Solo/casual player looking for the right character fit

Hi!

I’m looking for some race/class advice as I’m a bit lost at the moment, I hope you could point me in the right direction. I have limited time but love logging into the world and playing it almost as a single-player game, but with the social aspect as it’s fun to group up in the moment. I play PVE exclusively. This means that in the end I won’t have time to invest in raiding, thus missing out on the most powerful gear. I really don’t care about min/maxing or complex rotations (I do know my way around the game though). The most obvious answer is to play all the classes to level 30-something, but I wanted to try asking those with more experience first.

I tried the rogue and love the concept, but as I understand it I would be crippled later in the game if I not gear up with raid-exclusives and play with a guild.

I love being the powerful lonewolf/explorer, making money by grinding and professions.

What would be a good fit for me seeking a soloable class with a quite straightforward rotation and possibility to gear up with quest items and/or things that I could aquire in the “regular world” or AH?

Is there a race that you feel is more “fun” to play from level 1? I have time in the long term, but limited time per session.

Tl;dr: I seek a soloable class for a casual player that are able to gear up reasonably well outside of huge group-raids.

(Hardcore players will hate me for this post, but please ask follow up questions instead of directly bashing me for not “gitting gud”).

3 Likes

Hunter/Mage is what you are looking for.
They are the gods of dungeon farmers, can solo nearly anything and can get a lot done with very little loot.
For hunter if you want to find some MC pugs, Tier 1 is really good for them, but more gear only speeds up your farm, you could do it in full greens.
For mages, green stam/int gear from AH can allow you to do every single dungeon farm currently in the game.

I think you should go on youtube and look up mage dungeon aoe farms and hunter dire maul tribute runs… See what you find enjoyable and go for it.

Thank you for taking time to answer! I’ve been thinking about hunter, but I get a bit confused by the various sources I’ve checked out online about their “easiness”. From what I can see the pet management alone is a huge time sink, from taming each and every animal for their abilities, to feeding the right food every 5 minutes to keep them happy. Is this true or is it
exaggerated?
I love management, but from some voices it sounds like it’s almost bugged/broken.

Feral Druid also is a good choice, you can both tank and dps in dungeons and have fun with a very versatile class/spec.

I don’t think there is a class to do what you want here.
As to the fun factor it really depends on your game style.
Sure there are some classes less gear depended than others like mages vs warriors. But it’s not a big issue imo.
But anyway you put it, at level 60 without raid gear you “be crippled” as you say with any class.
You should be able to raid in MC ONY and ZG as it doesn’t require much time, gear or progression in order to do it. And from there you will get a lot of gear now. Plenty gear for every class except dps warrios and anything else except healing for paladins, druids and shamans.

Whatever class you chose to play Herbalism is a must have profession as it is the most profitable by far at least while leveling.

I would avoid classes like warrio(dps) and all Hybrids if you don’t intend to play healing only.
That’s because gear is very hard to come by and it will require a lot of playing, mostly PvP ranking tho not raiding.

As to Hunter pets, it’s not that difficult. You’ll get used to it very quickly and with some easy macros like pet attack will be simple and fun. Sure there are complicated stuff you can do but that applies to every class.

the pet part becomes something you dont rly think about eventually tbh.

Non healing hybrids are welcomed in content that is in farm usually.

I think druids and shamans are best for this.
Because they:

• Do everything (DPS / Tank / Heal)
  • Run fast without a mount, which is great for farming resources in general
  • Druids also swim fast, which is great for farming stranglekelp
  • Shamans can wear cloth, leather and mail (from level 40) which adds to their flexibility

As for “straightforward rotation” I think playing hybrid is definitely the opposite.
It’s harder but more rewarding.

2 Likes

Majorly exaggerated.

I also recommend hunter. Its easy to gear up at 60. If u dont mind going a couple raids. You will be getting some sweet loot mostly cause hunters are less abundant than mages.

Also as hunter you are really powerful from the get go at 60 and can solo alot of content.

I would recommend a night elf cause it sounds like you like to play alone and this way you can shadowmeld and stealth with your pet and go afk if u need to :p. IN addition night elf has faster travel time when dead which is nice since in classic spirit healers can be very far away from your corpse and its nice to cut down time. Same applies with hunter you get cheetah for speed and money is not a problem at 60.

There are some cons ofc and id say its the lack of bags. You need to carry pet food + arrows so it takes alot of bag space. I would recommend to get big bags as soon as you can.

It is a hard class to master but just take your time and learn it slowly. At the very least its easy to pick up once you get a pet.

I recommend to get a Buzzard from the alliance area that has screech then at around lv 30 get a cat with stealth. Make sure to train said cat with either claw or bite not both :), Use this pet to lv 60 and train it claw maybe every 10 levels or so. No need to learn every rank of claw.

Also I recomend to level with a mix of beasmaster and survival.

Also make sure to level first aid. Nice to have since no self heals.

1 Like

If i understand correctly you want a good solo class without raid gear dependency. This is me one year ago :D.

You should roll Feral druid with LW (tribal)/ skinning. You can get solid gear with 0 raid loot.

Head = LW wolfshead
Neck = Darkmoon faire
Shoulder = PVP / BoE
Cloak = PVP / BoE
Chest = LW / Mixologist tunic (soloable boss BRD) / BoE (batskin chest)
Wrist = BoE (batskin)
Hands = LW BoE (Devilsaur)
Belt = PvP / BoE
Legs = LW BoE (Devilsaur)
Feet = LW BoE (Mangoose)
Rings = BoE purple ring + Don ring (AV exalted)
Trinkets = darkmoon cards (maelstrom + heroism for farming/ solo)
Weapon = The Unstoppable Force (AV exalted) for solo and Manual Crowd Pummeler (soloable 3 charge weapon from Gnomeregan)

If you ever want to raid and upgrade, there is feral gear in AQ20 and AQ40.

1 Like

Thank you everyone for taking time to answer (I know there is a lot of these threads going on), hugely appreciated. I hope I see you out there :slight_smile:

You should definitely role a Hunter.

They are a fun, great solo class with just you and your pet against the world (of warcraft). You can even go skinning/leatherworking and make your own gear and learn first aid to stay self-sufficient. Skinning isn’t a bad gold maker either and it’s easy money skinning what you kill.

Pet management is not difficult. You can fish for 10 minutes to have enough food for hours of play, or buy meat from a vendor if you have the silver.
As for pet abilities, you don’t need to train more than 2-3 things to learn alternate abilities. Some of these you can only do at certain level increments anyway so you can just naturally do this as you quest through the world as and when you get round to it.

And as someone already suggested, go Night Elf as Shadowmeld is really really really helpful for when you need to afk as you can just stealth with much less risk of being seen by a mob and getting killed, meaning that you don’t need to keep logging out or running to a safe place.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.