The alliance lost nothing

At least nothing that’s valuable. This story is driven by characters. Not entire races. The alliance will always be on top with character representation cuz the devs self inserts are all humans. So the alliance fans better stop complaining about things that don’t matter for the bigger story. Get over it.

2 Likes

We lost a lot of brain cells reading your trash on this forum, so give us a break. Thank you very much.

27 Likes

If you are trying to argue that the Alliance lost just as much as the Horde in terms of CHARACTERS now in the story since Vanilla…no, just no :stuck_out_tongue:

one thing is being biased thinking that some of the Alliance characters have some kind of involvement in the corruption of Arthas (which they did by the way, Terenas, Uther, Muradin and Jaina all influenced him on his dark path in some way, mainly with their inaction and passivity), and so the Alliance as a faction might have a degree of responsibility on him as a whole, but about losing characters for the story in general, that’s pretty much clear…I mean it’s factual to the point that you can just count them, and the Horde has lost WAY more of them in comparison to the Alliance ( and the fallen ones in the Alliance are pretty minor/not as famous in comparison to the Horde, except Varian I guess)

I mean let’s get real now…you can literally count them if you don’t believe us…that’s not even close…

2 Likes

Pretty much this here. Yes.

The story may be driven by characters, but since the story sucks, I don’t see why anyone cares. The world I want to enjoy on the other hand is made up of beautiful places with more or less interesting history - and the Alliance continues to lose more and more of those that were theirs. So… yeah, cities feel loads more important to me than any single character. As far as I’m concerned you can kill off our whole cast, without exception, and if I get some nice, lived-in places for my side for it, I’ll make that deal any time. Badly written characters can be replaced in an instant, with minimal effort. Your priorities are just screwed.

Apart from that… if the stories are driven by characters, ANY driving character is a loss. The thread title is stupid, even if the Horde lost more.

5 Likes

How many annoying threads has this ADHD Blood Elf made? What’s next? The Alliance is the only true evil in Azeroth?

6 Likes

3… 2… 1…

7 Likes

Yeah but for many others it’s the opposite, a few Night Elf fans here in the story forum in primis.

They said it was ok for them to lose Teldrassil AS LONG AS two iconic leaders as Tyrande and Malfurion are still alive. Once they are gone (or one of them is gone), they will unsub.

And I understand them- losing characters is worse (not just if they die, but even if just they leave like Sylvanas, or get corrupted like Kael’thas) because you lose the connection with the characterization that you loved about that character in particular, especially if it is a famous/historical lore character. You get a sense of betrayal alongside a sense of loss. Even if you are attached to the zones of Azeroth more, places like capitals and starting zones are not constantly updated in WoW so the impact is generally way weaker, and Night Elves and Forsaken can get their own new place in the world later in the future anyway.

I mean I could make plenty of examples of this. Sure, a lot of Alliance players felt terrible over the loss of Theramore but the survival of an iconic and historical character like Jaina mitigated that loss by a lot. Now if the opposite had happened (Jaina dies because of the Mana Bomb, but with her death she manages to save the city of Theramore), I think the outcry of the Alliance playerbase would have been far, far greater.

All I want is blizzard to stop killing horde characters. This is how I experienced the horde in the early days.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/4a/29/14/4a2914f4417fc7b50f8a9d740d766378.jpg

Now frkn Valeera and Calia represent us. That’s how wrong things turn out to be currently. The horde has fallen down far.

I know that the alliance are the good guys. Blizzard has made that painfully obvious ever since mop.

That doesn’t do anything to make the thread less stupid. So Erevien chose an area to focus on where the Horde “wins” in loss count. That’s no excuse to dismiss anyone else’s feeling of loss.

I can assure you, even among those who cared about that “iconic” character that stood around doing nothing most of her time in WoW till that point, many wish she had been spared the “character arcs” that came after, and would rather have lost her there and then.

There is always an outcry over every little thing. Erevien is a prime example of that. I find it more than implausible that you would be able to predict what “outcry” among players you don’t even identify with would be greater.

Nah, all you want is to provoke an reaction, as shown in the title. And I’m feeling generous today, so you got one. Happy Birthday, because whenever it is, you’re not getting another present when it comes.

3 Likes

Actually, I can relate EXACTLY because the Horde lost so many characters, and the outcry is so big and annoying, it’s clearly not just Erevien when quite a lot of people complain on the fate of Sylvanas, and back then they did the same for Garrosh, Cairne, Kael… and overall I wouldn’t wish for the Alliance to experience the same and lose their own important iconic lore characters for nothing, or for a recycled plot we overall just saw in the past (BfA >> MoP)

Cities and zones can be rebuilt, restored, cleansed in time…characters cannot, so it’s generally worse. At least Shadowlands will partially fix this issue when we meet the dead and can learn more of their past behaviour and motivations…unless they get ruined and wasted there as well of course :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

You certainly can relate to those that would be upset. But I don’t see how that would help you to predict the number of people that would be upset.

But they aren’t. The theoretical possibility doesn’t help one bit.

In WoW they can. It happened a few times. But even more, I just don’t see any character that would be worth restoring, if they die. Only ones that were better than their shoddy replacements, but that’s a very, very low bar. I can’t think of a city that wouldn’t be worth restoring.

And even better: Characters can seemlessly be replaced without taxing game designers much, if any. Sometimes the replacement is worse. Sometimes it is better.

I was not trying to argue that at all. It’s pointless with you people.

2 Likes

Dead or gone horde characters that lack good replacements are:

Cairne, Vol’jin, Nathanos, Sylvans(not dead but being villain battet is as good as being dead by raid boss fight soon), Gallywix, Garrosh and General Nazgrim.

1 Like

And Kael’thas (technically he counts for the Blood Elves at least)

Oh and Saurfang (both Varok and his son)

and? I know there are more actually :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Good additions to the roster. I lost count of the many faces we lost over time lmao. Wish at least some of them were still with us.

Loss is part of war, I don’t mind losing so many.
Though Vol’jin was very unnecessary in my opinion.

3 Likes

Sure, but the problem with stories is that a loss is never random, but someone’s decision, that can be criticized. It’s not just someone who was among the many who would inevitably fall, it was a character that they decided had served its purpose, or would do so better if dead. And if you think there was an important story left to tell, or that the purpose they had in mind for the character was not satisfying at all, there is every reason to protest the decision.

That makes it a bit more complicated, I feel.

Wouldn’t say the Alliance lost nothing, as there is a sizeable chunk of story to be told regarding the loss of several key figures as well as the narrative that accompanies the loss of land.

That said, i agree that the way the Horde keeps on losing story drivers a.k.a. protagonists, is starting to take its toll in the overall setting.

As of now, there isn’t really any legacy character left that could compete, in terms of narrative impact, with the likes of Malfurion, Tyrande or Jaina. And as of now, there are at least 4 core races relying on secondaries to have anything resembling a story.

Blizzard just seems unable to pull through some balance destroy/build ratio for the Horde in terms of narrative elements.
The Alliance has a different ailing: they get to keep theirs, but often leave them unused.

1 Like