Story Forum Offtopic Lounge pt. 2

Probably not.
And she already tried to have “me” killed in Nazjatar.

That doesn’t magically erase the fact that ingame portrayal of Warcraft generals, has them failing to even some of her most absurd plans.
So I wouldnt rush to point fingers and call out ineffectiveness regarding warfare.
The Alliance almost died at the siege of the Forsaken stronghold because they didn’t plan for the Blight

2 Likes

Well we all know how good Anduin is at warfare and leading…Greymane/Velen/Yrel(?)/Jaina better.

To be fair: Zarao is right in that regard. I mean the Alliance attacked Undercity without ANY precautions against the Blight. Seemingly the entire Alliance High Command consists of complete morons. And then there was the Dazar’alor attack which wasn’t much better.

Oh, and neither faction has ever heard about supply lines and logistics, considering how many quests exist where we have to collect supplies for them.

The fact remains however that NONE of the Alliance generals seemingy said anything about it as well. Especially Greymane should KNOW about the Blight. This only leaves the option that the entire command are complete idiots.

4 Likes

You say that but the objective of sinking half the Golden Fleet was achieved. If not for blatant deus ex machina in Nazjatar, the Horde navy would be finished.

That be Blizz’s failings yah.

Can we just blame Anduin for an aura of incompetence? Varian would never have made such mistakes. The commanders under him did much better in that era as well.

I see where you’re coming from but this is rather unfair.

Sylvanas’ tactics were horribly bad. I mean, you cannot justify the way she planned and executed the WoT. It only went well because other officers were kept dumb for plot reasons.

The above :point_up_2:

It’s rather pointless to call someone a lousy general, in a setting that has the majority of commanders being about as incompetent as him.

Never said otherwise. But point is, that given the setting, she’s as smart as you can get.

You can always claim to be the biggest fish…when you swim in a puddle.

Also, you can’t just point fingers at her while saying she is inherently bad at warfare, while excusing the times her plans succeed because the script demanded it.

Everything is contingent to the plot. And it applies equally to everyone involved.

2 Likes

This wasn’t the objective, which makes the whole thing so stupid. The objective was to capture Rastakhan and force the Zandalari out of the war. None of this was archieved.

I mean: If the objective was to blow up the fleet then what was the point of the frontal assault on the city? If you have agents capable of planting bombs even within an enemy stronghold then you don’t need an assault.

This is honestly the only option. Otherwise we have to believe that no one in the entire Army of the Alliance from the lowest private to the highest field marshall ever asked the question, “What about the Blight?”

(On one hand though: The Blight is just as inconsistent as everything else. In Lordaeron it kills everything and everyone, while in Darkshore it’s a minor annoyance.)

Even if your entire military expertise comes from Total War and tabletop games, you can still see how the entire command of both factions should have been fired ages ago.

The only general in the entire Alliance who’s somewhat competent is Wyrmbane.

1 Like

To be fair, Rastaman becoming a mini-death god…couldn’t have been predicted with any reasonable certainty. Otherwise, the Alliance coulda have beat him unconscious and dragged him away like Saurfang was.

Blizz’s Rule of Cool. Only explanation that I can think of. Oh and the game needed a raid.

One of the aspects, that completely ruin battles in World of Warcraft for me as opposed to the RTS Warcraft, is the amount of things coming out of no where that turn the tide of battle.

Here is a example:
Cataclysm period, after the mana bombing of Theramore.

• Varian pretends he’s attacking Darkshore, while his real plan is to attack Ogrimar.
  • When Garrosh knows this he is furious, he had sent the bulk of his ships to reinforce the blockade in Darkshore, thinking that the Alliance would attack there.
  • He pulls his ships from Northwatch and had them confront the Alliance fleet.
    4 Horde ships Vs dozens of Alliance ships.

By now I thought, well done.
The Alliance got the Horde.
But than:

• With the help of a enslaved crackers the Alliance fleet is torned apart.

I was like:
“Wtf …
Why do you need ships than ?”
By now I thought, well congratulations Garrosh …
But than:

• Jaina appears with the focus iris in her possession and empowered as ever summons a legion of enslaved water elementals.
    And she summons a gigantic tidal wave to flood Ogrimar.

I was genuinely:
“Wtf again …
Now it’s a battle of monsters ?”
Congratulations Jaina I guess …
But than:

• Thrall and Kaligos appeared and stop Jaina.

I was:
-_-
epic level

Ok.
How much more nonsensical this writing can be ?
Why would you need armies with Giant Kraken’s, water elementals, mana bombs and things coming out of nowhere ?

Can you imagine yourself leading the Alliance fleet in the RTS, outsmarting your opponent, preparing yourself for ground assault and witness all of this happening ?

I can’t.

In my opinion:
WoW power characters and things pulled out of no where should be removed.
Yes this is a fantasy settings.
But if you were to play this setting in the RTS I wonder how many people would enjoy seeing their armies turned in to dust by the action of one single event.

Cheers.

3 Likes

The Alliance fleet in the RTS doesn’t use paddles or sails. True story.

2 Likes

Jump to 2:12.

Each side is grabbing a gun, the one that takes the biggest wins.
That’s how I would define that battle.

Cheers.

1 Like

This is somewhat fine. You can never predict everything. However, the Alliance needed some back-up plan in case they were unable to subjugate Rastakhan. All they did right now was royally pissing of the Zandalari (at least in theory: In practice we’re already working together again because poor Baine).

Something akin to, “Alright Rastakhan’s dead. Plan’s out of the window. Tell the SI:7 to start planting mini tactical nukes everywhere: Let’s blow up their harbor, blow up their barracks, blow up ANYTHING useful and then we leave.” This would result in the Zandalari being completely taken out of the war. Not to mention that the assault suddenly makes far more sense.

The attack on Dazar’alor right now as shown ingame is Warcraft’s version of Pearl Harbor. Yes, some damage was done and many died, but nothing essential for the war effort has been lost.

It’s a problem which honestly started at around Cataclysm. Suddenly we had quests where we killed dozens and hundreds of enemy soldiers without much effort. This only continued throughout the expansions:

• Mists had the inital assault where we used machine guns and rockets (let’s not talk about the fact how machine guns would make the ‘medieval warfare’ style of Warcraft utterly useless because that’s another box of pandora),

• WoD had several quests (cannons, dragons, one orc vs army)

• And now BfA. The Azerite war machine killes 1/3 of the army, the blight another one. Tactical mini nukes destroy entire fleets, you go into a cannon and blow up dozens of Lightforged without effort, you enter a Horde base with a single shredder and burn them all and so on.

Armies in Warcraft have become nothing but cannon fodder. The problem is that the death of so many soldiers has absolutely no weight anymore. The Wrathgate had such a huge impact because not only did Saurfang and Bolvar “die” but also because it was the first time an entire army got wiped out without any chance of fighting back.

3 Likes

If the Alliance was super-ruthless yes…but that has never been their character. It would literally take the Zandalari out of the war yes, but if they were prepared to do that…SoO would have ended with Varian executing the Throne Room’s occupants. Even the Grand Alliance wasn’t that ruthless.

Yes, because the Alliance values the life of their enemies higher than the lives of their own soldiers. I mean we literally send a bunch of them on a suicide mission, but then leave Dazar’alor so that the Zandalari can mourn their fallen king. Meanwhile the Zandalari:

*“Let the Alliance burn.”

If the Alliance is not ruthless enough to take out MILITARY buildings which exist for the sole purpose to train and build soldiers and military equipment …then they deserve to lose the war. Because then the Alliance is not “good” but “pants-on-head-retarded-good.” There’s a difference between being righteous and good, and being a complete moron. The Alliance leans heavily towards the latter.

5 Likes

Considering that the Alliance would have won the war in 8.2 if not for a literal deus-ex machina, it is not the Alliance that deserves to lose the war.

And before anyone mentions Jaina at the Battle of Lordaeron, we deserved it after they dumbed down the entire Alliance during the War of Thorns.

1 Like

I have many numerous recommendations of the new Alliance of the Horde/Coalition of Bainduin, a monofaction. We can dispense with the stupidity required for the other to live if we’re all the same faction :sunglasses:

• Game play dictates that everyone is going to war in BfA.
    The Horde pc will attack Malfurion, Tyrande and the Night Elves even though he fought along side Illidan and listened from Illidan the following message:
    “The protection of all we hold dear rests upon you champion.”
    The Night Elf player character will help the Horde rebellion, even though after Burning of Teldrassil he wishes nothing more than wipe the Horde from the face of Azeroth.

• Game play dictates that none of the factions will lose by the end of any conflict expansion.
    No matter how incompetent their military is.

• Game play dictates that we will fight together N’ZOTH in the next expansion.
    No matter how absurd that became, after the War of Thorns.

Cheers.

1 Like

And the Horde “deserved” what happened in Nazjatar because they dumbed down the entire Horde and Zandalari army in order to succeed in Dazar’alor and destroy the Zandalari fleet.

See?

That’s the problem with bad writing, incompetent portrayal and Deus Ex Machinas, you cant simply handpick the situations when they become “valid” as an argument.

2 Likes

True. Wins a few battles here and there, but cannot win a war.

3 Likes

The most effective manoeuver in warfare that comes to my mind within Alliance and Horde in Warcraft is Theramore tbh

Garrosh concentrated most of the Alliance forces within Theramore, then proceeded to destroy them in a single stroke via a mana bomb, and then blockaded Kalimdor

2 Likes