[Spoilers] My stand about the fight in the Blizzcon WoW Cinematic

Is that Sylvanas has been shown to be too much powerful.

We can bring up some justifications like: “Bolvar was struggling to contain the LK power even while fighting her”. But in the end, Sylvanas didn’t even drop a sweat and singlehandedly overpowered a being strong enough to contain the LK and bare handedly destroyed one of the most powerful artifacts which apparently also served as a Nexus or key to the realm of death.

Imo Bolvar should have been a greater threat to her, pumping up characters to the point where major villains are even worth a scar and can be just overpowered like that just deprives them and the universe of dept and charisma.

Other than that, the Cinematic was really well made.

It’s everything the Night Warrior vs Nathanos fight should have been.

Would have made the whole “Actually, that was vengeance for Teldrassil” thing more palatable.

Shame it’s about Sylvanas.

3 Likes

I think it’s a feature, not a bug. Sylvanas has been infused with great amounts of anima power through funneling souls to WoW-hell instead of the afterlifes they should have gone to, as far as I understand it. She is supossed to kick names and take butt. And to show how strong she is now, she first has to beat up Worf. So… in this case Bolvar.

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheWorfEffect
4 Likes

Didn’t Saurfang already fill that role?

Not really. He was just a warrior, and has been shown to lose to guys like Malfurion. He was nowhere near Lich King level. For the Worf Effect you have to beat up the strongest guy in the room, not any tough guy.

2 Likes

I was kinda shocked, I wasn’t prepared to see that happening right now, but honestly I like it how it is. Plus she doesn’t really just use her bare hands to destroy the helm, she almost goes (again) into that banshee form.

And… Don’t be so sure about saying good bye for good to the Lich King. We can think "wow, blizzard got balls to destroy one of the (if not the most iconic) “antagonist” of the Warcraft universe, they don’t rely on fan service… but eh.
Don’t like being that kind of guy pretending to predict how things will go on in 3 years, but the destruction of the helm being the reason to the opening to the shadowlands, one way to close it screams to me…

Plus Ion saying right after the cinematic “There must always be a Lich King, and for the first time there isn’t”.

We won’t kill that “thing” who probably had many names, the last one being remembered by a little part of Azeroth, some trolls, is probably “Mueh’Zala”, which is said to be even older that the Titans. (And I like that idea, Titans being not all mighty, they never had power on Death itself, we’re drifting away from the constant threat of the void, it became hard to find any other villain that could find its place between all that void stories).

And I think it’s clear Arthas will play some role here (Unless I missed something?).
I clearly see a way of ending his tragedy once and for all, his soul being fused with Nerzh’ul, the identity of the Lich King being part of him, and one way or another using that to close the rift.

Yeah I really don’t like being like that, trying to see too much in the future.

But what one must keep in mind is, I think, we’ll hear “There must always be a Lich King” some more.

Yeah, I wen’t off topic, sorry about that.

Sylvanas will turn on the “Big bad guy” and claim his place. I am willing to bet 5k gold and Erevien on it.

If Blizz is feeling generous, Tyrande might not die in the process.

6 Likes

Getting rid of Erevien is in itself worth more than 5k…

1 Like

Ssssh, do not give away my cunning schemes. I am playing 7d chess.

Saurfang did warn Anduin Sylvanas was getting too strong in the cinematic.
“Anduin, Sylvanas actions has threatens us all and day by day her power grows, if our world is to survive, we must strike, while we still can.”

Now it’s clear why Saurfang expected Anduin to stop Sylvanas and Anduin told Saurfang he couldn’t.

Thrall warned Saurfang he couldn’t win, when he gave his axe to him.

Bolvar lacked a essential weapon that Arthas had: Frostmourne.

There were several discussions about why everyone followed Sylvanas orders without protesting, maybe everyone knew how powerful she was and what she does to anyone who disobeys her.

In this case Koltira is being punished simply for being friends with Thassarian.

Arthas sure left some nasty legacy, before he was finally defeated.
Also I think it’s clear by now, everyone touched by Frostmourne needs to be purged.

Cheers.

…or because he let that friendship keep him from doing the job he was ordered to do, one or the other…

I stand corrected.
I admit I did watch the cinematic but didn’t played the quest.

Cheers.

I hope that we get to repair the helmet and save azeroth.

The only justifiable ‘‘punishment’’ for Koltira should be that he did not stay with Mograine and his pals but let himself be dragged into this faction war of the living. Same for Thassarian (who “just” received disdain for his service to the Alliance).

What do these guys care? It was Mograine who saved Fordring’s hide when he threw him the Ashbringer in the nick of time at Light’s Hope. Tirion’s “pardon” should have been calling it quits then.

Anyway, Koltira and Thassarian, imo, were but faction arm-candy. No real logic to it.

1 Like

And being almost overrun by mere farmers with crappy arms and weapons. Like, any military commander would have acted on that for so much brain dead.

Extra: It was Garrosh who ordered him to be there and do his job. And with how much that Orc hated the Alliance it is safe to assume he would have done worse. Like straigth up execution.

what if we repair the helmet and seal the gateway to the Shadowlands and Sylvanas just happens to still be in there.

what if

we can hope but it won’t happen this writers love her to much for that

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.