Tank and Healer "Shortage"

I level as enhance, but keep offheal gear. People are upset when I need items for healing(only need when the healer of the group doesn’t need it). There was this rogue who kept calling me ninja for needing +healing and spirit mace in SM cath when the healer(my mate from my guild who we were with on discord) already had the mace. I do heal sometimes in the dungeons and open to do so, but thing is I usually go dungeons with mate from the guild who plays resto druid. But people who are not happy when I need on heal gear as enh shaman makes me wanna forget the option to heal the dungeons and just go dps always.

had this guy telling me i should not need on mail gear from sm because i could not even use it untill 40.

:laughing:

1 Like

Rogue - 2 cc, hunter - 1cc, Shaman - 0, shpriest - 0.5, warlock - 0.5
Low value indeed.
Would have first two any time over the last three. Though shaman is good with dat windfury. And shadowpriest is the least valuable as you can always have a holypriest do mc when needs be.

You are kind of proving my point. You had to add spriest, lie about warlock, and compare it to another low value class to make rogue look valuable. Why not throw lolret in there as well, really make the rogue shine?

Low value doesn’t mean zero value. It means low value. Rogues are nothing more than dps extras in 99% of the game’s content. They are easily replaceable by anything, and in most cases it would actually be preferable. Nobody seeks out rogues for CC, and good luck getting a rogue to do anything more than spam sinister strike anyway.

There is a reason why the idealized raid group (idealized as in not realistic for most guilds) consists of only a couple rogues and hunters for the occasional gimmick like tranq shot. “I do damage” doesn’t hold much value by itself.

A fury warrior does damage, and can throw on mitigation gear to help tank. You know, what this thread topic is about… tanking, and how much it is valued.

A mage does damage, and offers AoE, water, a preferred CC, portals.

And yes, I’m much rather have a shammy in the group. Let’s be real here, the rogue wasn’t going to CC anyway. The shaman can just tank the kill target while the warrior holds the rest. And in end game content, the shaman is adding way more to the raid than a rogue.

I’m only giving perspective here, nothing else. Obviously rogues aren’t garbage, but if 40% of your server is rogue/hunter and you are nothing to the group other than “extra dps”, you are going to have difficulty finding groups. But most of us knew this already. Even the topic creator knows this, but for some reason decided to make a post lamenting about his situation anyway.

1 Like

My rogue can cc, I even kick. So if you meet bad rogues, who have never heard of CC, does not mean all are bad.

Of course not.

There are also warlocks who use seduce and can actually use a controlled fear. Most won’t. But if we are going to count warlocks as “.5 CC” then it is only fair to assume the rogue is doing nothing more than spamming sinister strike, because that is what the average rogue is going to be doing. I really shouldn’t need to explain why you don’t compare a skilled rogue to an unskilled warlock.

2 Likes

Fair enough :slight_smile:

I’d gladly tank, just get the DPS to stop going crazy the second I so much as touch an hair on a mob, I need rage and aggro…

And would it kill you to attack the Skull first, and then Cross? sick of having to run over to that mob you aggro and expose my back… shield only work when pointed at the enemy.

Ret has 0.5 of a CC though. :frowning:

What do you think about names? If you saw someone lfg and you didn’t like their name, would you look for someone else?

Yes. I will not invite people if their name is something stupid.They can go back to their cleave groups.They feel right at home there.

3 Likes

I’ve had a quick read through this and here are my thoughts.

You’ve rolled a purely dps class and you’re having trouble filling groups. So you’re wanting/insisting that the player who has put all of their talents points into a dps spec, to go heal or tank for you?

If you’re that desperate for a healer or a tank, roll one, problem solved. Don’t expect someone who doesn’t want to do either role, boost your group.
It’s ridiculous to expect someone who you expressly invited as DPS to fulfil a role they’re not geared or setup for, just because you can’t find someone else to do it.

So far in classic I have played Retribution and Holy on my Paladin (mainly to get the Paladin weapon quest done) and the Retribution heals when compared to those put out by Holy are a joke. Something I’m sure will be the same for Druids and Shaman.
No way I’d be faking a healer or tank role on a character setup for dps. It’s just not a good idea.
Take it from someone who is running a healer, you don’t want someone who’s faking it in your group when things hit the fan.

I was planning to tank, now I rather go to work than to tank.

DPS are so completely ignorant about warrior tank (majority of tanks) limitations to AOE and rage generation, especially on low levels.
All they can do is whine about the tank not being able to hold aggro when all 3 dps go ape on different targets.

GG and have fun spamming general chat while you wait for an hour.
All you do is scare off any potential player that thinks about tanking.

6 Likes

Worst post I ever did half read…

It makes sense for quicker groups for all for them to so so. You can heal just fine, at least as a Shaman/Priest, without a single talent in healing specs up to level 50+.

Not really for Shaman. Sure faster healers and slightly less mana use would be good, but you don’t really get anything that would make a huge difference until nature’s swiftness.

You aren’t ‘faking’ anything, how many warriors that are tanking are prot specced? How many Shaman/priest/druids are specced in to healing? I’d wager very, very few if any, because it isn’t necessary - it might be for Paladins, I have no idea with them. I just carry Int gear and boom, I can heal fine.

Take it from an enhance Shaman, I can heal great and also quest and any wipes would not have been prevented by any resto talents.

1 Like

So, my account hold, which was imposed on me due to the raid XP fallacy and the sh*tstorm that followed, got lifted and I decided to check on my favorite thread.

Being specced in Shadow is not an excuse not to heal - every priest is specced in Shadow anyway and to be specced in something else would be foolish/masochistic. Also, your heals are only slightly worse than those of a Holy/Disc specced priest because 1) you have no spell damage/healing anyway; 2) talents in Classic barely matter, especially at lower levels.

The same applies to warriors. Everyone levels as Arms/Fury. Prot is just bad and you will never see anyone using it for leveling. Still, that’s no excuse to not tank.

Healing dungeons as a feral druid, retribution paladin or enhancement shaman is absolutely possible up until your 30s, which is where talents and gear finally start to kick in. Before that, don’t make up stupid excuses that your total +15 agility/str (and not +15 intel) makes you a bad healer. If something at that level makes you a bad healer, it’s you.

This comes from someone who already has two >20lvl Arms warriors and a 20 shaman in Classic (aside from this mage on my profile). Notice how I didn’t specify my shaman’s role - that’s because I’ve done all 3 with him, although I’m mainly tank.

just a short edit: if you’re a feral druid and refuse to tank, saying that you’re “cat dps”, I will instantly kick you.

1 Like

I’m not even buying tank abilities GL with that

Have fun solo-questing then. :slight_smile:

#nochanges

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

That assumes that you accept a shaman dps as heal. Many groups don’t do that but only accept heal specs. Guess they are not used to dps being able to tank/heal anymore due to retail… :cry: