[Suggestion] Flying

Flying is pretty divisive and there is no real way to appease everyone.

I personally don’t like the idea of flying being tied to a specific achievement in a future patch and I am not a massive fan of returning to the old ways of paying a lump sum to access it at cap.
As we know currently, you do your exploration, finish some story, get some rep. Then you wait for 1+ year. Then you get to grind some more rep, explore a bit more before finally are able to fly. Not massively rewarding nor engaging.

I think the fundamentals of flying can be changed to make it something that can be worked towards but in a different way, you can rush aspects of it if you wish, but it will come to all in time. This system is available from launch, so you can work on it while leveling in a new expansion/zone set.
Taking inspiration from Surumar’s Ancient Mana system where you had to find objects and complete quests which would increase the capacity of ancient mana you could hold.

The TL;DR is - Summon flying mount > fly until your mount is exhausted > parachute down to earth > wait for CD. Items gathered from completing content improve efficiency in a choice-based meaningful way up until the full unlock.

• New Ability - Summon Flying Mount, this may not be required, but is the only reasonable way as a non-coder I could think of to implement the system.

The main Mechanic for this is already in use when you fly over a dead zone and get a countdown, at which point you are dismounted and given a parachute.
In our addition to this you are dropped vertically down with the parachute (non cancel-able debuff, can’t use glider or abilities until you land).
We’ll call this “Burdened”.

• Burdened - “Your mount is still acclimatising to the environment and can’t sustain flight”

From expansion start Summon Flying Mount (SFM henceforth) is available, it will summon a random flying mount and give you a “Laden Flight” buff.
SFM has a cooldown of x minutes.

• Laden Flight - “You can fly, sort of, mount at x% acclimatisation”

Summoning a flying mount from the mounts page will only work as a ground mount, you need to have the Laden Flight buff gained from the SFM ability in order to fly.

“Laden Flight” has a duration of x seconds, after the time expires you are given “Burdened”.

With “Laden Flight” your mount will fly at a reduced speed - say 100%

This can be tuned to have limited gains e.g. flying up a small cliff, navigate terrain, you’re at the base of Thunderbluff and cba to wait for a lift, you’re in Nazjatar and don’t want to fight though elementals to get to the path. Tune the duration however is appropriate and set the CD of SFM to a value where there is actually a decision process behind “should I use it now” 10 minutes? Almost make it not worth using in most situations.

In the same vein as with Suramar Ancient Mana, completing the individual requirements of what is the current “Pathfinder” sections would give you an item/token (of undetermined name) which can either increase the duration of Laden Flight, reduce the cooldown of SFM or increase the speed of the mount.
Using these items increases the Acclimatisation value making flight more efficient overall.
There could be other parameters to this if you wanted to make the system more complex other than just Speed/Duration/Cooldown as I have listed.

This could be further padded out with runes or cosmetic glyphs (given you can’t pick your mount) etc

You would get a token for each achievement e.g. completing a dungeon, completing a Mythic dungeon, exploring a zone, picking up a ground object only accessible through flying, getting a faction to honoured/revered. The weekly PvE or PvP cache could award one, weekly quest/mission could etc. So once you’ve done the exploration and other conventional “Pathfinder” parts you can still earn. The amount of tokens awarded is ultimately the “timegate” on the system, so this can be tuned to last over the duration of the first few patches.

Each token rewards enough of a buff to make some noticeable improvement. The point of this is to encourage you to explore all the content the ultimate goal to finally unlock flying, but drip feeding the experience rather than an on/off situation. e.g. a possible 60 tokens for each;

• 3% Speed: 3x60 = 180% + 100% base = 280% flight speed
  • 1s Duration: 5s base + (1x60) = 65s flight time
  • 9s CDR: 60x9 = 540s CDR off base 600s = 60s CD on SFM

Pathfinder still exists but in a different way, after gathering all 180 tokens you get pathfinder, this allows you to use flying mounts the conventional way rather than though SMF, meaning you can get your 310% back if you have it and the CD is effectively reduced to 0.

Using BFA as the example
While the actual meta pathfinder can be “token-gated” if blizzard wish, this is farmable to a specific point but will come naturally to all e.g. with 6 factions friendly/honoured/revered/exalted would yield 24 tokens, 10 dungeons would yield 26 (-4 due to KR and SoB being mythic only at launch), 6 zones giving 12, 6 for exploration and 6 for story, add in some objects, war campaign, world quests and you’re 50% done.
50% efficiency gives; 190% speed, 35s duration, 5.5m CD
Enough of a boost to act as a flight whistle.

Ultimately there could be an override/catch-up for those who haven’t played for the first few patches. Progress is per toon however the “Pathfinder” is account wide so once you unlock unrestricted flying it’s unlocked account wide.

Laden flight mechanic can exist for future patch zones.
Because you are not losing flight between expansions its an evergreen system, the “lore” is that a new environment needs new acclimatisation or some such justification.

I’m sure there is plenty wrong with this but it think you can get more life out of a semi-grind progression system not directly linked to power such as this, compared to an artifact/neck system.

having read this and i heavily struggle to find anything i like about this whole idea. everything sounds overly complicated and bothersome. if something like this would be implemented i d rather quit and play something else or prefer having no flying at all.

either give me flying or dont but dont make rocket science out of it and make me jump through 100000 hoops, which ultimately doesnt make it any better or less annoying than pathfinder. (infact i d find it even more annoying)

everything you suggested sounds a lot like micromanagement to me which i really hate.

i dont mind pathfinder at all but they should increase/diversify the means of getting reputation by reintroducing tabards or mob/dungeon grind, pvp again. and they also should make flying available from the very start, or at least a couple of months in and not years.

5 Likes

Leave Pathfinder for WarMode and allow flying since start for normies :rofl:

2 Likes

I am already annoyed with whole pathfinder and making it even more complicated would just really make me angry.

2 Likes

No thanks. I’m fine with flying as it is.

1 Like

I think flying is already fine .

+1 for your effort in the thread/suggestion tho , well written.

1 Like

Pathfinder is mostly fine the way it is, the only trouble is that they just release flying too late into the expansion. And when they do release flying to quickly add another 1 or 2 reps purely to make it last a few weeks longer.

They just got to release flying in time and allow people to preper for it before that time. Without pathfinder i wouldnt have bothered as long with horrible zones like mechagon and nazjatar

3 Likes

Let them waste weeks farming to fly away if they want, i can shoot them down with my anti-air.

Last xpac i flew was mop, Real players rule the grounds.

This looks like it’s much more worse and complicated than time-gating the flying. I’m fine with grinding for flying to unlock it, as it has advantages for alts since it’s account bound compared to old system where you train for each character. The problem is grinding coupled with a time-gate, if we were able to start the grind right away this would be better.

1 Like

i know right? i commend op for the effort but the whole thing sounds like everything i hate but on steroids. :laughing:

1 Like

I think it would be awesome if they locked flying behind a max level quest line.

Maybe with some amount of time gating (e.g. your mount needs to rest for the day, since it is just getting used to the new environment).

Something simple and funny, like flying through loops, handling turbulences and perhaps even fighting of those giant flying dinosaurs that roam the island. :slight_smile:

This is how to solve flying:

-Make it available account wide as soon as you hit max level. No payment, no pathfinder.

Done!

2 Likes

1 Like

Not weeks or months like it is now… just a few quests every day and after a week you’re done.

I really enjoyed my daily Argent Tournament Tour. It was simple, fun and done within 15-20 minutes with notable prorgess towards the tabard. :smiley:

I rather have grind for it (if we have to have something), i cannot express how much i loath anything that is time gated “few quests per day”. No offence to you! It’s just my personal pet hate. I am kind of person who might play hours and hours (8+) one day and then skip days before continuing and for me anything that is “few quests per day” make game feel not fun. It makes me break my rhytm, puts me behind just because i don’t feel like playing every day and also doesn’t let me catch up by proper good all day grind.

1 Like

Then how about this:

The quest chain is meant to last for x days after you hit max level.
Every day on max level unlocks the corresponding quests.

So you can either do it step by step along the way or wait x days doing dungeons and other stuff and then grind it out all at once.

That way you can always catch up and don’t have to play every day. I get my 15 minute break every evening and Blizzard gets their increased subscription time. :smiley:

1 Like

No. No timegating for a basic feature like flying. Give it for free at max level. We don’t need a long quest chain with timegating to use our ground mounts or flightmasters, so don’t have one for flying.

2 Likes

I would rather go with what Haxxman says and just have it available when hitting max. I am old school cranky player and i haven’t forgot how it used to be. We have gotten so many things removed or nerfed from us, just to be served as extra “content” later. But your last suggestion is definately better direction, alltough make it other way around and let people do the grind from day 1 if they wish. Time gating belongs to mobile games, our gating comes from patches and that should be enough. :smiley:

1 Like

The problem with that is that you pay your subscription per month, not per hour played.
The reason why there is timegating is to keep us subscribed for as long as possible.

All of the game is focused on that aspect as it is their basic economic model of making a profit.

Having fun little quests instead of annoying and dull rep grinds would at least make that entertaining and be worth the money.

• Release xpac with no flightmasters
  • Allow flying from the start
  • Make flying essential for the new zones - put dungeon, raid entrances in the air. Put WQs on top of very high mountains / flying platforms / heck, walkable clouds.