Tanks and not using mitigation

Why do they not read up on tanking before they attempt it? Just had someone lamenting that my healing sucks but then I checked what he’s doing… Instead of using mitigation, he’s casting heals. He can’t dodge, he can’t parry, he can’t block if he’s casting and he certainly can’t use any mitigation. No wonder he’s close to dying so much.

Why do these people not read up on the basics before they start tanking?

1 Like

I would ask why dps don’t move out of the obivous fire but that’s like asking why the water is wet the Dps are dumb creatures by default.

The tanks on the other hand if you don’t grasp the concept of active mitigation you might not be using it especially if a dps swaped to tank. I think he actually did try his best in keeping himself alive but he doesn’t know the nuance of it because he only dpsed.

I can 100% forsee it was a dps tanking that was doing that not a guy wanting to tank. So blame the dps for being bad and standing in fire that’s what im getting at , teach them proper stuff and they will research more when off-specing.

9 Likes

There’s no excuse from an ability point of view to not use mitigation as a tank depending on the pack. Certainly hard casting heals is not great unless no mobs are wailing on you (ie when monks kite tank they have room to vivify, and given their celestial fortune their self healing can be somewhat potent. If mine procs I heal myself for about 33k or so which is roughly 10%of my health. If lucid dreams procs on top of that that’s about 46k healing at next to no energy cost).

From an itemisation point of view for mythic it’s actually better for many tanks to gear for damage to increase clear speed, as their mastery buffing attack power causes them to scale very well with damage procs etc. Certainly for myself I’m aiming for dps trinkets and traits/essences as I’m bulky enough that furthering it more has a smaller impact than increasing my dps.

People complain all the time, but did you take the time to nicely tell him? Sure he might’ve made mistakes but perhaps you could help him too. Not saying you didn’t, but that the truth is people fart in each others direction instead of giving sound advice.

I actually enjoyed last week because there was no pressure to gear up in M+, so you could take the time to give people pointers and laugh mistakes off

Ofc this week’s affixes are a walkover and there’s loot too, so enjoying this reset already a lot!

10 Likes

I’ll explain you why. Leveling process is so easy, boring and teaching you anything about your class/spec gameplay. Low level tanks literally run into mobs and deal max damage. They don’t need mitigation there. They are not even used to pressing mitigation buttons. They probably don’t eve know how much damage would be mitigated with one. Also questing where taking 4-5 mobs is not a problem and you are able to kill them with no cds is stupid. Classic - Wrath leveling was superior to it because tanking few first dungeons already required you to use your spells. You had to be 16 lvl to even queue for Deadmines or RFC. As warrior you got shield block then and you were finally able to survive 2 dungeon mobs with the healer. Also when you had to go to your trainer every 2 levels you at least knew what spells did you get when you bought them.

Right now leveling is like a punishment that you have to go through to finally unlock the true game at 120. People after reaching 120 just don’t know how to play the game. Community and Blizzard is also not helping. I posted few times that there should be ingame guide tab where we can create our guides and builds to share with others.

In Dota 2 they have such thing. For example when I play Dota 2 after few months break there is a player called Rivalry that creates quite accurate builds according to meta. With few minor differences to very high end players.

1 Like

:clown_face:

Some do some don’t, the only way to really learn tanking is by tanking, not knowing how to tank =/= being a douche.

2 Likes

In the new raid, i do everything correctly and don’t get on any &@$@ but the random boss debuff on players kills me all time how about that ?

tell that healers made mistake = kick from group.

tanks have problem in the raid, and you trying to tell what to do or not ( my main is tank so i can help them ). Then, they still make same mistake all time and you ask to kick the tank = you getting the kick

same with my tank if i saying dps is low or they doing something wrong and we should wip it and try again = kick from group

my point is nowadays you need to be shout up and don’t say anything to don’t get kick

Wow…thats quite some arrogant response at best. So all dps players are dumb. All tanks are insane gods, but if they make a mistake its a clear sign of them beign originaly dps because as we learn above- all dps players are dumb.

Thats like me saying : “Usualy all tanks are arogant stupid idiots that thinks they are center of the cosmos and all players in the group should bend to their will. On the other hand if a dps player stand in fire or fk up some mechanic i can tell for sure! thats a tank who rerolled to dps because there were two tanks already.” How does this sounds to you?
Some ppl are new to their roles and making obvious mistakes mr. Perfect.

1 Like

Had this with a warrior in a 10 key couple weeks back. Not one single shield block or ignore pain haha. He had like 1k raider io too…

I don’t know, but I suspect you mean pointers rather than printers, unless you’re secretly Azeroth’s number one office supply salesman. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

While I agree on being some responses being a wee bit brutal. Basing on what I’ve seen in my runs and to an extent raids many DPS seriously lack in environmental awareness. And tbh I can’t blame them. The leveling process and entry dungeniering/raiding does nothing to encourage them to learn it. All the pressure is being done on: DO MORE DPS! DO MORE DPS!. Hells…even in leveling dungeons there are cases where people are getting kicked due to “low dps”.

And when they finally reach the endgame. What have they learned? “DO DPS! MORE DPS! NOTHING ELSE MATTERS! DPPPPPPPPPSSSSSS!!!”

So I agree to an “extent” that dps are uhm…“dumb” but not by choice. Cause if I my work doesnt require it and I have no personal interest in then why the hells should I learn “quantum physics”? Why should dps learn any avoidance skills if up until endgame(higher raiding and M+s) there were never needed?

Did he die?

From a paladin tank POV shield of righteousness gives you damage reduction for 3 seconds, enough for a flash heal if it has enough aggro. What kind of mitigation do you want? The CD ones? Ok palatank has instant heal as partial mitigation, but if you know how to play it well it might help the healer a bit healing yourself up while mitigation is still running.

Typo man, thx. But if it interest you there’s an offer this month on HP printers. If you could just leave your name and email I’ll have our department contact you … XD

2 Likes

You main healer?
You will have this no matter what, its how “its done” in WoW for many years, healers are always the ones to blame. Healer myself, dont get blamed so much but hey you will always find a random noob that will blame his death on you… Sad but true.

Well when that happens, unless the key belongs to a friend i just say: Not gonna bother with you and leave.

He blames? If you leave its not YOU who destroy the group, its him.
Never stay there and take the blame, he wont stop no matter what and if he cant use his 3-4 buttons you should not even bother boosting him.

Exactly, this phenomena is by vast majority on the melee’s. They are even worse

Isn’t it the healers job to keep everyone above 1 hp, migration is not for real men

I have only seen the BC - Wrath part but I do remember to hate these last few levels when I suddenly realized the journey is over and I had no interest in joining a guild to do raids. But we had a badge vendors for some gearing ( was it dungeons at Max lvl they came from for pve ? ) in WotLK if I recall correct, so I somehow managed to stick through, while I knew nothing about the game at all.

Looks at talent tree :no_mouth:, sees that it’s comprised of three different ways of stabbing things

Ouch :frowning:

Need a talent get out fire :fire:?
It’s build in.
Press movement buttons to avoid this pesky mechanic :slight_smile:

only 5 buttons left in the game but still people cannot figure out how to press those buttons, really amazing.
Probably understand now why Ion says people are too stupid for pvp vendors