Survival needs the Retribution treatment

Is it just me or is survival terribly boring in PvM this expansion compared to Shadowlands?

I want to clarify I don’t mean their damage, that’s whatever. I always loved survival when it was a ranged spec early on and absolutely hated the fact that Blizzard move to a melee survival spec. I instantly changed my mind as soon as I played it in Shadowlands with the set bonus and legendries they had available to them.

They had a simple yet powerful rotation that sure, you could ignore and spam the same buttons… but to play it efficiently even still, it was a super mobile and enjoyable spec to play and now it just feels terrible. They have stupidly strong single target damage but it’s boring, and the only time their AoE is acceptable is when you forego every single single target damage talent in favour of AoE.

In my eyes, keeping a lot of the Shadowlands elements of survival, moving some items around and nerfing damage would have been more than adequate, but now it just feels like you’re hard trolling if you’re not playing BM or MM. Plus, it’s just straight-up boring to play now.

1 Like

Its weird when People say they loved SV when the Tier Set came because thats when the Spec got boring as hell

SV was a fine and fun Spec in SL. Only lacking ST Damage. Then they decided to bust the Spec with that monster of a Tier set resulting in crazy ST & AoE Damage but also in a degenerate Gameplay.

SV pre Tier Set with the Legendary was where they should have continued on and not destroying everything and brining MB spamming back. Also they should consider Dual Wielding and more Mid-range stuff.

6 Likes

100% agree with Dt except the part " dual wielding " .

Survival need the ranged treatment, it’s a failed experiment.

5 Likes

Survi should be more tankier cause of his melee playstyle. And i wanna an option to go without pet cos it’s dying from cleave in arenas. Make survi tank or give him mid (10-15)range character or rambo style one BIG KNIFE with small handgun and you can choose between close more tanky POGGER or mid handgun commando

how much have you played the spec since Legion ?

Only when it was mandatory, If I want to play melee I will play my rogue or warrior.

so your only experience was when it was total overpowered with a degenerate rotation

as usual people with no experience calling something a fail

7 Likes

Well yes, because other than that, it was pointless to play it. Unless you are one of those weird people who have to play a dead spec just to feel special.

Well, somebody only plays meta specs to make sure to always be on top?

The bomb-fishing rotation we had in the last to seasons of SL was horrendous!

I wish for more Legion-style survival hunter abilities to come back into the talent tree. Old-style Mongoose Bite and Flanking Strike, Caltroops, Lacerate, Raptor Strike as a filler.

or… Guess what. It was simply fun to Play??? You have obvious no idea how good the Spec played before Tier Set. It was doing fine in M+ You know what was missing for an easy fix to the only Problem it had ? a stupid Single Target Buff. But as you probably agree on this one. Its Blizzard and they never do easy fixes

fwiw survival 10/10 on fun scale in solo shuffle, BM will be 2/10 or smth
https:// wow-challenge.vercel.app

This is my idea on the “retribution treatment” but for the whole hunter class:

1 Like

Oh boo hoo, did they take away your beloved ranged Survival spec and you still can’t get over it that the changed it to melee over half a decade ago?
I tell you who is weird. It’s not the Survival players but grumpy, whiny people like you. It’s people like you who feel special. What are you even doing in this thread?

3 Likes

Touch a nerve, did I?

Little bit late in terms of a response, but I would recommend trying out a survival hunter on Wrath of the Lich King classic and play the trap-weaving build which is considered the meta build for survival.

It’s incredible fun to play, requires a decent level of skill and good raid knowledge to play it correctly whereas melee survival is fun but not as fun as it used to be. Derailing the topic a bit, but ranged survival was way more fun.

And I prefered my pre-WoD Frost DK. I prefered my MoP Assa Rogue. I prefered the 2H Shaman playstyle back in the days of Vanilla. I also prefered Shaman being Horde exclusive and Paladins being Alliance exclusive. I prefered when the Factions were actually at war with each other instead of this gigantic hugfest we have today. I prefered the old Honor System over the eSports crap called Arena System etc etc etc.

But that’s all gone. When talking about retail we have to live (play) in the here and now. I know old ranged Survival was fun. We all know it was a giant mistake by Blizzard to not add the Hunter melee spec as fourth spec. And for damn sure it was an even bigger mistake to continue calling it Survival, poisoning its existance right from start.

So blame Blizzard for everythig that went wrong but don’t always attack Survival and Survival players. They did (and still do) nothing wrong. They are generally nice people trying to enjoy their favorit spec. And believe me, that’s hard enough by itself with that crap talent tree. We don’t need clowns like Phyix coming to “our” theads spreading nothing but hate.

3 Likes

Isn’t Survival becoming one of top PvE specs in 10.1 due to the new raid polearm?

Doubt it that weapon will do much, and it’s shared with druids and monks I think?
And if it’s overpowered then it’ll get nerfed.
Plus strength classes gets the new Ashkandi that also have a special effect on it.

Would like to see some better synergy in our talents. Like back in Legion where Mongoose Fury stacks empowered Fury of the Eagle, and extended the timer.
Our AOE can be improved by bringing back the old Butchery from Legion as well where instead of having the 5 target limit, it increased the damage for each target hit. Pull 20 mobs and you’d get insane numbers… If only Blizzard wasn’t so afraid of AOE these days…

1 Like

As of current testing, it’s not doing much damage at all.