Sudden framerate problem in classic wow

A couple hours ago while questing in un’goro crater I suddenly experienced a framerate drop coupled with my laptop fan going into overtime. This didn’t go away after a couple min, so I restarted the game. Upon loading in everything was fine for a couple seconds, but then the framerate drop happened again, and it was again coupled with my laptop fan going into overdrive.

So I tried a couple more times, reset game settings, updated addons, scanned game files, restarted my laptop etc but the problems remain.

One thing I’ve noticed is that after I press the play button in bnet and the game starts, my screen brightness goes up by a good amount. This has never happened before. Could it be something to do with my laptops energy settings? I honestly have no idea, and I’d appreciate some help.

Hey Scotchka

That definitely sounds like a combination of power profiles and thermal throttling are the cause - launching a game kicks your laptop into a High Power mode, which causes your screen to get brighter and your CPU and GPU run at higher speeds, kicking out more heat than normal. Then this extra heat probably isn’t being removed quickly enough, leading to the CPU and GPU slowing down to protect themselves from overheating damage

Best thing to do first is to check for overheating, that’ll give you a better idea of what’s going on

Thanks for the reply, Galcavon. I’ve managed to fix, or at least circumvent the problem by changing the power profile of the laptop from balanced to high performance. For some reason this made things go back to normal. So for now the issue seems to be solved.

I am going to dust out my laptop just to be save and it’s been a while since I’ve done that anyways. It didn’t look like a heat problem though, but at least now I know it has something to do with the power profile so I can work from that if the problem shows up again.

Glad to hear that swapping to another power profile helped! That’s definitely a good starting point to work from. I’d personally consider that more of a temporary workaround than an actual fix, since ideally the default power profile should properly bump up the power when needed, though that’s a little bit outside our scope of support ^^