Subscription Fee is a joke now

Yet the price of everything else is lower than it used to back then. Potions runes glyphes transmog raid BoE, you name it.

You most likely get more or less the same amount of things today out of a token than in 7.3 because people have less money overall and prices are going down to match it.

To be honest, subscription fee should really mean that there is enough content and effort to back-up the price. Guild Wars 2 lacks a sub fee yet in some cases looks like it features more content with it’s patches than WoW does.

There needs to be more than just gear-chasing and sterile instance repeating.

1 Like

How many people would stay in a WoW 2.0 just because of the name and blizzard ? People played this game for years, would it be fair to erase their caracters for the sake of a new experience ? (Although i would gladly welcome it)

At this point you can only do it once WoW is truly dead and no longer update it, or have 2 mmo running at the same time which is a lot of work

I mean do you really know how much money goes into a server farm?? The amount of blades blizzard probably has us insanse… not to mention HDD, SSD, and all the other equipment to create the full tower too. Paying for server use doesn’t just mean “to use their data” it means hardware supported too… the company I work for supplies their South Korea facility.

lol, the stuff people make up.

Agreed. Maintaining a server farm costs a lot.
Now with that being said, could you address what i said?

Considering the work that goes into the art direction, development of the game and regular content patches, I have absolutely no problem paying a sub fee for WoW.

I definitely don’t 100% agree with everything Blizzard do, but expansion price and sub fee are absolutely fine by me and I think they provide really good value for money considering the endless replay value and sheer amount of content WoW provides.

Because those games feature way more ridicilous micro transactiona that people keep buying over and over for no reason… Looking at Fortnite as an example of a cash shop

I don’t agree with the fee, I’m just saying this is why we have a fee. I’m all for making it cheaper or even Buy to play.

1 Like

That’s a normal consumer opinion. Yet people still pay the subscription, so removing it is out of the question for any serious busyness.

But Blizzard have already snuck loot boxes into WoW. They’ve just done it in a smart and clever way. They’re on the BMAH. The Unclaimed Black Market Containers. They usually cost ~200k. The easiest way of coming about that gold is of course to buy a WoW Token and sell it on the AH.

So the whole business model as it pertains to loot boxes exists in all its grandeur in WoW already.

4 Likes

They have got a ton of servers running that they don’t even need… I bet they could make a mega server now and it would be fine.

If they don’t do something with WoW I see more and more subs leaving.
I log once or twice in the week heck. Even in WoD I used to log more times in the week.

2 Likes

No you quite correct, if you take into consideration economic inflation, it is actually cheaper in relation than it was when launched!

A can of coke for example, was approx 45p back then, not it can be anything upto ÂŁ1 due to inflation.

The subscription fee remained the same for many years, and the only place it rose was in the EU by a massive ÂŁ1!!! (uk obv)

There is, it just doesn’t interest you maybe? There may be other players who have too much to do, the problem with this is we can’t have a pro rata sub level, so the only option is to have the one price, which when taken into consideration of the cost of other forms of entertainment, is good value at approx 33p a day.

1 Like

Sorry, mate, maybe I should clarify - there is indeed stuff to do; PvP, M+ and Raiding, but is that it?

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t mean to sound spoilt but those are basic things that cost a few million of us £10/month or equivalent.

Its just my opinion that WoW is edging towards a single-payment-for-the-expansion-only level of content. Wven with the major content patches.

1 Like

So you think subs should be increased on a regular basis when 95% of the game is redundant and what remains has been turned into a tangled mess of corrupted and messed up programming? In addition to paying heavily for xpacs, game services and all the paraphernalia and merchandising available from the in-game shop?

2 Likes

Well if you value a few hours higher than 20€ then go on and buy a token, but it’s but a shortcut not the way it was designed.

I don’t want to pay more than my sub, thus i’m farming. If it’s not worth it then i don’t, that’s it. How you value your time is 100% up to you, blizzard has nothing to do with this.

This token argument is but an excuse from people who could farm it but don’t want to.

The point is that you are paying more money than before, but you are actually not paying more value since 1 Euro back then had more value than 1 Euro today.

What?!

Let’s take Overwatch. It has loot boxes. You can buy these with money. Or you can play the game, gain levels, and get them through that.

Let’s take Hearthstone. It has card packs. You can buy these with money. Or you can play the game, complete daily quests, and get them through that.

The clever thing Blizzard have done with their design, is to ensure that it’s impossible to earn enough loot boxes or card packs through simply playing the games. You’re always going to want more than what you’re able to acquire through normal means. And that constant temptation and desire is what gets people to eventually spend their money.

The reason why Blizzard lets players earn loot boxes and card packs through playing the game isn’t to be nice. It’s to tempt players to spend money by constantly offering them a little bit, but never enough.

And WoW is the same.

Blizzard intentionally designs the game so that there’s a lot more to spend gold on than what most players can keep up with. That tempts players to spend their money on a WoW Token as a way of actually getting what they want.
You may be able to earn enough gold for an Unclaimed Black Market Container once or twice or maybe even a dozen times. But eventually you’ll run short on gold. And that’s when the WoW Token is there to help you!

It’s good business. It’s very shrewd. But it’s also greedy in the light that WoW already has a subscription, and that subscription is – according to some people – meant to keep those business practices out of the game. But it doesn’t.

2 Likes