Spoilers - New Shadows Rising excerpt

Oh well… an Alliance excerpt this time. And Genn seems to be back to being pushy and uselessly aggressive.

Not much happening, though. Except Anduin naming Turalyon “High Commander of the Alliance forces”. I thought that was the High King’s job description?

4 Likes

A king’s duty is more than military. It is civilian as well, and a nation’s leader does assign individuals to oversee these matters and advise them in how to make necessary changes. A single person can’t lead a whole nation/faction solo.

4 Likes

Sure. But the “High” in “High King” was supposed to be only military. Anduin is king of Stormwind, not king of the Alliance.

3 Likes

And Anduin Lothar was the Supreme Commander of the Alliance forces against the Horde in the Second War. This is not a new rank pulled out of thin air. The same way the leader of the Horde is the Warchief, yet we had General Nazgrim acting as the leader of the Horde military.

2 Likes

In a time where the title of High King, that incorporates that function, didn’t exist, yes.

A general is not leader of all the military, no.

2 Likes

Yet Terenas was basically High King in all but name. He had a council of national delegates under his rule . Civilian policies and military campaigns were something he instigated often, but Lothar was his Supreme Commander. The concept of a national leader having someone lower than him take on the role of seeing the High King’s orders completed and giving the orders to the army to see said orders done is a very simple concept, one that frankly does not need supporting because it is a logical decision.

And Metzen directly compared the position of High King with Lothar’s position, not Terenas’.

But your point that the chief executive can delegate his powers is understood. No matter if the “High Commander” position existed before, the supreme commander can call it into existence.

3 Likes

Good. That is the point I wished to push forward. Anduin is many things, but he is not an omnipotent god. It’s why he has people like Shaw and now Turalyon to act as his arms, as well as the other faction leaders. I think he now wishes to focus on fixing things on a civilian scale, rather than focus completely on Sylvanas. It is still an issue he will act on, but delegate much of that power to someone else so he can focus on other critical matters.

Lol why Genn thinks that Zandalari and Sylvanas are collaborating? I know he doesn’t have to know Talanji and her thoughts on the matter. But shouldn’t their lack of presence at Orgrimmar during 8.2.5 give a clue?

Because the arrows used were of Zandalari design, yet the manner that they were used were of dark ranger tactics. Put those things together, you can’t blame him from assuming. But Genn doesn’t have meta knowledge. It’s likely the same group as the guy who tried to kill Talanji.

I can feel the characteristic entitlement, so usual in certain modern day country and the fictions written within it, in the protagonists of the story somehow being shocked when after acting as World Police, end up with the spies they sent into foreign land, dead.
Or when they declare worthless an armistice as soon as the allied nation isn’t bending over backwards to appease their demands.

Wonder if this is supposed to be taken as hypocrisy or it’s just simply the writer not realising the tone being set.
And we are to just take it in as the natural way of things.

3 Likes

Well, the writers are American after all.

3 Likes

I agree. More Alliance whining and preaching instead of taking in the facs and just acting accordingly. But in a world of constant warfare every life is worth the personal sorrow of the High King, else he’d be a bad person, don’t you know?

Genn made some quite reasonable points, considering the situation, but the excerpt did its best to make him seem like he was frothing at the mouth and crying for revenge, while doing it.

But I don’t know if you have learned by now… War is bad, hmkay?

Edit:
But seriously, look at how Genn is described:
“Greymane paced, lips curled as if a low worgen’s growl might emanate from his throat at any second.”
“Greymane huffed, pacing faster, every bit the caged and furious wolf.”
“but Greymane had other ideas, tossing up his hands in frustration.”
“Greymane hissed, obviously unenthused.”
“He waited a moment, hoping Greymane would calm down, but the man’s face had turned red with fury, his thick white whiskers bristling.”
“Greymane thundered”

Seems deliberately designed to make us discount everything he says as not worth listening to.

I don’t even really know what he is supposedly angry about here, except the mention of Sylvanas.

This is why I said that I don’t expect him to know these things. Just pointing out that there was no real connection so far to tie Zandas with Sylvanas.

And just because there are people upset with Talanji that doesn’t mean they would be totally on board with Sylvanas, when Sylvanas is personification of stuff usual Zandalari hates the most.

But myeah I wonder how it will roll out. So far I have mixed feelings. There are many ways this book plot can go wrong.

I am also annoyed that they make again Anduin to be goodie goodie and everyone bending over for him.

1 Like

Consider Zul’jin and the Amani being displaced from their territory by the white, majestic elves and their human allies being displayed as a righteous cause.
Consider how the story of Gorak Tul and Kul Tirans was displayed.

Looks like colonialism and casually slaughtering the primitive natives when they pipe up is A-Okay :slight_smile:

As for the excerpt: Not much new, is there? So, I’d just say credit where credit is due: There’s some continuity in that.

The spicy bits that’ll echo through the forums will likely not be on the alliance side of the narrative anyway.

2 Likes

Genn did not blindly bend over. He was clearly resistant. The only time he faltered was when he was reminded that not all Forsaken were monsters. He is still anti-Forsaken, but he has learned.

It’s just general impression when watching cinematics and overall feel that Anduin has power over him, “Muzzle your dog” and all that.

He is the High King and his word is final, but that doesn’t stop the others from resisting and arguing against his decisions. Tyrande recently did so and seems to be acting independently from the Alliance.

Who made him High King though? This title isn’t hereditary, and he only has command of the forces that were provided to him. Genn doesn’t have to listen to him, quite the contrary, he could challenge him over leadership and ask other leaders if they would want someone else for the job.

Warcraft story in a nutshell.