"that guy" group/raid leads

I am puzzled by some group/raid leaders to hold themselves to the same standards they try to hold others.

There seems to be some guys listing on the ground finder and asking for some massive item level while themselves are nowhere near that item levels they ask of others.

A case example is today some dude listing Mythic Eternal Palace asking for 465+ only so he declined my around 462 druid while he was around ilvl 444…

I can understand someone trying to assemble a group and having high standards for everyone including themselves but it seems really shady to see someone trying to boost themselves like that.

I just wanted to get this out of my chest, later I managed to get in a heroic group and we eventually cleared everything in there (we went basically blind).

1 Like

This is why “just make your own group lol” is dodgy advice when it comes to pugs.

3 Likes

These people are looking for boosts, that’s all. I would have 380 tanks in EP heroic constantly dying while I was co-tanking. They just wanted free loot and beg for every drop in whispers.

5 Likes

Yes, imho the leader needs to be someone who can: assemble the correct group, know how to tell everyone how to do their role in the raid and generally to act as an example to the rest of the group.

1 Like

The leader needs to be someone who can lead. If the content is easy enough that we can carry their undergeared alt, I generally take no issue with it. And when I do, I only think to myself, I do not like this deal and will not be part of it. I do not fault the leader for offering the deal or others who accepted it for doing so.

I want to think that going blind into last tier’s mythic did not end too well

Yea they wanted to get carried.

Why are there still people who are surprised?

2 Likes

Yeah, why go small when you can go xl. Skip normal and heroic and go straight to mythic, don’t know any tactics but meh just breeze through it with the random team you assembled by item level. Guaranteed loot this is.

Honestly many people today think they can get boosted in everything.

It’s often I encounter the same type of people who just like the thread creator explained requests high ilvl when they are much lower than that themselves. Sometimes I’m on an alt and think ”let’s sign up for this raid, I have after all 6/12M on r,io (main) and decent ilvl”. But it’s actually extremely common to get declined for some reason, which is again most likely due to the fact that the group creator wants to get boosted.

Don’t start with ”but the person is the leader, she or he can do whatever they want!”. A raid leader don’t do anything other than saying ”BL at pull; do this and that and move there”, and invite people.

1 Like

I’ve said this many times before. Those people are not leaders. Simply glorified groupformers. They have no leadership qualities.
A good leader is someone who can take a group of PuGs and organize them in such a way to be effective. That is done by passing on their knowledge onto the group and make adjustments also.

Also there is that other type of leader that fails to see context and looks only at deaths and damage meters.
I was on that same 461 (454 equiped) boomkin and doing normal Nyalotha for echoes of mortality. We were breezing all the bosses until they hit Nzoth. At that point like 5+ people went controlled at the start of phase 2 LFR-style so I relaxed because the wipe was imminent and eventually got killed by one of the controlled guys.
As soon as I died I got pruned out the group because for low dps since I was not trying to inflate my dps in the meter by dotting irrelevant targets…

And then there are those that stand on the sidelines and complain that others do it wrong but never step up themselves to set an example.

2 Likes

thats pretty normal. supply & demand

there are so many 465 people out there wiling to join those groups that people can easily ask for those levels.

you dont like it you can always leave if you see that lead has like 300k hp .

Because it is takes less qualifications to recognize that someone is doing something wrong than to know to do the same thing the right way themselves.
The same way one can recognize that a certain dish is way overcooked/over-seasoned without knowing the how to make one themselves. You just need to have eaten the proper dish before.

thats only partialy why you were kicked.

there are so many people who look just for Nzoth kill for +3 coruption resistance. that he could pick and choose in 470 people.

your only chance was realisticaly if you one shot it.

you must be new to pugging if you belived you can relax.

These people are looking for a boost.
It’s best to avoid them.

But to be fair, most of the time the queue is clogged with 912839128312938129 dps.

true. but you have only wow forums and streamers to blame for their existence

you told those people for 15 years that they should “form their own groups”

well guess what they listened . and are forming their own groups.

In retrospect I think I should only join pugs as a tank or healer which are more scarce and less subject to meters. I can do all the 3 roles just as well anyway.

But they are calling themselves leaders, which is a big joke.

1 Like

you can always make your own group with proper leadership