Sylvanas' Treachery Foreshadowed Since Vanilla

Malf is like a God, it’s more important to kill him than the whole nelf capital.
That would have caused similar grief to the nelves but not such a big fuss from the alliance and the horde itself.
Let alone that they could have killed Tyrande too if they killed malf and stayed 10 mins longer :smiley:

Of coures nelves would keep fighting but it was a good plan. Killing Genn for example would have been a success, this doesn’t mean worgen would surrender.

Yes, i know it’s dumb not to have anti-blight masks. Still, the blight would not be used ever if masks were actually used. So given the fact that the alliance does not use blight protection (or given the fact that blight is presented as somethign that you cant protect yourself from), it was reasonable to use it that way.
Now, people showing up out of nowhere (jaina conventiently showed up THAT time with a magical ship taht could dispel the blight SERIOUSLY not even the worst TV drama does not do that…)

Why do you say that? More alliance troops died, so there’s better odds.
Since her generals were tragic in the war handling and let the whole zandalari fleet die to remote bombing having left alliance spies land on all ships and plant bombs … . … . the story sucks . . .

Syvlanas has a plan, probably sinister? who knows she mentions we are all tin soldiers and oblivious. Let’s see what that plan is, though ofc we trust it’s not a very good plan or bargain

1 Like

No. Malfurion is like a demigod at best. So was Cenarius, who died in the Third War, and was not enough of a loss to crush the night elves. It was not a plan when it would have failed in its purpose.

Yes, i know it’s dumb not to have anti-blight masks. Still, the blight would not be used ever if masks were actually used.

Which means that Sylvanas would truly be doomed, because the blight was her main asset.

Why do you say that? More alliance troops died, so there’s better odds.
Since her generals were tragic in the war handling and let the whole zandalari fleet die to remote bombing having left alliance spies land on all ships and plant bombs … . … . the story sucks . . .

Because many of the few remaining Horde troops left also died. If you have 30 soldiers and the enemy has 300 soldiers, if you kill 90% of the enemy soldiers at the expense of 90% of your soldiers, you have not balanced anything.

Because gameplay offers a rather narrow perspective regarding what really transpired there (with cinematic, cut-scenes, and PC actions at play), and because the rest of Wounded Soldier quotes hardly describe the situation half as good as that one:

* Wounded Soldier says: You have my thanks!
* Wounded Soldier says: Thank you, Champion. I will find my own way out of here.
* Wounded Soldier says: I… I think I can make it. Thank you.

But yeah, at this point there is zero point in debating such. Back then people could wonder about the possibility of militar necessity.
Given recent development, its pointless trying to battle an already muddied subject/character drive.

1 Like

Agree to disagree. I mean, our opinions differ on this way too much, neither is willing to step back, and I don’t know about you, but I am sick of beating the dead horse.

Agreed (to disagree i mean).

2 Likes

Dear sylvanas stans, hoe often have Blizz to show you that Sylvanas don’t care about the Horde until you finally accept it?

1 Like

Hi, edgy Sylvanas fan here.
So I was reading until your reply and got to thinking. Because you do have a point. I don’t fully agree with you, but that’s because I just realized something.
Blizzard added the choice-thing late, apparently it wasn’t planned but backlash made them add it at the last moment. It shows, all it added was extra runs to Nathanos to tattle on the rebels and then go do join the rebels to spy for Sylvanas. So just do the quest anyway. This fact should be wider-known than it currently seems to be. Seriously Alliance, we loyalists never got anything more than anyone else, except some insults from dear Nathanos.
And then the ending of the war campaign is this.
Actually… Come to think of it Blizzard must have felt forced to add the choice-thing to not spoil Sylvanas going all bat-guano-crazy.
Sucks.

Eta: By the way, on topic, it was always pretty obvious Sylvanas wasn’t good as undead anymore. But that’s what was making being Forsaken fun. This is a fantasy game. There is choice. Some people want to play altruistic characters while others want to harmlessly spread their frustrations around in a make-believe evil way. And now it feels even Blizzard no longer thinks it is okay. It’s no longer role-playing Humans+Worgen and Forsaken hating each other, it just became a personal message from Blizzard that it’s wrong to want to play an evil character.

1 Like

This sums up BFA accurately.

3 Likes

Problem is, it is a nightmare to write one playable group to be morally dubius when they are the only group to be like that within the entire game.

There is no other group within either the Horder or the Alliance that are as evil as the Forsaken, currently. It has been like this since vanilla, and the divide between the Forsaken and everyone else has only increased. All the while the playable Forsaken do the same quests as the Horde and to a lesser extent the Alliance, fight the same evils and bosses, and are considered by almost everyone within the narrative to be a force of good for everyone, and not just the Forsaken. Aka, a hero.

Playing an evil character has never been supported by the narrative outside of a few fringe quests, which can be done by all Horde players. It was high time they dealt with this split personality nonsense the Horde players have to go through.

Well this kind of rules out any deal with Helya for the greater good. As she wouldn’t have known about Helya back then.

So doesn’t this further contribute to her being genuinely evil all along?

2 Likes

Well, I just get the feeeling some folks believe she is much less evil than she truly is.

From a narrative pov it makes sense that during recent expansions as Sylvanas became more involved with the Horde and its leadership she also had to pretend to be ‘one of the guys’ and the funny thing to me is that… a lot of Horde players bought into that just like a lot of the NPCs did.

But of course now it is painfully clear that she was screwing with everyone except perhaps ‘some’ forsaken loyalists. And I reckon nobody really knows how many of the FK are in on it and how many genuinely oppose her at this point.

2 Likes

scorched earth tactic, if youre going to loose the city then why not take out as many enemies with it and make it so teh enemy wont become stronger from it. happend quite abit in medvial ages castle is going to be lost? destroy farms and other stuff so enemy doesnt take resources of it against you.

And the soldiers she plagued say them selves they where out of position/not where they should have been or dint start retreating when they had to and stayed their longer then should have.
And for leader and evryone else its unfair to not use it just cause few ingored orders to retreat adn stayed behind.

Undercity and blighting it was a fine military tactic and she wouldve actully won there and killed the alliance leaders if not for dues ex machina jaina freezing blight(never shown before its capable of that or after)
its something that happend alot in the real world.

1 Like

ever heard of scorched earth tactic? cause that was what undercity was.

And soliders themself say when you go save them they where out of position ,or retreated to late/ingored retreat order.

you can argue alot is bad/stupid of what she has done, but undercity blighting wasnt at all.
its a valid military tactic that was used alot in real world aswell and makes alot of sense.
Loosing the battle/city/fortifcation then why not make sure your enemy doesnt become stronger from it. and you arent going to let enemy just walts in and win when you can defeat them cause a few ingored orders and stayed behind when they shoulndt have.

i know she doesnt care about horde,never really has outside alliance of convience/necasity.
And why should i care about that?
only orcs/tauren/trolls are together cause they like eahc other/are simelair/honor/whatever
Other main races are in horde cause of nescasity,to have better chance at survival not casue they really like the orcs or trolls or something

That’s all irrelevant because WoW was never a game that made quests race-specific beyond the starting zone.
You cannot blame the Forsaken for other Horde-members mindlessly picking up quests from the Apothecary.
Also Garrosh put the Undercity under heavy guard after the wrathgate, Garrosh turning out evil doesn’t negate the fact that Forsaken were perceived as evil plague-makers.

@Silentsnake
Oh she was screwing with everyone, no exception. I also don’t want the story to go in a way where she gets redeemed.
The little bit after her flying off after killing Saurfang is the first time she gives some more insight into her plans. All through BfA, the loyalists just tattled to Nathanos and went to do the same thing as the rebels anyway.

2 Likes

I would’ve bought the scorched earth argument if that is what she was using. Russia utilized it successfully many times throughout history but never did it involve burning Moscow to the ground. It involved starving the enemy before they could reach Moscow. Syvlanas scorched everything but the earth; she scorched the city. Their main stronghold. I don’t think that has been done in history, ever. Usually, when a fortified city got razed/destroyed, it was because of the enemy soldiers.

However, I don’t think it is possible to view the narrative of WoW through the lens of a historical perspective. Medieval kingdoms did not have magics, and what the magic can and cannot do in World of Warcraft is extremely arbitrary. To me, the only real thing of significance is that Sylvanas abandoned the city of Lordearon. Shouldn’t that have severely decreased their power in the region? What’s to stop the Worgen from reclaiming their homeland? I would genuinely like to know this. Did Gilneas get blighted as well? Can’t remember.

2 Likes

There’s so much wasted potential though, with choices that don’t matter. It doesn’t matter which quests you take, picking up Forsaken quests which are … morally not even grey has no consequences.

Playing forsaken / tauren makes no difference actually in terms of alignment / reputation, that is super wasted opportunity. Yes, it would be more complicated, but it would be RPG…

Sylvanas / Garrosh / Thrall pick their own actions with their consequences, but we have 0 control or opinion on anything. We cannot support / endorse or the opposite. We cannot affect anything and our actions are just void.

3 Likes

Which is why it was absolute bullcrap that we allowed the filthy elf-corpse to sit upon the throne of Orgrimmar in the first place. NEs should have been Horde and Forsaken Alliance.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.