likes

You really have it right. It’s a great escape. It’s a way to turn off to the world, but still be able to interact… and if you want to actually do something, there’s plenty to do.

1 Like

Exactly! My only problem is that blood elves don’t switch on Athapaskan when I talk to them :confused:

like that dude in Dalaran yesterday?

Yes… like him. He looked decent :pleading_face:

1 Like

I wouldn’t play if I didn’t enjoy the game still.

2 Likes

Helps me relax. It’s an escape from work. One of a few hobbies I have and enjoy.

3 Likes

Also one of the cheapest in comparison with other hobbies.

1 Like

True.

Gym membership is around triple my sub.

Ah closest I get to the Gym is the Kebab shop next door.

9 Likes