Tank vs Healer

Hey,

Would you say there is a difference with the demands for Tanks or either Healers for groups, raids, dungeons and PvP?

Do Tanks find themselves getting into these quicker or Healers? Which ones excel at what area better?

I would say theres a bigger demand for tanks than healers, tho you are more likely to get flamed

2 Likes

This is definitely true for Dungeons. Each dungeon party needs one tank and one healer. and tanks are scarcer.

In raids, though, a party of say 25 might have up to 8 healers, but only 2 tanks. So if you are a dedicated tank, you might find guilds already have enough tanks, while there are still some healer spots open. Though oddly, in LFR, you will more likely be waiting for a tank, because tanks don’t want to put up with the potettial for getting abuse there.

In PvP, healers are always welcome, especially in battlegrounds, while tank specs have less they can fit in.

3 Likes

So morale of the thread, play a Tank class in PvE that can heal in PvP?

It depends on what you want to do - what you enjoy doing.

A lot of people - most people, I suspect - play DPS specs only.

Play a healer if you WANT to play a healer.

Play a tank if you WANT to play a tank.

There are classes with both healer and tank specs available, like Druid, so you CAN do both on one character.

But all the tanks play differently. And all the healers play differently. You might find the style of healing you like is best fit by Holy Priest, and the most fun tank for you is Vengeance Demon Hunter. In that case, you should make both a Priest and a Demon Hunter!

In modern Retail WoW, getting a character to max level is only a tiny part of the time you will spend on an expansion, so levelling two (or more!) characters is not burdensome, and in fact most of us keep many characters (alts) on the go for different specialties.

1 Like

I’m kinda confused that you just see Tank and Healer as the same :smiley: Tank and Healer playstyle is very different. Tanks are also usually the leaders f the group and need the most knowledge.

I also kinda tried to be both on my monk (druids and paladins can also be both). But I also had the problem that I was Healer in raids and Tank in dungeons, and then you need different gear for both and it felt quite strange. So I went back to fulltime healer. I like the role more anyway and in the end I also didn’t like monk tanks. And I like Guardian druid tanks but Mistweaver monks more than Druid resto healers. And then I couldn’ t keep up with my druid tank in itemlevel and stuff. So Monk Mistweaver is my main.
You will probably also end up with only one of them :smiley:

PS When I leveled up tho, I played Healer and Tank because gear didn’t matter. But in endgame you usually have a main class and specc that does all the gear stuff, reputation and so on, and alts are always a bit behind.
I am also someone who likes the feeling to play every role if I want to, so I only like the classes that can play all roles. And then I noticed that I don’t like Paladins but that’s different for everybody. I sometimes tank easier content for fun (LFR/normal raids, mythic dungeons). It taught me a lot how to heal as well “how the other role/person feels”.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.