SV hunters..were are you?

Is anyone playing Survival Hunter?
If i go to Orgrimmar or any other city…i don’t see any Survival hunters…why not?
Are they really that bad?
…i mean…i would have understood if i would not see any frost dk’s, since they are very weak…but is SV hunter in the same pile of poop?

I see plenty when world questing. Also I am one of em though I cant play much these days

i like the idea of a SV hunter.
I like that Rexxar is also a SV hunter (although he uses two one-handed axes and not 1 two-handed weapon).
Rexxar was my favorite character since Warcraft 3, and i always wanted to make one that looks and feels like him.
But i am afraid that if i make one, i will not be invited in M+ or raids bcs of all the bad “rep” SV hunters have on the forums and stream…
I don’t want to end up like frost dk’s…

Barely anyone plays sv because nobody originally started playing hunter to play meele.
Spec is pretty average atm but u will still sometimes get kicked because they expected u to be a ranged spec.

2 Likes

I play survival as my main spec, i like this iteration but i wish we was a true mid range to melee fighter like bow on ranged and polearm on melee, i feel its a niche gameplay we could fit into and i think they never hit this properly before, last i remeber feeling like that aas weath and melee was basic.

Neddless to say i love sirvival im currently BM as im hinting spirit beasts

I’d like to play surv, I actually find it to be a fun spec.
But how fun it migt ever be, there also seems like there’s just no room for Survival hunters.

In a melee heavy game, where utility is a must for many, survival hunters just does NOT get picked ( I guess because even mediocore guilds goes after the “template” of the hardcore guilds raid/M+ roster).

Joining a casual raiding guild? You are told to swap to MM or BM if you wanna raid. Applying for M+ groups, you are denied for being melee, making your own group? … same story, people leave.

So most people just play MM or BM. If Survival hunters had something actually USEFUL to bring, and stood a chance for a spot on the team, more would play it.

But in general I feel that hunters lack… something, in BFA.

Resident survival hunter here, speccs as said average compared to MM and BM, but it has all the fun the other two speccs lack.

Sadly most won’t bring a survival hunter as other melee can for the most part do what we do and do it better or just bring better raw DPS. Any mythic raider can feel free to correct me, on this :>

1 Like

I’m thinking of rerolling to survival. Very unique spec, kinda a ranged-melee spec. Loads of fun though!

Originally Hunters had a melee spec and plenty of hunters were upset back then that Blizz changed it.

Certainly the case for me. I levelled it in BFA just to try it out and did some pvp/lfr but, ultimately, I’ve got a feral and a rogue for melee so ended up dropping it.

I occasionally use it to scale the hilltop next to Paku but otherwise this hunter likes to shoot stuff!

That’s not really true though is it?

Yes we had a Survival tree which had one line designed to enhance the melee abilities ‘all’ hunter specs had, but the rest of the tree was about traps, extra dmg/health and Wyvern Sting.

The majority of time we were still shooting things.

Edit - Correction: just checked and there was one line and also Savage Strikes on column 2 for a total of 3 talents that boosted melee effectiveness. 3 out of 16 in the Survival tree.

1 Like

No. Survival was 100% melee with traps, with 31pt called Lacerate. Most of the talents boosted melee dmg and traps.

This was changed in patch 1.7 into what 99% of the wow community remember with Wyvern sting.
If you google around a bit there is 1 site with the original survival tree calculator.

“classicwowtalents.appspot”

Oh wow, well there you go :smiley:

Why would anyone play survival, any other melee spec is better and it brings nothing really unique.

In PvP it’s kind of serviceable but after templates were removed (and a large chunk of versatility with it) it’s very squish and mongoose bite hits way less than it used to (I used to crit 1mil in arena with it when people had around 5mil hp)

Some ppl find Surv hunter fun, others don’t. Not everyone is after meta dps.

1 Like

My only complain about Survival going melee is that it steals a spec from the only ranged physical DPS class, even if a lot of the Survival damage was magic.

That’s why I still think we’ll get a new ranged physical DPS class next expansion.

Ditto. I’m all for expanding class trees and players enjoying their class but they essentially removed a longstanding play style. 4 trees would be great. SS/BA/ES was a great spec. You had your dots, but reactive shots as well.

Seeing a you all seem nice; how do you guys handle battlegrounds as survival?

i dont see many surv hunters in raid scenarios but that’s because surv is just another melee

How many ferals do you see?