"That name is unavailable"

Yeah, taken by a level 1 on an account that has been inactive since MoP…

Goodness gracious. Characters which haven’t been logged into for a certain amount of time should be listed for a name change. Atleast if they are not in the higher levels, like 100-120.

People take a name and then never play again. Gosh…

Even worse is when they try to sell it. Uggghhhh…

11 Likes

The system currently works that the account holder has to be inactive for two expansions.

6 Likes

That name is unavailable… It’s like the story of my life on Silvermoon. :unamused:

6 Likes

We suffer a great deal naming on busy servers. My Allies are on Silvermoon and my Horde on Draenor.

3 Likes

if someone picks Bukachu as a name, <threat< <threat< <swearing< <more threats<

I like it better this way tbh, it makes you go creative instead of picking generic names.

1 Like

You can create a Ticket in such cases and get the Name released.

@Bloodlock: That option has been “removed”.

4 Likes

Just say it, it has been pruned.

Didn’t know that. :neutral_face:

Indeed that system went some time ago.

3 Likes

That’s the way the Kooki crumbles

12 Likes

what was the name u need …?? :joy::joy:

I have “Calf” on draenor if you want that name, i was going to reroll a new mage but i really cant be arsed leveling so its going to waste.

2 Likes

And here I was planning to make a nelf priestess named “Elunara” when Classic would hit… and then sell her name for a few packs of gold.

Now I feel bad thinking about it because of you meanies.

If you want to have names that have been unavailable previously, you have to attempt when new expansion prepatch comes. Apparently that already counts as another expansion even if the actual content is not released yet.

I reserved names for my zandalari troll and kul’tiran human back during bfa prepatch. I expected to get to use them earlier, but they still sit unused until those races become available.

As far as blizzards inactive character names policy goes, it has been pretty much unchanged for a long time. You just have to be quick when you want a name or you will have to pick another name.

I remember how I had alt with awesome name during tbc, I think. Then I made the stupid thing and deleted it. Next time I wanted it during wotlk, it was already in use. I was finally able to pick it only recently.

Be more original.

2 Likes

IMO There should a level threshhold, like under level 60 names would expire in two months if that character hasn’t been logged on during that time.

My argument is that characters at 60 and beyond might’ve been used passionately before and thus their name holds a value.

Of course you could over-engineer it and have 60+ character names locked only if they were played during Classic, 70+ if played during TBC and so on, using the inactive for two whole expansions method.

The real estate under 60 should be much more free.

I can’t see them doing that. It would take so much more work to manage. I would be upset to lose any character name under 60 just because I’ve not got back to it yet.

5 Likes

Exactly, the negatives counter the positives.

I think the point was to reserve the name.